Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Tracker Systems

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2004, 12:19 AM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker Systems

Hi there! I'm relatively new here and I'm waiting for my 1994 WRX to be delivered from Japan (17th Oct). I've sorted out some insurance at last but it must be fitted with a tracker. I was just wondering if anyone knows the best one to go for and if you could recommend a qualified fitter local to Southampton? Also, does anyone know what the yearly subsciption costs are? Cheers chaps/chapettes.

From now until 17th Oct is really going to drag!!

Ben
Old 26 September 2004, 09:35 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My insurance co (Privilage) recommended Tracker Horizon. I have an RAC Trackstar but their customer service sucks big time. I bought the car in feb and my previous insurance co didn't need a tracker device fitted so I didn't subscribe immediately. As my insurance was up for renewal on the 20th Sept, I decided to get my subscription to Trackstar sorted well in advance. I contacted them on the 6th of July by phone and they said they'd send an application pack out straight away. It finally turned up on the 23rd July. I filled it all in along with my credit card details and sent it back next day. 4 weeks later I had still heard nothing back so I contacted them again by phone....it seems my application had been misplaced so they'd send me another pack out. I am still waiting. I phoned them again Thursday 23rd Sept and told them that my theft cover on my insurance is being witheld until proof of installation/ subscription is provided. They said they'd send one out urgently next day delivery. It is now Sunday and I still haven't received and application pack. They won't allow me to pay over the phone and they won't accept faxed copies of the application

I am at the point now where I am just going to give up and pull the Trackstar out and have a different manufacturers fitted. If RAC Trackstar take over 2 months to process an application, how long will it take them to get their ***** in gear and find the car if it is stolen?

Last edited by theotherphil; 26 September 2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 26 September 2004, 11:50 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
I have an RAC Trackstar but their customer service sucks big time
Tell me about it! Had my new STi about 6 weeks now.....they've been faxed the paperwork 4 times, because they reckon it keeps getting lost. They've STILL not sorted it out.

Dealer is getting very pis$ed off with them and he's got 6 cars in the same position. I feel a phone call coming on first thing Monday morning.........
Old 26 September 2004, 01:18 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Thumbs down RAC

Originally Posted by theotherphil
If RAC Trackstar take over 2 months to process an application, how long will it take them to get their ***** in gear and find the car if it is stolen?
They took my application and sorted it out pronto, getting the tracker and the paperwork after they had my money was somewhat difficult!

I chased them up to find out where the box was as the installers kept phoning me to fix up an appointment to fit the tracker.

"The tracker was sent to you last night"
Three days later: "The tracker will be sent to you tonight"
The following week: "We are waiting for our supplier to deliver, we have not had any for the last two weeks"

When it turns up there is no documentation and the installer is raiding his spares bin because theres something missing from the box. On top of that after spending two hours waiting in the cold the installer gets a phonecall from the RAC telling him they activated the wrong SIM when he called them and it would have to wait till tommorow.

I found their installation department pretty good, they turned up when they said they would (two visits) and they had a proffesional attitude when dealing with you over the phone. I was very disapointed by the RAC's manner on the phone several times when I phoned up.
Old 26 September 2004, 08:27 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Replaced RAC Trackstar with Tracker 4 weeks after picking up WR1 as after a dozen phone calls 5 faxes still not activated and dealer sent it recorded.
Crap service Tracker fitted within 48 hours of request.
Old 27 September 2004, 09:39 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Woman you want to speak to is Laura Orange, who is the Customer (no)Service Manager.

Just been told they only use the fax copies for initial installation. Apparently anything from the dealer should be sent by post! WTF?

Perhaps an email to Sam Burton @ IM as they fit the things as standard. Let him know how crap the service is
Old 28 September 2004, 10:47 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

As a further update to my troubles outlined above, the subscription pack was apparently sent out Friday and I have still not received it yet (Tuesday). I rang customer services yesterday and asked to be put through to the CS Manager. The lady I spoke to wouldn't put me through without knowing the details so I had to explain the whole thing again. She went away and when she came back told me that the pack would definitely be here first thing Tuesday. It is now Tuesday and the postie has been.....no subscription pack .

I have just phoned CS again and have asked to speak to Laura Orange (thanks TDT!). I was told that she was in a meeting but she will get back to me asap.

TBH, I think I am just going to make my complaint and then put it in writing. I will remove the trackstar and get a Tracker Horizon or similar fitted. When will these people learn that selling a product is more than just supplying the goods and taking the money? Customer service means everything to me.

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2004, 12:06 PM
Euan Brown
Scooby Regular

I have Tracker Monitor fitted to my Impreza. Its very non-invasive, you just jump and and start it up. Its all wired into ignition, no aerials fitted anywhere etc.

It works.....I've accidentally activated it and within 30 seconds my mobile was ringing.

HOWEVER,
I got it fitted by Toad Installations who do a mobile UK service cos Tesco got me a cheap price. The installation was RUBBISH, it was attached with a CABLE-TIE, where it could be seen when the bootlid was opened!! They re-installed it....not much better. SO I HID IT MYSELF!!!

Subscription = £99 per yr

Basically, I recommend Tracker Monitor, but not TOAD INSTALLATIONS.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:35 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Well, Laura Orange did ring me back and was apologetic when I told her my woes with trackstar. She said she would personally send me out a subscription pack and she would also put an envelope in the pack addressed direct to herself so she could handle the subscription personally.. I also got her direct phone number . She seemed above board. If it is not here by Thursday, I will remove the trackstar and go elsewhere.
Old 29 September 2004, 11:47 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just had the same routine from her as they've lost the form my dealer sent on Monday

Incompetant isn't the word

Old 29 September 2004, 02:33 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that TDT. I did get my subscription pack today from Laura which I promptly filled in and sent back in the envelope provided (also addressed for her attention). With a bit of luck (OK, LOTS of luck), I may eventually get subscribed.
Old 04 October 2004, 09:50 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Laura today....they have not received my application for a renewed subscription as yet. I sent it last Wednesday and it is now Monday. It was a pre-paid 1st class delivery. I find it hard to believe that Royal Mail are responsible for "losing" all mail going to and from Trackstar.

All the while, I am left without theft cover on my Impreza
Old 04 October 2004, 06:27 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Got a phone call from Laura this afternoon. The days mail has arrived and my subscription isn't among it. I was told a backlog of mail (15,000!) arrived from Royal Mail....seems there was a problem that both parties didn't know about.

Sounds like another excuse to me.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Royal Mail have charged them storage for that amount of mail
Old 05 October 2004, 10:08 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

I've just had exactly the same story.....another 500 items have "arrived in a sack" this morning.

I don't know WTF is going on with them.

My insurance co are now getting funny. Even though I've got the certificate that it's installed, they've pointed out that as I haven't (CAN'T FFS!!) pay Trackstar, if the car goes walkies, they may refuse to activate the device.

UPDATE: Just spoken to a guy at IM called Steve. He's not impressed and is getting onto Trackstar. Lets see what happens now!

Last edited by TDT; 05 October 2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:48 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Euan Brown
I have Tracker Monitor fitted to my Impreza. Its very non-invasive, you just jump and and start it up. Its all wired into ignition, no aerials fitted anywhere etc.

It works.....I've accidentally activated it and within 30 seconds my mobile was ringing.

HOWEVER,
I got it fitted by Toad Installations who do a mobile UK service cos Tesco got me a cheap price. The installation was RUBBISH, it was attached with a CABLE-TIE, where it could be seen when the bootlid was opened!! They re-installed it....not much better. SO I HID IT MYSELF!!!

Subscription = £99 per yr

Basically, I recommend Tracker Monitor, but not TOAD INSTALLATIONS.
Euan, How much was the tracker monitor to buy and install if you don't mind me asking??

Anyone - Apart from the Customer Services problems people seem to be having, which is genuinly the better system?

Cheers
Old 06 October 2004, 05:00 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Finally, I am getting somewhere.....I was phoned again today by a Customer Services manager who said my application had still not arrived but they have received authorisation to take my details over the phone. Must have been something I said yesterday when I was a little angry . I promptly gave all of the necessary info and was told they would setup my account and even fax a copy of the certificate to my insurers.

Not bad....from initially asking for a subscription pack to getting subscribed has taken from 9th July to 6th October. I just pray that my Clifford Cat 1 and Blackjax does it's stuff and I don't have to rely on Trackstar to recover my vehicle .
Old 08 October 2004, 01:31 PM
Euan Brown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VTEC to Turbo
Euan, How much was the tracker monitor to buy and install if you don't mind me asking??

Anyone - Apart from the Customer Services problems people seem to be having, which is genuinly the better system?

Cheers
I think Tesco got me the system for £345 fitted (well, not exactly fitted, sorta thrown in the boot!!) and then its £99 for the yr subscription, which they collect about a month later. I think normally, its about £450 fitted, so I saved £100.

I had no problems with the system itself, found it easy to live with.....basically, you didn;t know it was there! I do recommend it.