Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

backup for small windows network

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2014, 08:01 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backup for small windows network

I have a small network of 4 PC's (all running win 7 by the end of the week) also a vista laptop and a macbook and I am getting increasingly worried about ransomware and malware threats. all of our email is cloud based so no problem with that, 2 of the PC's are just used to access the web and view sites (nothing stored or saved to those PC's) the other two hold documents and one of them around 200gb+ of photos which grows daily, I have got a NAS drive but it did not seem to integrate well but I could have another go at setting it up, also the problem with the NAS and other external drives is that if we get ransomware it will encrypt those drives as well? any way round this? I want to setup up something that is automated but concerned I may be wasting my time, also happy to look at signing up for dropbox or larger storage space for google drive,

We have had malware downloaded to the PC's through vulnerability's in java even though it was up todate, unfortunately we need Java and flash for many of the sites we use and get popups asking to install updates every few days which then trys to install ask jeeves or similar rubbish.

So anyway to back our docs/photos automatically and anyway to keep the PCs updated without any user interaction?
Old 19 January 2014, 08:42 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.cubby.com/ - best one of the storage spaces I have found

use syncback pro to move files to a secondary drive for local backup and then use cubby to move them to the cloud - layered backups