Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

SCOOBYMANIA COMPLAINT Advice required

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2004, 03:12 PM
RustyImpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I brought a second hand Sti7 interior from Scoobymania before Christmas. I made it clear to them that I only required the door cards as I already had the seats & that I required them to be immaculate.

Here is the email which was sent to him with his reply shown next to the questions

" I believe that Ian spoke to you about the interior you have for an STi7
[Mike Tuckwood] Hi Paul,Yes he did briefly.

I am seriously interested in the door panels, Please can you come back to me as soon as possible to let me know how much you want for these
[Mike Tuckwood] I am not prepared to break them up, the interior is for sale complete to include 4 door cards, 2 front seats including sub-frames & runers, both parts of the rear seats. All in A1 condition, the car was only driven 4,000 miles.
I want £700 cash for the interior complete, this is a good price and I expect it will go very quickly.

Also please can you let me know how much the seats will be for sale for as I might also know someone who might be interested !!!!
[Mike Tuckwood] If you want to sort something out between you please do.

Regards

Mike."

Several more emails were exchanged & then we spoke again so i could give him the payment detail. At this time I again confirmed that only the door cards were going in my car & that they must be mint to which he confirmed they were !

When the delivery arrived several days later than promised one of the door panels was damaged. It looked like someone had attacked around the removable bevel around the door handle with a screw driver. There were several gauges taken out with the lighter grey plastic taken out. I contacted Mike & was told to take pics & email them to him !
The main gauging was to the part of the door panel hidden by the bevel however there were many marks around the outside of this bevel making it unsightly!

The reply to the email I sent is shown below :-
"Im not sure do you think it can be repaired ?
[Mike Tuckwood] Well, like I said, from the VERY close up pictures you've taken, it still doesn't look that critical to me. I doubt anyone will ever even see the door handle recess without being a contortionist with a view to micro-analyzing that particular aspect of that particular door card?
Maybe find some paint or permanent marker of a similar tone/colour as the door surround and simply just "touch it in"?

do you have another panel ? [Mike Tuckwood] No, we only had/have the one car, that is the complete interior from that car. I've been offered another full interior but have not seen it yet and doubt it is in as good a condition as that out of the 4K mile car that yours was taken from?

Can we sort out some way of you paying for the repair if it can be repaired ?
[Mike Tuckwood] Not really, if there had been a huge black oil stain and multiple fingerprints on the cloth, then maybe, but for the few hardly visible blemishes on the plastic which can barely be seen, then no. We are not a main dealer supplying fully warranted brand new parts, this interior was sold as what it was; second hand.
Now while it was as you say described as A1, some consideration needs to be allowed for, in that it was second hand A1 clearly there are some very minor scuffs from removal of the handle surround, I can't see that we can do much more in this instance?

The whole interior was at a "giveaway price" as it was there's only so much that it is reasonable to expect.

Best regards

Mike.

I have today spoken to him & he will not refund the £40 that it has cost me to get them repaired.

He has either offered me a £20 credit (repair cost £20 + vat) or if I get the whole lot sent back to him (now repaired, so he will be in a better position than before) he will refund me the cost of the interior less the transport & credit card fee. They were not as described so therefore believe that SCOOBYMANIA should do the DECENT thing & either pay for the repair or arrange collection & refund my card with the full amount.

DO you think that this is acceptable ? I know the legal position as my sister is a solicitor but on a moral stand is this right?! The legal route is very long winded & for £40 + vat isnt worth it, well thats my current feeling at the moment but who knows

The pictures were taken in the dark so havent come out too clearly !

Old 06 January 2004, 03:24 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

if you were not happy when you first recieved the items,why didnt you send it all back for a full refund,there and then?
Old 06 January 2004, 03:26 PM
RustyImpreza
Scooby Regular

It was a whole interior including seats & door cards very costly to send back over £60 apparently !
I also assumed it could be resolved without that being necessary !
Old 06 January 2004, 03:29 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Hardly what I would describe as A1 !
Old 06 January 2004, 03:31 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

True... if you're weren't happy with it, a refund should have been in order. However, from the position you're in now I'd just move on. From those pics alone, that isn't consistent with A1 condition. With the benefit of hindsight, having sight (in person or via picture) before agreeing the purchase would have been sensible. From a 'moral' standpoint, it would have been nice if they'd covered shipping back to them. It's not realistic, since I don't think they're obliged to do so. In reality a 50:50 split on costs is more likely.

So they're now repaired? Fine - use 'em and forget it. In the future, don't buy blind.
Old 06 January 2004, 03:33 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Who did the repair, I have a couple of marks on my interior.

[Edited by barrybudden - 1/6/2004 3:36:24 PM]
Old 06 January 2004, 03:44 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

The marks don't look that bad, take the £20 but never use them again.
Old 06 January 2004, 03:44 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

RustyImpreza, I should just write of the £40 and assume a moral victory. So far, 107 people have read this post, and many will now think twice before buying from these people, so the cost to them is likely to be rather more than £40! Life's too short to get worked up over £40.
Old 06 January 2004, 03:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

dr_ming,
ummm, this was a second hand item, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, the bulk of scoobymania sales are not second hand items, but brand new items.

I still have no qualms whatsoever about purchasing items from Scoobymania. No offence is meant by this to you Rusty.

Hopefully Mike will see this thread and reply to it.

[Edited by Markus - 1/6/2004 4:01:53 PM]
Old 06 January 2004, 04:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

Jesus..who took it off in the first place "Edward Scissors hand"

Its not mint and as mentioned... Its done more damage to the company's reputation than anything....
Old 06 January 2004, 04:20 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I doubt anyone will ever even see the door handle recess without being a contortionist with a view to micro-analyzing that particular aspect of that particular door card?
lol @ I wonder if he was being sarcastic.

It's 2nd hand, one persons A1 is different to anothers.
Old 06 January 2004, 04:22 PM
Simon Lau
Scooby Regular

Maybe find some paint or permanent marker of a similar tone/colour as the door surround and simply just "touch it in"?
LOL

...sorry to hear about your troubles mate, but personally I would not be comfortable with fitting those in my car...
Old 06 January 2004, 04:23 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Take the 20 credit. Too much hassle over small amounts. At least they are offering some form of goodwill as it will be difficult to pin down on the 'A1' description as misrepresentation.

Unlike some other private sales, you would have no chance of even a credit note. Lesson learnt in purchasing 2nd hand bits, move on... experienced in buying a set of components off scoobynet for £60, guess what? tweeters were not provided and seller just say too bad. learnt my lesson the hard way.
Old 06 January 2004, 04:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I believe your complaint has been seen and read by enough people to make a difference.

If this was referred to as A1 then the guy would have trouble lying in bed straight.

Avoid them in future, job done.
Old 06 January 2004, 04:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

A1 means - perfect / as new to most people I would have thought. I suspect "Good condition" with some scuffing / scrapes round the door handles would have been a more acurate description.

The joys of buying sight unseen.
Old 06 January 2004, 04:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

Unlike some other private sales, you would have no chance of even a credit note. Lesson learnt in purchasing 2nd hand bits, move on... experienced in buying a set of components off scoobynet for £60, guess what? tweeters were not provided and seller just say too bad. learnt my lesson the hard way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

hang on.... Did it mention that it was only the Bass/mid units that where for sale????? or did it say a pair of components???

If you where ripped off I would also like to know by who...

There are some dark horses around this site.....
Old 06 January 2004, 04:56 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Are those pictures before or after repair ? If after I'm gutted for you mate as who ever removed them from the car should be shot.
Old 06 January 2004, 04:57 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Luke,

It was advertised as a set of components. Moreover, would any sound minded person pay £60 for just the mids 2nd hand when you could get a complete new set for abt £100? Me think not.

Anyway, will mail you the name if required as the guy I bought it off is quite active on this board. So keeping it anon here.
Old 06 January 2004, 05:01 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

You should be able to get replacement bits from Subaru-I'd imagine they'd be around £20 for those plastic bits.Not the point,but at least every time you look at them you won't get wound up(as I would).
Old 06 January 2004, 05:03 PM
RustyImpreza
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys guys I apprecaite the support
I am unable to replace the damaged part as it is part of the structure of the door card
Old 06 January 2004, 05:20 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hmmm, they do look a bit butchered!
Old 06 January 2004, 07:33 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hmm, they look butchered because Paul has taken a close photograph of them from about 4" away and direrctly in line, which is not really a realistic angle for them to be viewed by.

That aside, Paul made the purchase from me as a motor trade dealer so I cannoit understand why he is complaining here on a public forum. I'll leave you to decide the moral behind that one.

I have no evidence that this damage wasn't caused after supplying the items to Paul. He had a complete second hand interior from an accident damaged car, these very minor chips could have easily been missed and could even have been caused prior to us receiving the car as there were aftermarket speakers behind the door panels.

We take door cards and interior parts off everyday, and have never had a single complaint of damage.

Despite Paul paying through the nose without waiting for a reply to my mail in "fixing" the damage of unknown origin, I made an offer of £20.00 purely out of good will. Paul refused.

I offered to take the whole interior and seats back and he refused that as well.

This is probably the most un-professional approach i've ever seen from a suposed "dealer" over the sale of second hand car interior, but I will claim a "moral victory" by saying that I will not allow this poor show to influence my gratious but unnecessary offer to make a contribution to the repair, regardless of the fact that I don't know when or by who it was damaged.

I understand that "A1" could be interpreted "as perfect", but lets be realistic here.

Mike
Scooby Mania
Old 06 January 2004, 07:35 PM
shkuby
Scooby Regular

coming up to 500 viewers, LOL.
mission accomplished

don't they realise that "YOU HAVE THE POWER" to post on scoobynet and what damage it may do to their reputation?

Old 06 January 2004, 07:43 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

coming up to 500 viewers, LOL.
mission accomplished
<sigh> I'll allow others to respond as they see fit to that?
I am unconcerned about our good name over this matter, as people should now be able to see from my post above and as from reading from some of the previous posts, it is clear that others had twigged that it was hardly as described with a degree of reality.

Edited to add: Why have you hidden the fact that you are a motor trade dealer trading as performanceparts4U.com why are you posting here as RustyImpreza, and not as Fulham71?
I only have one name and ID in here and nothing at all to hide.

Would that also be the seats you have for sale (for a "healthy" price) in the Scoobynet for sale section HERE?

Mike.
Scooby Mania

[Edited by Mike Tuckwood - 1/6/2004 8:05:42 PM]
Old 06 January 2004, 07:44 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

If you have rejected the £20 gesture of good will and also refused his offer of a full refund what more can the man do?
It's only a few tiny blemishes for Christ's sake, pull yourself together man life is too short for **** like that.

Old 06 January 2004, 08:26 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plot thickens
Old 06 January 2004, 08:46 PM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

Me thinks that Mikes last post is very ummm..... revealing in this whole saga. Interesting one this.. wheres me pop corn...

Think some people on here have been a little judgemental when the whole story doesnt appear to have been told.
Old 06 January 2004, 09:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Getting those trims off for the first time is incredibly difficult to do without either damaging hands, or slightly scuffing the surround. The next time you take 'em off you'll find they're a lot easier to remove, but the first time is a nightmare. The very slight damage is understandable IMHO.

Anyhow, you paid 700 quid for the complete interior, and are trying to flog on the seats alone for 800 quid? That hardly smacks of great community spirit to me mate, so you may not get a terribly massive amount of sympathy from some quarters.

With apologies if I have misinterpreted the situation...

Cheers,
Nick.
PS - I am not moving this to another forum despite the original thread poster's request through RTM, as it is exactly to do with Dealer and Third Party questions so belongs here.
Old 06 January 2004, 09:26 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

@Chiark
Old 06 January 2004, 10:45 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Edited to add: Why have you hidden the fact that you are a motor trade dealer trading as performanceparts4U.com why are you posting here as RustyImpreza, and not as Fulham71?
I only have one name and ID in here and nothing at all to hide.

Would that also be the seats you have for sale (for a "healthy" price) in the Scoobynet for sale section HERE?
ROFLMAO! Mike, you bitch!

Quick Reply: SCOOBYMANIA COMPLAINT Advice required