Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Servicing Costs

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2001, 12:49 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a car that's as quick as a Porsche, I find the servicing costs remarkably cheap. 100 quid for a 7.5k, 160 quid for a 15k, 350 quid for a 30k. Compare that to BMW/Merc/Saab prices.

Parts are quite dear if you go the official route, but for example you can buy an AP Racing clutch for around 450 quid.

What you really need to budget for is pads (should get decent ones for <100 quid a pair), discs (say 200 a pair) and tyres (400 a set). Reckon on about 15k on a set of tyres, 20k on a set of pads, 30k on a set of discs? And the standard exhaust is (a) crap sounding and (b) made of mild steel, so reckon on 300 quid for a decent one.
Old 01 August 2001, 11:44 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

It has been my dream for the last 2 1/2 years to buy a Impreza turbo. After saving hard and imminently about to enter the "less likely to have an accident age range" i.e. 25 at the end of August (feeling old now!) I'm finally in a position to realise the dream.
That is until my father (a sales manager of a Vauxhall dealership) expressed his complete distain about it. Every since he's been telling me scare stories about the prohibitive servicing and parts cost of a Subaru (a new clutch costs £1000? - however likely that it won't go wrong).

I think he's partly worried about his son getting a car almost as fast as a Ferrari and killing myself and also he'd love to sell me a nice (cheap to service!) Vectra SRI.

So my question to all you lucky Scoobie owners is...Are Subaru's really that much more to maintain than your top of the range Vectra / Mondeo?

Matt
Old 01 August 2001, 02:22 PM
Paul Dowler
Scooby Newbie

I would agree with Carl on the servicing cost side. Pound for pound, the value and enjoyment gained from owning an Impreza far outweighs other makes.

If you are in the market for a Turbo, we would be delighted to offer any assistance or advice at Listers Worcester. Northhampton is not too far away.

With genuine parts, we are happy to discount for SIDC members and always happy to discuss prices on non-genuine. We can also supply ScoobySport bits for you.
Old 01 August 2001, 02:52 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far.

It's just what I thought, no where near as bad as he makes out. I find it strange that the old man won't give me a price on a clutch assembly for a Vectra!

The other strange thing is that he's more than happy for me to pay out 11-12k, yet when I tell him about some of the bargins I see on here for 8-10k that have only done 50k he tells me I'd be mad to pay so much!

Nuts, I'm going to phone up another Vauxhall dealership and see the price diff between the 2 cars.

I know that the standard Vauxhall exhaust for the Calibra I have know cost me 200 quid, and that's based on a Cavalier for crying out loud.

Matt