Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

A visit to TSL and the TSL333

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 11:24 AM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A visit to TSL and the TSL333

I promised to put up a post after my visit to TSL so here we go....

I have an STi7 with PPP except for a ScoobySport midsection and backbox. I wasn't happy with the PPP when it first went on and had the "Piggyback" ECU swapped out for a "proper one" and the uprated Fuel Pump - you need this for the TSL 333.

Ran everything OK for a year but started to wonder what the realistic limit on the internals was since the WR1 is now coming out at 330ish BHP.

Saw the TSL 333 (333 BHP,335 Torque) and thought for the money it sounded ideal. After sticking a post on ScoobyNet with the the usual excellent feedback, this seemed the best way to go without going down the "project" route just yet. Was warned to get a good air filter - cheers guys...

So off to TSL I go for the 333, Green Filter and a Dump Valve

I've posted this in the General section since although this topic started in Drivetrain, I've got some general feedback on TSL as well....

As soon as I arrived I knew it was something different to the "norm". The sales people (wouldn't go as far as calling them that but you know what I mean) are very knowledgable and informative without being pushy.

They have obviously been doing their stuff for many years and really know what they are talking about. You are made welcome and there is an open and relaxed atmosphere.

You can wander round the engineer bay at will (as long as you don't get in the way). The Engineers encourage you to take an interest and will show you what they are doing and why.

You also get to look at some other, very tasty pieces of kit they are working on as well but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say anything about what they are so I won't.

After they put in their 333 base map and the filter, they took the car out. Upon their return they checked a few other things on the car without prompting (e.g. tyre pressures etc).

There really is an overall general atmosphere that they want you to get the best out of your particular package and have it setup well whilst having an overiding concern for your safety - this came up again and again throughout the day and is obviously installed in everyone that works there.

Once a few more tweaks had been made they invited me to go in the back of the car, whilst they tested and adjusted the map - superb. Very interesting to watch them work.

As for the TSL 333 - did it make a "massive" difference in power over a PPP, no. Is there a "noticeable" power increase - yes. What's the biggest difference - very, very smooth and increased power delivery throughout the complete rev range i.e. no noticable power bands anymore. The speed with which you can power through the gears is massively more effective.

Would I recommend it - yes. Would I recommed TSL as a whole - big YES!
Everyone there was very good at their jobs and obviously enjoy working there
- and it shows...

BTW - I also decided to upgrade the front brakes since I'd had a couple of brake fade moments (not funny) and my pads were almost gone. I had the AP Racing 6 pots fitted with vented disks and braided pipes. I spent the drive home and last night bedding them in - how good are they over the standard brembos - one word, stunning!

I'm more than happy with the power, braking and handling of the car for now and will start running it as a "project" car later - probably in Spring next year with 500 Bhp/Torque as a useful target...

Last but not least - the above is my opinion and my opinion alone - I'm not going to get into the "well when I was there..." I've read peoples posts on here many times and thought it was my turn to give back - nothing more.
Old 21 April 2004, 11:46 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

It's always nice to be treated with a bit of respect when spending serious amounts of Money, Have been very tempted to get the PPP on my WRX 03 re maped for a smoother power delivery, the more posts on here like yours makes it more difficult not to pick the phone LOL ! have fun.

John
Old 21 April 2004, 11:51 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

i too was very impressed by tsl,spot on people and spot on service.my remap according to three dealers is like yours-smoother and more driveable and more powerful than ppp and you cannot beat the groupn bb at 6500rpm
martin
Old 21 April 2004, 01:18 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Knobby

It's not clear from your post but did you leave the PPP downpipe on the car or swap the entire exhaust system for the TSL items? I'm not being picky but you haven't got the TSL 333 unless you have their exhaust system too!

Mark
Old 21 April 2004, 01:24 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Since I already had the PPP done but replaced the mid-section and back box they tested their map with what I had and it checked out OK.
Old 09 July 2004, 11:42 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

BTW - I also decided to upgrade the front brakes since I'd had a couple of brake fade moments (not funny) and my pads were almost gone. I had the AP Racing 6 pots fitted with vented disks and braided pipes. I spent the drive home and last night bedding them in - how good are they over the standard brembos - one word, stunning!
Me too, MUCH better isnt it.
Old 09 July 2004, 12:59 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

How much do they charge for the TSL 333 ??

Pm me if you want

Just curious at the moment as have a few other options & DONT want the PPP

Thanks

Stephen

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2004, 01:59 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Base price is £650 + VAT but it really does depend on what it is you've already had done and if they can make use of it (see above).

Best bet is to give them a bell 0115 937 7200

They're a friendly bunch and very knowledgeable...
Old 09 July 2004, 11:06 PM
STIste
Scooby Regular

Cool Wonderful Ain't It!

Ok, I have the TSL333 remap on a PPP base (Same perameters/method of map etc as the full 333) so Prodriv Exhaust & Fuel Pump with TSL Filter & Map.
Car did 330 BHP & 309 LBft on a RR which was generally agreed to be producing 'about right' on the other 20+ cars.
Forget the smallish increase in power though, the car is transformed. "Smooth" was the RR testers assessment, my assessment as the driver is that it pulls better/longer/smoother/faster, power is there when you want or need it (low down punch & plenty of action still at 6500) rather than a long wait/kaboom/nothing. If you have PPP & don't like the way it drives/delivers the power like I didn't then this is the answer. If you haven't got any mods & want some then try PPP & this back to back & decide (Warranty will be a major factor for some).
Check out the comparison test in Evo mag a few months ago which came out after I had mine sorted so told me what I already knew!
Old 10 July 2004, 12:33 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm very nearly ready to book my MY03 WRX PPP into TSL, and £1400 and 5 hours later, I should have, hopefully, approx 290lb torque/290 bhp, with superior quality driveability to match. Many of our friends here go on about 'the warranty' but all I have in my warranty booklet is a huge list of what ISN'T covered, and where it says what IS covered, is just the single word 'general'. I really wonder how damn stressful it would be, in reality, having a warranty claim from Subaru. Oh yes, Subaru go to great lengths to tell us what IS NOT covered. Not worth the paper its written on.
Old 10 July 2004, 08:06 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Oh yes, Subaru go to great lengths to tell us what IS NOT covered. Not worth the paper its written on.
I take it you 've never claimed on a Subaru warrenty? probably the best warranty i've had, no stress just book it in and it gets fixed. What more do you want?
Old 10 July 2004, 08:37 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i agree with stiste having had my car firstly remapped and then remapped with downpipe alterations,3 subaru dealers said it was much better than ppp with them saying it was much smoother and driveable with one dealer saying it was not a ppp map as it was too smooth with minimal jerkiness.one dealer commented that his mechanics sid mine was the fastest new age sti they had driven!!
a very happy customer of TSL
Old 12 July 2004, 09:36 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Martin

You/they need to drive one with the latest map then. Stan Palmer and Crossroads both have demo cars as will any other dealer that had it fitted in the last 2 months.

Mike
Old 12 July 2004, 09:50 AM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Knobby.. and others!!

Glad that you are a happy customer! .. The team and I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again for the business and don't get any tickets with the extra "ooomph"

take care

paul
Old 12 July 2004, 10:43 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Martin

You/they need to drive one with the latest map then. Stan Palmer and Crossroads both have demo cars as will any other dealer that had it fitted in the last 2 months.

Mike
Perhaps it would be nice if this could be offered as an upgrade on existing PPP,s ?
JohnD
Old 12 July 2004, 10:50 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Mike has the WRX PPP also been smoothed out as well, I have early feb 03 PPP, would be willing to pay the going rate for an upgrade if it's possible.

Many Thanks

John
Old 12 July 2004, 01:20 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

I take it you 've never claimed on a Subaru warrenty? probably the best warranty i've had, no stress just book it in and it gets fixed. What more do you want?
I beg to differ.... Useless......

I find my chocolate fire guard is better.
Old 12 July 2004, 03:46 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

re warranty i have had 1 claim for poor paintwork on a p1 boot refused-according tosubaru it is due to my style of driving!,still waiting to hear back re one fog light cover being pebbledashed and the other being fine!!? and i am sure i will receive the same response.
re ppp i have not driven an o4 ppp yet but get regular drives in a late spec 03 ppp which is as jerky as my ppp was.what has prodrive done to get the "smoothness" and can it be retrofitted!
i hear there could be a wr1 special edition in september??
martin
Old 12 July 2004, 04:01 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Trouble is paint defects can be very subjective, however if I have WRX 03 PPP that engine and gearbox wise is completly standard and I have had the car serviced in accordance with IM service schedule by suppling UK dealer , then the engine blows up in normal use I would expect the warranty to be honoured.

John
Old 12 July 2004, 10:52 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Well ............. if Prodrive / Subaru offer a different map to the PPP(305Bhp) then i may consider before i go down the TSL route, but if they dont then its TSL for me

The PPP available at the mo is basically pants & not worth the 2k asking price IMHO spend slightly less & get more power

Any views to my comments would be appriecated as i am looking at september to october as when my toys get fitted

Thanks

Stephen
Old 13 July 2004, 11:36 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

test the demonstrator at tsl with their thundercat,chargecooler ,18" wheels and 6pot brakes-how much money have you got??
martin
Old 13 July 2004, 12:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by p1doc
test the demonstrator at tsl with their thundercat,chargecooler ,18" wheels and 6pot brakes-how much money have you got??
martin
Enough

I think i might do that
Old 21 July 2004, 12:52 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Is it commonly accepted that the STi7 PPP (non piggy-back version) has jerky or hesitant power delivery? Mine certainly does. Indeed I complained to the dealer about this before the last service. I was told that this would be resolved by the service (which included spark plug change). There was no discernable difference except for economy. I'm convinced that as time goes on, the problem's getting worse.

Any thoughts?

D.
Old 21 July 2004, 01:00 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Exactly what I found - the dealer did their best but the only thing they could do was reset it each time it got bad.

The "jerkyness" would then creep back in again.

Even tho the PPP took out the awful (and dangerous in my opinion) initial Turbo lag (especially out of junctions etc) the map was never that good. Still slow to come on boost and then tails of at the top.

The TSL map comes on boost very quickly and keeps it's power all the way upto the rev limiter...

DJB - where are you? If you're in the North come to the Fenay bridge meet or Buckles and I'll take you out for a ride in mine - you'll feel the difference immediately
Old 21 July 2004, 01:06 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

KnobbySP1

I'm up in Glasgow, so unfortunately probably a bit too far away.
What did the TSL package involve and was it just a remap or did you require new parts as well?
How much did it cost?

Thanks.

D.
Old 21 July 2004, 01:08 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Not being funny mate but start on page one with my first post that started the thread then work your way down...

If you don't find all the answers you need, let me know
Old 21 July 2004, 03:51 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

What you had done to your car was the TSL re-map not the TSL333.

The TSL333 consists of TSL exhaust / fuel pump / green cotton filter / re-map.

I have had the same as you done, as well as alloys, roof vent etc etc. Paul and the gang are top guys and Gals to say the least. Big thumbs up from me.
Old 21 July 2004, 03:57 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

KnobbySP1,

How long did the mapping take ? and I take it you weren't driving ?
Old 21 July 2004, 03:58 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Gutmann,

If you want to be funny about it no I did'nt get the TSL333 but for the sakes of feedback on how to get something much better than the PPP in the interests of feedback on Scoobynet I near as damnit did...

TSL exhaust - they checked and said they could use what I had - see first post in this thread
Fuel Pump - upgraded pre-going to TSL - again see my first post
Green Cotton Filter - fitted at TSL
Re-map - done by TSL

So in-terms of feedback (as stated originally) I felt it useful to put it up on Scoobynet since I'd gone round in circles for months looking for a solution.

Best you read a thread before telling me what I did or did not have done
Old 21 July 2004, 04:08 PM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
KnobbySP1,

How long did the mapping take ? and I take it you weren't driving ?
No I did'nt do the driving!! Graham "the main man" was at the wheel, whilst Richard "the mapper dude" was plugged in with a laptop and adjusting whilst being thrashed about

1) When I arrived they took it out to see what they had.
2) Then put base map in and went out to see how it handled.
3) Then did third run to fine tune it (with me in the back!)

Each run was about 1/2 hour but no set route/time - they come back when it's done. Just shows how much effort they go to...!

Total time from start to finish - approx 3/4 hours but it depends on how much of your original kit they can use - best you call them direct and they can give you the low down.

PS - I was there an extra couple of hours after going for the AP Racing brakes

Quick Reply: A visit to TSL and the TSL333