Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MacBook Air

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2014, 10:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default MacBook Air

New job, company laptop & after 20+ years of PC, have to say I am mighty impressed as a piece of kit - multi monitor support, instant on, look/feel, weight & overall performance.

What I'm not so keen on is Mac Office & in particular Excel as it doesn't work properly

I know that's illogical as its MS software for Mac but I need Excel to do my job & it just is not as good as Office 2010 or indeed 2003.

I'm trying to get a PC to do my work on but keep the Mac for everything else...
Old 09 March 2014, 01:37 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you about Office for mac. I have the 2nd to last gen iMac at work, 16GB RAM, so it's not exactly slow, yet Excel still takes 15 seconds to launch. That's just launching itself, not opening any documents.

I think it's just lip service being paid to Mac OS, same kind of thing Apple does when it comes to iTunes or any Mac apps they have to develop for Windows based OSes.

You can dual boot and / or run a VM on the machine as it's intel based, so you could install a Windows OS and use that when needed.

I have my mac set up with Windows 7 on it's own partition so I can go full on PC should I want to, plus I have Fusion VM software running, so if I just quickly need to do something and don't want to reboot, I fire it up, it uses my existing Windows partition as it's hard drive, and so I've got all the apps and files as if I had booted the thing up. Very handy indeed.
Old 09 March 2014, 02:45 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

15 secs? really?
Just timed my Excel boot - 6 seconds.
Old 09 March 2014, 02:58 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Why not just use Numbers? If its anything like pages it should be quite happily cross compatible with Excel.
Old 09 March 2014, 04:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
15 secs? really?
Just timed my Excel boot - 6 seconds.
Tried again, around 7 seconds. I rebooted, opened it, 15 seconds. quit and relaunch about 7 seconds.

Rebooted. Ran outlook, about 15 seconds. Quit and relaunch 7 seconds.
Tried excel (first run after reboot, but after outlook was run), 7 seconds.

Hmm, I'm thinking that on initial load it's launching something else, which is taking some / most of the time, then on subsequent launches without a reboot (or likely logout / login) it's quicker.
Old 09 March 2014, 04:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Why not just use Numbers? If its anything like pages it should be quite happily cross compatible with Excel.
Didn't Apple remove functionality from Numbers when Mavericks came out and they did their whole "Everyone can upgrade to free to the latest version" thing? I think they may have now added a few things back in.

To be honest, I've never used numbers. I should probably have a look at it. I'm no Excel fiend, but tend to go for it if I need to create a spreadsheet.

I'm sure there is a complete comparison matrix out there detailing what Excel can do that Numbers cannot, and likely the same for Windows Excel vs Mac Excel too.