Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Dr Motorsport spoilers?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 05:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Dave

Yep - the spoiler you refer to is made by RallyTech and supplied to DR Motorsport amongst others. I think DRM have some good offers on at the moment (free painting of the spoiler if I remember correctly). Carbon fibre is nice - I've got it on mine - purely personal choice. Yes, the spoiler does use the standard brake light from the original spoiler - it is simply turned through 180 degrees to fit in the new spoiler. Piccies below

Edited to include this pic:

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 11/1/2002 5:04:58 PM]
Old 11 January 2002, 06:29 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Got mine from them and very pleased with it.
Fits using the original holes and a roll of strong double sided tape is also supplied which helps hold it all down. There is the option (well there was on mine) of drilling extra holes to secure the middle. I used some of the tape to hold the brakelight in place no probs, and yes it uses the original wiring.

Would buy the same from DR Motorsport again without doubt

Bob

[Edited by WRXBOB - 11/1/2002 6:31:28 PM]
Old 11 January 2002, 11:06 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

DS does have a couple of good points. I've noticed the water build up, but I'm always careful to open the boot slowly and the water will run down the channels instead of into the boot.

Paint finish is largely down to who preps and paints the spoiler I guess. Mine was done by Cheam Motors who have an excellent bodyshop and a very fussy parts manager (thanks Jim ) who made sure that the finish was spot on and a perfect match for the car. The first couple of pictures show how good it can look.

The actual quality of the spoiler can vary - it should be remembered that RallyTech actually manufacture parts for proper rally cars where the exact fit and finish is probably not quite as important as it is to average 'perfectionist' private owner. Jim Childs made this clear to me when I ordered the spoiler and he did reject one because it wasn't up to standard. I would hope that other suppliers would do the same. Silicone was used on mine as well, but done properly it makes for a very neat finish and is invisible for intents and purposes.

Oh yes, it is still the best looking spoiler for the MY01!!

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 11/1/2002 11:07:59 PM]
Old 11 February 2002, 08:28 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just as an alternative this is my one !

Just for the record its a Sti6 one

[Edited by Fulham71 - 11/2/2002 8:32:20 AM]
Old 01 November 2002, 04:52 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Question

Any of you guys fitted a Dr Motorsport Rally style spoiler to an MY02/01 ? And if so are you pleased (and do you have piccies?)

Does the brake light just use the existing wiring?

Was also wondering if it was worth shelling out the extra 50 to get the top panel out of carbon. ....

cheers guys
Dave
Old 01 November 2002, 06:14 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Must say I was very disappointed by the quality especially the paintwork that had multiple defects.The brake light does'nt fit in properly at all and so needs to be bonded with silicone.Also a basic design fault is the the upper surface of the bit that sits on the boot is very convex.When it rains about a pint of water sits in it,leave it a few days and I've found mould growing in it.Open the boot quickly and this water comes crashing into your boot and shorts your CD player.Yes it did happen to me!
Old 01 November 2002, 09:21 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Another one,we'll soon have all colours covered! I've got the carbon fibre top lip too which IMO looks a treat on a darker car.
No idea how difficult it was to fit and add brake light,I just handed over the CC.

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2002, 07:22 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for all the replies and piccies guys - and you're right, this spoiler really is the best-looking one you can get for the MY01/02 at the moment.

Seems more steeply raked than other WRC/Sti style efforts.

I'm a little worred over these allegations of poor build quality though, especially considering how much they cost!

I'll post pictures of whatever I finally decide to get (it's this or a scoobysport WRC-style one)

cheers again
DaveR
Old 04 November 2002, 11:46 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

watch out for quality, have seen some real dodgy ones although mine is ok ish