Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox live

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2013, 06:22 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox live

Help please, my son has been nagging me for xbox live and I have finally given in, problem is we can't get broadband on a landline where we live so have to rely on a mobile signal.

The connection speed is about 1.5 - 2 meg depending on weather conditions, is this enough to run it? I've already bought the wireless adaptor and have checked it connects up ok, just don't want to pay out £40 and find its not fast enough.

Old 21 December 2013, 06:24 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

You will struggle with speed and latency from mobile internet mate.
Old 21 December 2013, 06:32 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

In a word, no. Connection speeds these days for online gaming need to be pretty high.

I had to upgrade my broadband to 100mb Fibre-optic as the 30mb just wasn't good enough to play games like CoD.

You'll find with a low connection you'll struggle to get into game servers and even if you do you'll be playing catch up against the other players (they'll see you long before they register on your screen).
Old 21 December 2013, 06:32 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by pflowers
Help please, my son has been nagging me for xbox live and I have finally given in, problem is we can't get broadband on a landline where we live so have to rely on a mobile signal.

The connection speed is about 1.5 - 2 meg depending on weather conditions, is this enough to run it? I've already bought the wireless adaptor and have checked it connects up ok, just don't want to pay out £40 and find its not fast enough.

Your wasting your money unless your running average speeds starting from 10mb up any less then that and you can forget it.SJ.
Old 21 December 2013, 06:36 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Default P

Originally Posted by BULLITT
In a word, no. Connection speeds these days for online gaming need to be pretty high.

I had to upgrade my broadband to 100mb Fibre-optic as the 30mb just wasn't good enough to play games like CoD.

You'll find with a low connection you'll struggle to get into game servers and even if you do you'll be playing catch up against the other players (they'll see you long before they register on your screen).
I hear ya mate but my cousin has 10mb and he plays gears on xbox live on his XB360 nearly every day,but they do have independent servers.I run VM 120mb but will be going on there 152mb from February.SJ.
Old 21 December 2013, 06:42 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, did think so. He plays fifa most of the time so I might try my mobile connection on a friends box to see what happens.
Old 21 December 2013, 06:50 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I hear ya mate but my cousin has 10mb and he plays gears on xbox live on his XB360 nearly every day,but they do have independent servers.I run VM 120mb but will be going on there 152mb from February.SJ.
Yeah I think gears, Battlefield and GTA V use their own dedicated servers whereas CoD relied on best connection hosting, I think CoD ghosts has switched to server based like Battlefield now.

152mb?! I wasn't even aware they offered connections that high!

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2013, 06:51 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, did think so. He plays fifa most of the time so I might try my mobile connection on a friends box to see what happens.
To be honest mate that's why I kept on upgrading my speeds as my children are at the age now where they have there mobile devices on all the time and taking up all the broadband speed.My advice is for you to see about getting some kind of proper internet package as mobile will not work properly at all,and it will spoil your sons experience playing online with all the crashing and pinging out if it even connects up but I doubt it,please let us know how you get along when you try it.SJ.
Old 21 December 2013, 06:57 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BULLITT
Yeah I think gears, Battlefield and GTA V use their own dedicated servers whereas CoD relied on best connection hosting, I think CoD ghosts has switched to server based like Battlefield now.

152mb?! I wasn't even aware they offered connections that high!
Yeah it comes out on February next year,and as they put it :as a valued customer you are invited (me and my wife) to be one of the first to upgrade to 152mb free of charge as we have had there highest cable speeds since they started the fibre optics cabling,it would of been rude to decline there offerSJ.
Old 21 December 2013, 07:03 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Hmmm interesting.

I'm not sure what to do with mine, I do checks on my connection but I always get roughly 28mb download speeds but stupidly high upload speeds of 120mb+.
Old 21 December 2013, 07:03 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate that's why I kept on upgrading my speeds as my children are at the age now where they have there mobile devices on all the time and taking up all the broadband speed.My advice is for you to see about getting some kind of proper internet package as mobile will not work properly at all,and it will spoil your sons experience playing online with all the crashing and pinging out if it even connects up but I doubt it,please let us know how you get along when you try it.SJ.
This is the problem, it's mobile or nothing for us, our land line will not support broadband, we are too far from the exchange (according to bt)
Old 21 December 2013, 07:09 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

This is the problem, it's mobile or nothing for us, our land line will not support broadband, we are too far from the exchange (according to bt)
Is there no more broad band service providers up where you live.SJ.
Old 21 December 2013, 07:12 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Is there no more broad band service providers up where you live.SJ.
Doesn't matter who you use, it still comes through the BT line.
Old 21 December 2013, 07:15 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Virgin Media Fibre-optic doesn't. I don't even have a phone line into my house, the BT cable isn't even connected. I just have the VM Fibre-optic connected.
Old 21 December 2013, 07:22 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Oh I understand now,but still there must be another way to get internet without using dial up I know in certain "out there areas" they get internet through satellites,if you have a little look around I know you should definitely find another provider,as big as BT is i doubt that they have a monopoly in your whole area.SJ.
Old 26 December 2013, 10:47 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Oh I understand now,but still there must be another way to get internet without using dial up I know in certain "out there areas" they get internet through satellites,if you have a little look around I know you should definitely find another provider,as big as BT is i doubt that they have a monopoly in your whole area.SJ.
Well, since you mentioned this I've done a bit of searching and yes there are satellite systems out there that will give me up to 20meg connection. Unfortunately the down side to the satellite system is the latency which can be up to 900ms which is nowhere near good enough for online gaming.

However we have tethered up my sons iphone and it works perfectly, he played fifa and gta yesterday for about 8 hrs and had zero issues with dropping out and only the very occasional lagging.

It's a shame about the satellite system as even though quite expensive - about £350 to set up plus £69 per month for unlimited data - In the absence of other options I would have gone for it.

So all happy at the moment, but will continue to investigate other options.
Old 26 December 2013, 10:56 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Fifa is really bad for lag with slow connections