Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

TT vs STi - a real experience

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2002, 02:21 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRONG FORUM - d'oh!!!

Some time ago I put a post on here asking for pro's and cons of Audi TT225 and STI7 cos I really couldn't decide what to do.

Well.....I went for a TT.....and it's probably been one of the most expensive mistakes I'll ever make. Don't get me wrong beautiful car - decent performance. But even after day 1 of owning it I knew I'd got it wrong!! There was just no grin factor, it felt numb, build quality wasn't all I'd hoped for either - plenty of rattles and the most boring engine note you could wish for.

Last week I had a drive of my boss's MY01 WRX+PPP and it blew me away - handling is just superb.

So I bit the bullet and this morning picked up a new STi7 in WR Blue from Beechdales in Derby. And even though I'm now going through the agony of running in period you can just feel the potential. I was expecting a harsh ride but it's actually better than the current spec (18" wheels) Audi TT - no rattles - and MASSIVE grin factor. Downsides up to now? Would be nice if wheel balancing weights could be on inside of wheel - brakes don't seem brill- may just need bedding in.

Anyway I live in Teesside and work in the nort west during the week so look forward to seeing other North East and north West owners!!!!

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by Up_North - 8/8/2002 2:54:28 PM]
Old 08 August 2002, 05:42 PM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Actually you just picked up the Sti7 which was coming in for me. Sounds weird but that Sti was due to come in and I had it earmarked. However due to some quick footwork I got a cancelled Sti from their Derby site. Great car though isn't it?? I have managed to get 800 on the clock in a week. Hopefully service nxt week and then a little more on the revs. Its murder to drive it under 3K. But I suppose its only gonna help long term. Can I suggest as there are no gadgets you may want to invest in Smartnav. Fab toy at half the cost of other types, and really neat as well.
Old 08 August 2002, 10:09 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Adair69 - I'm a bit confused - I got the car you had earmarked but then you got a cancelled order from Derby??? Mine was also from Derby.

Ian
Old 09 August 2002, 08:07 AM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Sorry..... to clarify.

Beechdale had to coin a phrase an "sti arriving on the boat due tomorrow". Truth was there was only one arriving and obviously two customers. The arrival date changed a number of times, until I was informed that suddenly one was available at Derby. The name (possibly yours??) was tippexed quite neatly out on the first reg book. Interestingly, I was told that the one to arrive on the boat (which had supposedly docked) was now delayed until the 2nd week of August. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems mighty fishy. Anyway hope you like the new car....