Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

So what do I do now then - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2005, 08:44 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what do I do now then - HELP

Picked up new scoob last Saturday, part ex'd a Fiat Stilo which was left with the dealer as deposit on 15th May.

The Sales Manager was on holiday when I collected the new car on Saturday, but returned from holiday today and left me a message telling me that there had been a fault found on the steering of the Fiat, and that the Fiat dealer wouldnt carry out the work under warranty as the last service was due in September 2004 (As it had been SORN since August 2004 I had no intention of paying for a service).

The sales manager knew when the last service was done at the point I handed the vehicle over as deposit.

Today he rings me with the insinuation that I should have to pay for the repairs on the fiat, which of course I refused to do. He now says that as he was on holiday, his staff were wrong to let me drive the new car away as the part ex value should be reduced accordingly.

I understand the dealer's position in that they stand to lose money, but surely that is their fault for not getting in touch with Fiat until today to clarify the warranty issue.

What sort of redress would he have if he wished to take it further?

What sort of service can I expect in the future from this dealer, considering it is the only one realistically close enough to get the car serviced etc.
Old 15 June 2005, 08:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, dear, you stitched a Dealer up ............................ basically its tough luck on them UNLESS you signed something saying it was in good condition.

No court in the land will side with a Car Dealer over you, Joe Public, the dealers deal in cars everyday - they take cars on risk, its their business!!

Whether he was on holiday or not makes no difference whatsoever, YOU are not responsible for the internal management of the dealership!

Don't expect a great reception when you need them, however ........ if they can get their cash back then they will

Pete
Old 15 June 2005, 08:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Well done lad..

I wonder if the fiat sold for the screen price, instead of what they really want for it, do you reckon they would send you a cheque? I dont think so.

That is whats called "you win some, you loose some" and believe me they win a lot more than they loose.
Old 15 June 2005, 09:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Is is up to them to do the nessaray checks on any car they part-ex. If you go and buy a car out of Autotrader and alike, have a look at the car, agree a price, then once it belongs to you, you find a fault, take it back to the seller and demand a refund to cover the cost, what's he going to say? "Sold as seen mate, you should have checked the car properly". That is what you should say to the dealer. You should ask if he was that concered about your car, why not get it up on the ramps, have a good look, and do any checks relating to Service/warranty.
Personaly, I traded my Focus RS in for a MY05 STi. The pads were vertually shot down to the metal on it, I'd bought a set of pads for an eye watering £277, but traded it in before I fitted them. Now unless the dealer checked the pads prior to giving me a trade in price I was keeping stum. They would have made more than enough off me with the deal to cover the cost of pads many times over.
Stick to your guns mate, you have your new car, ignore his calls, or tell him to take you to court. He'll soon go away then, cos he'd never win.
Look at how many second hand cars are sold threw dealers that have something wrong with them, then the dealers try to wriggle out of putting it right.
At the end of the day, all he is concered about is that his commision is reduced. That's what he is p***ed off about. F**k him.
Old 15 June 2005, 09:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Question jbwrx300.

What were you doing with a Fiat Stilo in the first place ???????????? lol.
Old 15 June 2005, 09:17 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, they day after I gave them the car (15th May), he traded it on to another dealer, who picked it up, drove it 5 miles and drove it straight back and told them about the steering fault and asked them to get it fixed before they would pay for it. Fair enough?

So my position is that I have completed the deal, they have fcuked up by not sorting it A MONTH after they knew about it. I dont see how they can do anything, but I just thought I'd check.

A victory for the little man!

With regards how did I come to have that lump of ****e - I frequently ask myself - I honestly think I had a moment of sheer madness 2 1/2 years ago. Paid £15k, now worth £6k. It was that **** I couldnt sell it and ended up with a BMW Z4 instead for the last year, which is why the fiat was SORN.

Last edited by jbwrx300; 15 June 2005 at 09:21 PM. Reason: answering last question
Old 15 June 2005, 11:56 PM
FiNbAr
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
Just to clarify, they day after I gave them the car (15th May), he traded it on to another dealer, who picked it up, drove it 5 miles and drove it straight back and told them about the steering fault and asked them to get it fixed before they would pay for it. Fair enough?

So my position is that I have completed the deal, they have fcuked up by not sorting it A MONTH after they knew about it. I dont see how they can do anything, but I just thought I'd check.

A victory for the little man!

With regards how did I come to have that lump of ****e - I frequently ask myself - I honestly think I had a moment of sheer madness 2 1/2 years ago. Paid £15k, now worth £6k. It was that **** I couldnt sell it and ended up with a BMW Z4 instead for the last year, which is why the fiat was SORN.
If he continues to be a lippy barsteward, tell him you've consulted Trading Standards and the C.A.B. and have been advised that you have no case to answer. End of.

Enjoy your new car. (and well done mate!)

Trending Topics

Old 15 June 2005, 11:58 PM
FiNbAr
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by FiNbAr
If he continues to be a lippy barsteward, tell him you've consulted Trading Standards and the C.A.B. and have been advised that you have no case to answer. End of.

Enjoy your new car. (and well done mate!)
p.s. Many of us have had similar lapses. I am ashamed to admit to having owned a Fiat Punto "Sporting" for nearly 16 months. I was doing a lot of drugs back then...
Old 06 August 2005, 09:24 AM
scooboro
Scooby Newbie

WELL DONE!! THEY HAVE BOUGHT YOUR STEEELO ON THE BASIS "AS SEEN" TELL THEM TO GO AND GET FOOOKED!!! GOT UR SELF A 300 THEN??