Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

General Scooby sourcing help required

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2000, 08:57 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As this is my first post I'll probably cover some old ground but I was after some info on the following:-

Is there any point buying a UK sourced scooby if you're going to run one into the ground whilst paying off the loan (rather than worrying about residuals)? This is because Gibson's of Brock seem to have chucked out of IM franchise (as far as I can gather) and are immporting for a tasty 6K approx. less than UK.

I've read on previous posts about people being charged higher on servicing for imports - does this run to parts as well - there was something in autocar a few weeks back that mitsi had reduced parts prices by 30% for imports (can't remember whether just for grey or included parallels). This meant they effectively admitted to overcharging.

A 6K saving goes a fair way to offsetting some of the higher charges.

Any comments?

Thanks
Old 18 August 2000, 01:04 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

I'm not the best person to answer (I've only owned for 3 months) but then no-one else has!

This is a bit of a sensitive subject as you might imagine, but the answers are really simple.

As you've discovered, IM wants to protect its profits (and you can't really blame them) so yes, some (not all) dealers are refusing to service imports. However there are plenty of alternatives about so this should not deter you. Same with parts - if they are going to try to overcharge you then go somewhere else.

The key advantages of a UK car are warranty and residuals. The latter may or may not be higher than an import. Some people may pay a bit more for a UK car, but not much. I imagine that a trade-in for a new Scooby would be higher for a UK car, but again not by much. If you want to keep the car for say 5 years or more then forget any differences in residuals.

So that leaves warranty. The Impreza has (despite some problems that you'll read about) a very good record for reliability. If you can save £6K on purchase, then I believe that should more than cover your risk.

When I bought, I had just accepted a new job and had to give up my company car. I was keen to import, but I couldn't wait for long. My local dealer could get me exactly what I wanted in 4 weeks, whereas the importers were saying 4-6 months. So my decision was easy.

As a UK car owner (and I am thoroughly pleased with it ) I am glad that I have a 3 year warranty. But there's no doubt that if I could have waited I would have gone for an import and saved the money!

I hope this helps.
Old 18 August 2000, 09:23 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Regards the warranties, Brock's are offering a 2 year extension to EU 1 year but I don't know any more details. Some of the posts have hinted that you've got to read the small print extremely carefully.

For the servicing, I've also recently changed jobs and on my current mileage I might be getting it serviced once a year so no great hardship to have a bit of a longer trip to a sympathetic dealer. Mind you, if I start going out to play in it :-)

Old 25 August 2000, 02:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've had my import from Holland since last November. You will not have any problems getting it serviced: if any dealer argues, simply find another one or point out that they're acting against EU anti-competetive laws...

I don't think that residuals are an advantage on a UK car. You're paying more to start with, and percentage wise you'll probably lose more. Don't buy a subaru for residuals, though! Not any more

Join the importingimprezas list if you're interested?
Old 25 August 2000, 10:00 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I'll probably wait until after the motorshow to see what the new one actually looks like as opposed to all the autocar versions. I could get used to the looks (possibly) with another 32bhp (allegedly) to play with!

Have to see how long it takes for the imports of this new version to start and what savings there are.

Apple