Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Servicing a WRX in the Oxford Area

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 1999, 09:14 AM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anybody know of a Subaru dealer in the general Oxford area that will service/repair a Japanese WRX? Or if not a dealer perhaps a good independent garage that would be able to help.

I contacted Cross Country Vehicles 'Subaru's biggest dealer in the West of England.'

whose reply was:

"I regret that we are unable to assist you with your car as we have no diagnostic data, manuals nor the hand held diagnostic computer ROM required for the WRX.."

I have seen a very nice sonic blue STI around the area: if you are out there let me know where you get your servicing done!

Thanks,

R

Old 01 September 1999, 04:18 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Richard,
I use a guy called Dave West who runs a garage called Risborough 4WD out of Princes Risborough (Bucks) to service my WRX and he's very knowlegable and affordable. The history is there was (until recently) a Subaru garage here, Dave was the mechanic,garage closed, Dave set up on his own. He now can also do Air-con regasses as well.
Give him a ring and prepare to be pleasntly surprised by the prices.
Hope this helps
Tim
Old 01 September 1999, 05:07 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Tim,

Thanks for the advice, i will give him a call.

BTW have you managed to get our WRX serviced/looked at by a Subaru dealer? I was just wondering.

Cheers

Richard
Old 01 September 1999, 06:27 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yes I have tried locally and at CCV in Hailey, but got the same response as you. Local garage were the ones who recommended Dave to me.If anyone can email me personally with the details of some garages who will play ball I would keep your confidence safe.
Tim
Old 06 September 1999, 08:35 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I use Dave West as well and am happy with the service. SGT at Taplow (Maidenhead) are an official dealer who will work on imports, but they are pricey!
Old 07 September 1999, 09:16 AM
Andy D
Scooby Newbie

Cool

You could try Fenny Compton Garage near Banbury. They were more than helpful when I bought my MY99. Service department is always try and help in any way they can. There telephone number is 01295 770244. They are not the closest to Oxford but by far the best service in the local area.

Andy
Old 07 September 1999, 01:40 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Thanks for your replys.

I have now booked the car in to Hallmarks in Thatcham, nr Newbury as (the guy who sold me the car reccomended that they deal with lots of imports and will help diagnose my cold start problem, I am sure that for regular servicing the options you have reccomended will be used.

Has anyone dealt with Hallmarks and if so are they any good?
Old 08 September 1999, 10:59 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

When I was looking to buy I found Fenny Compton most unhelpful;( I told the salesman that I was considering both a UK car and an STi Here follows his list of reasons for not buying an STi
1. No one can service them
2. If you need any part it will take six weeks minimum. (has this man never heard of air frieght or stock holding?)
3. All STi's Max out at approx. 100mph
4. Subaru diagnostic equipment does not plug into the ECU
5. You can't get the speedos to read in MPH
6. Insurance will cost twice the amount if you can get it.

There was more but I was so shocked at the ridiculousness of the experiance that I cannot remember it all.
Needless to say their attitude not only put me off buying from them but also ever using them for anything in the future! If they lie to you before you have a car what will they be like if there are any problems?