Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Warranty on 2nd hand car?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2003, 07:49 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I bought a Mitsubishi Pajero from my local dealer in February.

The vehicle has been a total disasster from day one. Sorry for this being such an epic post but it is a long story

The numerous problems with the vehicle are as follows:

Incident no.1

On the very first day I took delivery of the vehicle it broke down. I had to call out mechanics, as all the electrics were dead. The mechanics managed to jump start the vehicle and recover it back to the dealers. The vehicle remained in their workshop for a further few days in order for the problems to be investigated. I was informed that it was an electrical problem caused by a faulty wiring from the radio. The vehicle was returned to me in the belief that it was now 100% OK.

Incident no.2

The following week we took the vehicle to England, as we had to visit schools for our children. We experienced escalating electrical problems with the vehicle on the first day. Initially the radio ceased to function, then the entire dashboard instruments failed to work and finally the vehicle completely failed to operate. We called out the RAC who diagnosed a loose alternator belt, which had led to the battery failing to charge once the engine was above tick-over speed. In the opinion of the RAC Patrolman, this fault should have been diagnosed when the vehicle was checked in their workshop. This incident cost us half a day of our holiday and meant we were unable to visit the second school we had arranged to see that afternoon.

Incident no. 3

The following day, whilst driving along the motorway, a large nut fell out from behind the dashboard and landed at my feet. The adjustable steering wheel came completely loose in my hand! This incident alone could have caused a fatal accident. We were advised by PC Andrew Wayland of the Thames Valley Motorway Patrol that the vehicle was dangerous and un-roadworthy and must be repaired before it could be driven any further. After a long time of removing the steering wheel cover, we were able to fix a temporary repair and then had to have a mechanic check it fully when we reached our destination. This incident caused us a further half-day loss and meant we arrived late in the evening for a family celebration in Wales.

Incident no.4

Driving back from Wales to Devon we experienced a repeat of the electrical gremlins from two days before. This time however, it was far more serious as we were in north Devon in failing light and uncertain if we would reach our destination without any instrumentation or main headlights. We had no option but to press on to our hotel and hope to reach a garage in the morning for more repairs.

Incident no. 5

In the morning the vehicle failed to start which meant we had to call out the RAC again. They again checked all the electrics and decided that a new alternator belt was required as there was no more adjustment left in the old belt. The vehicle was recovered to a local garage who agreed to schedule the vehicle in the same day, obtain the parts and repair it. This caused us another completely wasted day due to the unreliability of this vehicle. We paid the garage £50 cash for this repair. On returning to Jersey we gave the invoice to ********** Garage as we had been told that we would be reimbursed for this. That was in February, but to date we have not received any reimbursement.

Incident no.6

Due to the significant time lost on our last visit to the UK, it was necessary for us to return again in early April to complete the many issues left undone due to the chronic unreliability of the vehicle in February. The vehicle ran satisfactorily for the first few days as we drove around Devon. Before leaving Devon, I fully checked the vehicle to ensure that all fluid levels were correct as well as tyre pressures etc as we would be driving up to Wales to stay with friends. At lunchtime we stopped for fuel and food at a motorway services on the M5. Approximately 40 miles after this fuel stop we heard a sudden loud bang. Our first though was that this was a blown tyre due to the noise but we quickly realized that the tyres were OK but the noise had come from the engine compartment. I immediately steered into the left hand lane (from the middle lane), came to a halt and switched on the hazard warning lights. Unfortunately we were near junction 19 by Bristol, just where the motorway passes over the Avonmouth River, and there was no hard shoulder. We immediately phoned the RAC to rescue us as we were an extremely dangerous position with numerous lorries thundering past us. My family was again put in a very dangerous position due to the unreliability of this vehicle. It took the RAC one and half hours to recover the vehicle. Whilst waiting for the RAC, I telephoned ******** Garage and spoke to Tony ****** who advised me to have the vehicle taken to the nearest authorized Mitsubishi dealer. The dealer initially diagnosed a blown head gasket but needed to investigate further.

I have now been advised that Warranty Holdings have refused to pay for the repairs as they have a clause in their warranties that excludes damage caused by overheating. Apparently, a mechanic at the Cardiff dealer told Warranty Holdings that there was no coolant in the vehicle when it was taken to their garage. Warranty Holdings are taking this as an excuse to deny the claim. Firstly, the vehicle had sat by the side of the road for 90 minutes whilst waiting for recovery, which would have been sufficient time for any coolant to drain out. There was a pool of liquid under the car but I did not examine exactly what it was as we were in such a dangerous position. Secondly, on discussing this further with a technical manager at Warranty Holdings he admitted that the coolant might have leaked from the vehicle as we were driving. He further confirmed that if this were the case then we would have had no advance warning of the impending disaster. The temperature gauge can only show excessive coolant temperature if the coolant has not leaked out.

Tony ****** has now advised me than ****** Garage is denying any liability for these repair costs.

It appears clear to me that this vehicle has been of un-roadworthy quality from the first day I collected it. It has suffered a completely unacceptable number of failures, which have caused me significant additional costs and inconvenience. I have had to make an additional trip to the UK and then had to return by air leaving the vehicle (and much of our luggage and bicycles) in Cardiff. I will additionally have to make a third trip to the UK to collect it whenever it is eventually repaired.

WHERE DO I STAND AGAINST THIS DEALER?????????????????????????

Old 29 May 2003, 10:08 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Question

Even I got bored reading all that rubbish

Warranty Holdings have now agreed to contribute £1,000 towards the total cost of £2,700 leaving me to argue wityh the local dealer over the balance of £1,700.

Split 50:50? What does anyone think?????
Old 03 June 2003, 02:15 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Question

Got a meeting with the local dealer at 5.00 pm today.

Any helpful suggestions?
Old 03 June 2003, 03:56 PM
Scooby New
Scooby Regular

What a nightmare!!

Put in a counter-claim for all the unplanned "out of pocket" expenditure you encountered due to a continually unreliable and dangerous vehicle. Make it at least £1700 to even things out and push for a "let's call it quits" situation - they sort the car out and don't charge you and in return you don't present them with a bill for all the inconvenience and expense the car has cost you. Not to mention putting your family's lives in danger on a number of occasions (which can be backed up by the police).

Stand up for your rights - £1700 is a lot of cash to you but it's nothing to them.

Good luck,
Steve