Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

PIAA wipers, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2004, 05:15 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA wipers, any good?

anyone use them? if so did you buy just the refill blades or the whole carrier/blade? if just refills, did they fit ok?

any feedback from users?

ta
Old 26 September 2004, 05:31 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I bought the full blade(s) for my last scoob. They were loads better than normal wipers to start with but i think a lot of that was down to the sachets of windscreen treatment they supply with them (it's like Rain-X).

After a few months they weren't much better than a new set of boggo Bosch wipers. I will buy another set eventually but my current scoob had new Bosch wipers fitted as part of the MOT when i bought it.

I'll replace them with PIAA when they wear out a bit.

Oh, don't buy the carbon effect ones like i did (they were out of stock of black ones and i needed some asap), they look awful in a "Max Power" way.
Old 26 September 2004, 05:37 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Used them before - very good, but they didn't last that long. To be honest, I would buy a set of good quality wipers (such as Bosch) and use Rain-X. Cheaper, lasts longer and you get the same result.

Chris
Old 26 September 2004, 05:48 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Had a tour of Prodrive recently and noticed a set of carbon Piaa wipers fitted to a customer spec S9. Can't be that bad!

Last edited by Mal K; 26 September 2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 26 September 2004, 05:56 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yeah but i bet they were proper carbon fibre though weren't they? The ones i bought were metal with fake carbon fibre effect printed on them in silver and black. Worst bit was I could see them through the windscreen, so had to look at them every time i drove the car. *shudder*

They'd have looked great on a Saxo.
Old 26 September 2004, 05:59 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Think they're great. I make sure my screen is cleaned frequently and I use Rain-X. Far better than the standard wipers on my 03WRX which squeaked from new. As Iwan's post, make sure you order black.

Oh, and I didn’t replace just the blade as the PIAA ones were a slightly different length to my original ones.
Old 26 September 2004, 07:43 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use rain-x then you dont need wipers

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2004, 08:40 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers guys
may give rain-x a go first as TBH my wipers aren't that knackered, just keep getting a film of ****e on it. used glass wax(autoglym) and that's fine, just doesn't last very long. does rain-x last stay on the screen a bit longer?
Old 26 September 2004, 08:47 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
cheers guys
may give rain-x a go first as TBH my wipers aren't that knackered, just keep getting a film of ****e on it. used glass wax(autoglym) and that's fine, just doesn't last very long. does rain-x last stay on the screen a bit longer?
I just re-apply about once a month ...a small bottle lasts for ages. you can also get a washer bottle treatment but i`ve not used this.
Old 26 September 2004, 08:55 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Where can you get rain x from, I've not heard of it before?
Old 26 September 2004, 09:15 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
Where can you get rain x from, I've not heard of it before?
Halfrauds sell it. It also comes in a twin pack with glass cleaner.
I've used the washer treatment and I don't think it actually did anything
Old 26 September 2004, 10:12 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

If you're a member of Costco buy it from there. You get twice as much for approx 1/2 price fo Halfords.
Old 27 September 2004, 12:59 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Used Rainex and bought PIAA blades. Expensive but worked well for three or four months but their effectiveness reduced so now back to Rainex but the PIAA extends its life. I find re-applying Rainex regularly a pain in the *** but the benefits and added safety are worth it.
Old 27 September 2004, 06:33 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Tell you what's good too, Rain-X make a washer bottle additive. You only need a tiny squirt added to each bottle, in the summer i just use that and water. It does a great job cleaning the windscreen and you don't get loads of horrible run-marks all over your paint. The additive is supposed to put a thin layer of Rain-X on every time you wash the windscreen.

Good stuff, usually with the washer fluids in Halfords.
Old 27 September 2004, 12:53 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
I just re-apply about once a month ...a small bottle lasts for ages. you can also get a washer bottle treatment but i`ve not used this.
Just be prepared to replace your rubber more often around your windscreen as it rots rubber, have had it happen on my TVR.. I dont touch it now.. just my thoughts..

J
Old 27 September 2004, 02:43 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo
Just be prepared to replace your rubber more often around your windscreen as it rots rubber, have had it happen on my TVR.. I dont touch it now.. just my thoughts..

J

I dont intend replacing windscreen rubbers at all ,let alone often
Old 27 September 2004, 05:37 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

I dont intend replacing windscreen rubbers at all ,let alone often
Well if you carry on using rain x you wont have much choice, you will have to. Goto motoring forums on usernet and do a search for rain x... just warning you.. its upto you what you do or dont do..
As for being cockoo.. ash motoring experts what they think of the stuff you wont be calling other people cockoo's then i can assure you, just be thinking you are one yourself for abusing your car...:-)

J
Old 27 September 2004, 06:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Yeah but i bet they were proper carbon fibre though weren't they? The ones i bought were metal with fake carbon fibre effect printed on them in silver and black. Worst bit was I could see them through the windscreen, so had to look at them every time i drove the car. *shudder*

They'd have looked great on a Saxo.
Oi...

I've got the carbon effect blades on my STi, and I think they actually look quite good. Not max power at all IMHO

As for quality, I've had two lots of Bosch wipers so far and been pretty unimpressed. I've had the PIAA blades on for about 8 months now and they're as good as the day I put them on. Clear the screen better than the Bosch blades ever did....
Old 27 September 2004, 07:38 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Well if you carry on using rain x you wont have much choice, you will have to. Goto motoring forums on usernet and do a search for rain x... just warning you.. its upto you what you do or dont do..
As for being cockoo.. ash motoring experts what they think of the stuff you wont be calling other people cockoo's then i can assure you, just be thinking you are one yourself for abusing your car...:-)

J
Just one other point !!! I actually treat the windscreen with rain- x, not the rubbers and there is no reason to get it on the rubbers either so whats your problem.
Old 27 September 2004, 07:41 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Sorry Iain, no offence intended!

I think i'll have to get another set really, what with winter approaching. If that's true about Rain-X additive then it's going in the bin!
Old 27 September 2004, 07:52 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Just one other point !!! I actually treat the windscreen with rain- x, not the rubbers and there is no reason to get it on the rubbers either so whats your problem.
just gone out and bought the rainx apply to the screen stuff and the bottle of rainx to put in your washer bottle, i'm guessing that's what jimbos getting at? seeing as your jets will put the stuff everywhere.

i'll keep a good eye on the rubbers though, cheers for the advice

i agree with you aswell iain, the bosch wipers are ****! got some halfords own for half the price and they're lasting twice as long

just read you had your problems on the TVR jimbo, shocker that (only kidding)
Old 27 September 2004, 07:53 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I think i'll have to get another set really, what with winter approaching. If that's true about Rain-X additive then it's going in the bin!
Dont bin your rain-x send it to me
good luck mate whatever you do.
Old 27 September 2004, 08:04 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

None taken

I've heard some very mixed things about rain-x. Wouldn't touch it myself....
Old 27 September 2004, 08:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

never used itt for a few years but it was fine when i did

how much are halfords own brand wiper blades?
Old 27 September 2004, 08:18 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

no problem at all, think your the one with the little problem, obviously some one has rattled your cage and let you out...:-) talk about touchy...
I didnt intend on getting it on my rubber either which is exactly my point.. but your windscreen wipers touch your windscreen unless you have some special ones..:-) and then touch the rubber, or hadnt you noticed that... There is no talking to some people.. Just telling you what happened in my case.... but you carry on..You can have my 2 old bottles if you like, i was going to throw them in the bin or use them as paint stripper..
J
Old 27 September 2004, 08:22 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

just gone out and bought the rainx apply to the screen stuff and the bottle of rainx to put in your washer bottle, i'm guessing that's what jimbos getting at? seeing as your jets will put the stuff everywhere.

i'll keep a good eye on the rubbers though, cheers for the advice

i agree with you aswell iain, the bosch wipers are ****! got some halfords own for half the price and they're lasting twice as long

just read you had your problems on the TVR jimbo, shocker that (only kidding)
It was a beast hosk and even thought about re-visisting TVR ownership in the last few months and getting a T350, but decided to stay loyal and get a new type 25 - cant wait.. your right about TVR's though , the rubber was the only thing that worked, well until the wipers got that crap on it....:-)
Old 27 September 2004, 08:22 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

can't remember how much the blades were mate, but deffo a good alternative

jimbo, how long did you use rainx before your windscreen rubbers got buggered?
Old 27 September 2004, 08:41 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

no problem at all, think your the one with the little problem, obviously some one has rattled your cage and let you out...:-) talk about touchy...
I didnt intend on getting it on my rubber either which is exactly my point.. but your windscreen wipers touch your windscreen unless you have some special ones..:-) and then touch the rubber, or hadnt y ou noticed that... There is no talking to some people.. Just telling you what happened in my case.... but you carry on..You can have my 2 old bottles if you like, i was going to throw them in the bin or use them as paint stripper..
J
Yea, send your rain-x over.. but watch the dog dont bite you
Old 27 September 2004, 08:51 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

can't remember how much the blades were mate, but deffo a good alternative

jimbo, how long did you use rainx before your windscreen rubbers got buggered?
I used rain x direct onto the windscreen on both my front windscreen and rear screen on both my TVR and MR2 roadster and on both it knackered the rubber. It was so bad on the TIV that the dealer told me that the windscreen was only a bit away from actually falling out and you could actually see the damage. I thought at first that this might be a "feature" of TIVs, as they have many of these. But when i told the dealer i had used rainx they did their usual "oooooooooohhh you dont wanna use that stuff" ramble.. i guess i used it quite regulary (once every 3 weeks application), as the wipers on TVRS are generally crap.. and in some cased stopped working altogether, hence the rain x allowed me to see alot better. In all i used it for about 8 months before we noticed the problems.. The mr2 wasnt as bad but still the dealer picked up on the problems when it went in for service..

This was about 2 years ago i had these problems.. I wrote to the company and didnt get any reply, i was tempted to get my solicitor involved, but in the end put it down to experience..
I guess the stuff may have improved or i may have done something wrong in my application, but i dont think so as i have spoken to alot of petrol heads and almost all have a similar opinions to me.. I tell you what it is good for though.. using on a visor of a race helmet.. so perhaps i might keep it for that in the future..

All in all i have had bad and expensive expeiences with the stuff and i know some people (you know who you are Kev!!), swear by the stuff, now that is fair enough but i wouldnt be being a good citizen if i didnt share my experiences with you all...

anyway these are my opinions and at the end of the day everyone has to make their own minds up..

good luck anyway
J
Old 27 September 2004, 08:58 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Yea, send your rain-x over.. but watch the dog dont bite you
The only thing your dog would bite is its own *****.. i am more scared of my missus than your dog, now she can bite!!!!! .. :-) never seen a more placid thing..
J

Quick Reply: PIAA wipers, any good?