Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Should they cough up?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2004, 03:30 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Should they cough up?

In April last year Osbourne's (no longer a Scoob franchise) incorrectly fitted my cambelt. Car was returned to them in June with judder at idle, they found nothing. 4 visits to Day's yielded nowt but ignorance and eventually A trip to Wilsons (thanks chaps) unearthed the incorrectly fitted cambelt. That's 10 months in total.
I've contacted Osbournes (now Lindhill rover) but they only offered to compensate me for 50% of the bill at Wilsons.
I believe that Osbournes (as was) should surely pick up the whole cost of repair (if not further compensation for their mistake) what do you think?

Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated.

Blobster
Old 03 March 2004, 04:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Blobster,

After the fault was found, legally I believe that you have to give the original bodger the chance to fix it. As you've had the work rectified, I don't believe that you're entitled to a full refund of the work that you commissioned.

Forget the talk of "compensation", we live in the UK, not the USA. What do you want? "Punitive damages"?

I'd take the 50%, safe in the knowledge that a) they're not someone you'll deal with again and b) something is better than nothing.

I had almost exactly the same fight with another garage involving brakes that had been fixed terribly, and ended up getting a "goodwill" payment out of them.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 03 March 2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Well was that the problem or just an easy money to earn money as the dealer isnt there now.

Friend of a friend brought an STi 8 with only a few miles on travelled less than 50 miles and engine blows. Whoops dealer forgot to put any oil in PDI and 1000 mile service

All garages have the odd problem

Last edited by Pro Boy; 05 March 2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04 March 2004, 10:45 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chiark - Thanks for the response,
The English language is a funny thing. When I said 'compensate' I was merely refering to the fact that I have had to pay, from my own pocket, to put right their mistake. I did give them a chance to rectify the problem (although at the time I was unaware as to the nature of the problem) they could find no fault. Because the car is still under warranty, any work has to be carried out by a main dealer. As this garage is no longer a main dealer I had no choice but to go elsewhere. The fault was repaired before I was aware of the nature of the fault.
Pro Boy - I'm not quite sure I understand your post. I think you're saying that the Wilson's dealership has also been known to make a mistake. I'm not out to aportion blame I would just like Osbournes (Lindhill) to admit the mistake (everyone is human after all) and accept responsibility for it. And because I am out of pocket for the above reasons, to meet my expenses. I believe that any dealership providing a service, at cost, has a responsibility of care.
I appreciate your opinions and will post how I get on.
Knowing my luck, not well.
Hey ho.
Blobster