Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Bad Times !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2000, 11:29 PM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I had a mega Type R Sti V . It was amazing. It had a gearbox problem. That is just the good news...My warranty people told me to take the car to a place in Waltham Cross. I did... They took ages to mend it ...They put 380 miles on the clock...They smashed it up... Please be carefull not to take your cars to Tossers. I did ...i now will have to wait 5 weeks to drive my pride and joy again.
I now know heart ache!!!!!
Old 05 February 2000, 06:23 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry to hear it matey..

Its not a nice thing.. I had no end of trouble with one of my previous scoobs.. in the end I gave up with the garage.. they did a crap job..

J.
Old 05 February 2000, 07:08 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Citizens Advice or a solicitor, this sounds very out of order, a test drive, yes, but not nearly 400 miles of one ??????
Old 06 February 2000, 12:17 AM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

I am seeking advice on Monday , Hopefully i will get this sorted. Do i ever miss my wheels??? The whole thing is a nightmare from start to finish. The Garage told me at first that the car was parked on a road and was hit by a passer by . Later the truth came out that one of the guys had taken for a rip/test drive??? and lost control???
How,s that for luck?

Rog
Old 06 February 2000, 12:42 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Rog,

When you speak to whoever it is you are speaking to Monday, ask who would be held responsible for this as well, it may be the garage but you may also have some recourse against the warranty company as well, not at all sure about this though.

I am always worried about this sort of thing happening, I would expect 10-20 mile test drive, to make sure the problem has been fixed at all operating temperatures, but as i said earlier, not 400 miles.

Best of luck with whatever happens, and keep us posted.

Definitely see if you can get a new car out of them as well, as stated in the other thread, basically do em for anything and everything if possible.
Old 07 February 2000, 08:25 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your problems.
Not meaning to compound the problem I had a similar experience when I bought my first car, a Triumph Domomite 1850, modded though not very well.
Gearbox problems with the car went through legal channels and they were told to replace with a car of similar value so I ended up with an Opel Ascona 1.9SR which I could not insure as I was only 19.
When you win your case make sure you get the car you wanted in the first place. Or your money fully refunded.
Old 07 February 2000, 01:34 PM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Red face

Rog

Don't give up on this ....basically when you hand your car over to a bona-fide garage...especially one that your warranty companies recommends or sends you to, the repairer is legally obliged to look after your car - it is known as "duty of care", even if the vehicle was involved in a hit and run incident the garage is legally obliged to repair or offer compensation. Also provided you inform them you can have the car repaired and claim from their insurers. If they are not insured then get esitmate and claim via the Small Claims Court or above a certain limit (I can't remember the amount) issue a claim through the Magistrates Court.

Its buggers like this which give small independants a bad name and give us guys heartache.

Go get 'em
Old 07 February 2000, 05:03 PM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Rog,

I hope you get everything sorted out. Yes try the garage first and their insurance company.

As a last resort try the small claims court. I think small is still a reasonable sum. The courts take a very dim view of garages ripping off or causing problems for the public. If they let them go, they have the right to go and do the same again.

You WILL win on one item alone: EVIDENCE. You walk in there with evidence, and you will get your claim.

Good luck, and don't let them finish repairing your car!
Old 07 February 2000, 05:13 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Question

Rog,

FWIW why not approach the local trading standards office that covers the w*****s who damaged your car. They usually take a hard view on things like this and may help you to recover some of the outlay, compensation etc that you require before you have to resort to the legal method.

Hope you are back on the road soon

Yex

Old 08 February 2000, 09:01 AM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the support everyone!!!!!!
When this sort of thing happens , you start to think that maybe it is somehow my fault. I have talked to the warranty company , and told them everything.They say thay are looking into it???? My solicitor (£85.25+vat) per hour ( can i claim that back??) has said to see her with all the evidence , so today is the day for that. The assesor saw the car yesterday and said that the wheels are scratched and the tyres are not good but not to replace them ??? I feel a big argument there. I thought at first that the garage,s insurance was going to be the one that sorted it out but NO ....It is the guy that smashed it up ...His own personel insurance.Pete from Scooby sport has got all the panels and other bits so as soon as i get the ok it can be mended , sadly not replaced.

Thanks again everyone .

Rog.
Old 08 February 2000, 09:12 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, this insurance thing sounds very dubious, the car was in the care of the garage while the work was being done, so must be covered under the garages Insurance policy, its doubtful the guy has insurance which will cover him against driving somebody elses car WITHOUT their permission ? It also sounds odd that the garage insurance arent being involved, as he must have taken the car with their consent, or they are not being very careful with other people property ?

Dont know about this, but could this be classed as theft of some description, or taking without consent ?????? I am sure your solicitor will be able to let you knwo where you stand better than i can, just dont let the b******s get away with it.

If you win a court case i beleive the loser has to pay all the charges, not sure if that includes your solicitors fees but suspect it does.
Old 09 February 2000, 08:48 AM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I saw my solicitor yesterday and she said to lay the blame on the warranty company !!! The contract was taken out with them . I followed there instructions and took my car to the repairer of there specification. Had i taken it else where then it would have been down to me. She also said that i have to put a value on the car now it has had a smash???? Does anyone know the answer to that one.....How do you value it.

That,s all for now .

P.s As i have not got a car at the moment cant we have a golf tournement instead , and no more talk of great driving days at MIRA.

Rog L