Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple’s Game Console will Change the Living Room

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2013, 11:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Apple’s Game Console will Change the Living Room

Not my title before you start.

If nothing else watch the video, those who believe that iOS has no place in gaming sphere are burying their heads.

http://kylerichter.com/exploring-app...e-console-sdk/
Old 27 November 2013, 11:49 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I can't see it myself. iOS and Android are great gaming platforms for the type of games people play on them, and for quick hits (like when taking a dump in work, for example ), but a big TV demands something different, and a 69p game isn't it.

I'm not sure if iOS (or Android) are up to playing games like console games, but even if they are, the costs will rise to produce those sort of games, and Apple TV simply doesn't have the penetration to make it worth while. I can't see Apple TV gaining it either.

I love playing games on my phone, and I love playing games on my console, but they are very different experiences, and so they should be.
Old 27 November 2013, 11:55 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Have another read, there's a far larger market for games on iOS than there is for Xbox and Playstation. Apple TV's are cheap and have already sold in very significant numbers.

The games available now already compare with Console games, the video shows some examples.

I think the main point is why not use the power of the GPU and CPU in the devices you already have.
Old 27 November 2013, 01:01 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

In terms of comparing graphically with consoles...no they don't; certainly not the 'next gen' consoles, let alone PCs. For those who want the large-scale AAA and online multiplayer experiences they will not be able to compete as they simply lack the horsepower.

So they're left with gameplay. It's perfectly reasonable that they will have comparable gameplay with their lower graphics levels, and for many users the graphics will be 'good enough'.

The problem Apple face is that this particular niche is already occupied by Nintendo, and it's that market that Apple will realistically be competing in, certainly at first.

The Apple TV on it's own is not enough; you need a suitably powerful iPhone/iPad as well. This pushes the total cost beyond next gen' levelsl; £350 for an IP4s + £99 for ATV + £30 for controller (realistic estimate).

It can be argued that many people will have an iOS device already, so their total additional cost over what they have already spent is about £130 - not bad.

But there's that Nintendo factor again - they have a lot more experience at making living-room games, and if you buy a Wii U you don't have to leave you phone behind so the kids can play games while you're at work; it's a self-contained system.

I would also argue that of all the companies in the establish game market that Apple are likely to be competing with any time soon, Nintendo are likely to give the most trouble, as they've already proven they are capable of coming up with completely revolutionary and innovative approaches, and their gaming pedigree and first-party IP is superb.

They have their work cut out, as they will be joining a big market of very established players, and they will be joining it in 5th place. They've upset the established order before, but other companies are already doing comparable things to what that article suggests.
Old 27 November 2013, 01:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apple and to a lesser degree Android are crushing Nintendo right now and mobile GPU's could already be more powerful than Xbox and PS3.

This isn't just Apple, Google have their own device for mirroring and as any Android fan will tell you, the hardware in Android devices has big numbers.
Old 27 November 2013, 01:57 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Of the established gaming players, Nintendo are most similar to Apple; they have proven they are able to fail, reinvent themselves and come back and be strong again. The Wii U seems to have rather less than successful, no doubt due to the rise of mobile device gaming.

Performance wise...well I could believe that they might be as powerful as the now-8-years-old 360, and the PS3 never really managed to make use of all the raw power it had available, but as I say - 'next-gen' consoles are significantly more powerful.

The advantage that Apple will have is that when a new iOS device comes out, the existing ATV will still work with it; this means that even though at launch the next-gen consoles far outstrip mobile devices, in the next 7-8 years of the expected lifespan of the XBO/PS4 the mobile devices have the opportunity to catch up.

This is why I think any entry Apple make will have to be into the 'Nintendo sector'. The incumbent is on a wane, a wane caused my mobile devices themselves, and they will have to leave the mid-level of the XBO/PS4 for a future point, if at all.

The PC sector will I think be unassailable to mobile device based gaming, as that market demands very high detail levels. It is also even more flexible in it's upgrade options, and with the release of SteamOS there will be a spate of PC gamers hooking up very cheap 'little-more-than-a-dumb-terminal' SteamOS systems to their TVs to do exactly the same thing as the iDevice/ATV hookup.

There will still be issues around how they handle local multiplayer, especially the concept of multiple users of a single iOS device isn't currently there.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Mobile devices and iOS devices especially have been considered gaming platforms for some time now, with Edge regularly reviewing iOS (and less frequently Android) titles. It's a jolly big market, and I imagine there will be plenty of money to be made at the 'casual' tier, but I do not expect Apple will dominate the market as they have in the mobile arena.
Old 27 November 2013, 02:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Dominiate, no, but I think the impact will be exponential and it's started already. Microsoft might find it easier to jump on board than Sony, they have a mobile operating system.

Trending Topics

Old 27 November 2013, 03:01 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Errrm I can't see what is so good here either, maybe I am bias because my normal TV is my computer at the same time and that video showing those games was just laughable.

Yea I'm sure they are fun for children under 5 and girls, all the video shows is cheap on the move games sent via wireless onto a apple TV. Which is never ever going to compare with a actual PC hooked up to a TV.

Am I missing something here?
Old 27 November 2013, 03:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You're not an apple fanboi?
Old 27 November 2013, 03:05 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

If you mean me, then no not really. It is ok....
Old 27 November 2013, 03:11 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't see hardcore gamers switching any time soon. Mobile devices just simply cannot deliver the content (quality and longevity) as well as a dedicated console. Also how can a touch screen on a mobile device deliver the same tactile control as a game pad/controller? With a touch screen you have no idea what control you're touching or what button you're pushing without constantly taking your eyes off the big screen to see where your fingers are on the touch screen.

They said consoles would be the death of PC gaming years ago, and yet here we are where PC gaming is again a growing market. Will mobile gaming kill off consoles, I'd say no due to the fact that a million XBox One's were sold in less than 24 hours after going on sale. I would expect the same with the PS4 too. Mobile gaming is just that, for quick convenient gaming fix whilst on the move. IMO of course.
Old 27 November 2013, 03:46 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

It will sell millions imho, same with the android console.
Old 27 November 2013, 04:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scooby87
Errrm I can't see what is so good here either, maybe I am bias because my normal TV is my computer at the same time and that video showing those games was just laughable.

Yea I'm sure they are fun for children under 5 and girls, all the video shows is cheap on the move games sent via wireless onto a apple TV. Which is never ever going to compare with a actual PC hooked up to a TV.

Am I missing something here?
Yes you are. This is an iPhone game which you can play on your TV, similar to the set up you have but probably cheaper and wireless.

Now, of course you can get better graphics but I wouldn't go as far as saying this was laughable.
Old 27 November 2013, 04:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Galifrey
It will sell millions imho, same with the android console.
Bury your head if you like.

"Apple has sold roughly 700 Million iOS devices since the introduction of the original iPhone, in addition they have sold in excess of 13 Million Apple TVs. Compare that to the 78 Million (as of March 2013) PlayStation 3′s sold since it was released in 2006, and 78.2 Million Xbox 360′s sold from its release in 2005 through June 2013. It is no wonder that the iPod touch (and iPhone) is considered one of the world’s leading gaming platform, with roughly 9x the sales of traditional consoles."
Old 27 November 2013, 04:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
Also how can a touch screen on a mobile device deliver the same tactile control as a game pad/controller? With a touch screen you have no idea what control you're touching or what button you're pushing without constantly taking your eyes off the big screen to see where your fingers are on the touch screen.
Good timing Jon, Apple released an API for game controllers a month ago. Examples are streaming in right now, here's one.

http://gizmodo.com/logitech-powershe...tro-1468083916

What you should be asking is how come you don't have a touch screen on your Xbone or PS4.

I should add that driving games using the iPad are a step forward.
Old 27 November 2013, 05:47 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Good timing Jon, Apple released an API for game controllers a month ago. Examples are streaming in right now, here's one.

http://gizmodo.com/logitech-powershe...tro-1468083916

What you should be asking is how come you don't have a touch screen on your Xbone or PS4.

I should add that driving games using the iPad are a step forward.
So does that mean certain games won't work or have limited functionality unless you have compatible game controllers as I'm not sure you'd be able replicate all the buttons of the gamepad on a touch screen, plus according to the article, they're flaky (currently) at best.

You say there are 700million iOS devices, how many of those are able to use these gamepads? I'm still not convinced, all it's done is turn an iPhone into a Nintendo DS/PS Vita and that is about as far as it will go, not a full blown games console ala Xbox/PS4 regardless of the number of iOS devices out there. Also one model of Sony's console sold 73million and one model of Microsoft's console sold 78million units, and these were bought specifically for gaming, whereas not all iOS devices sold was bought for gaming, so the figure of 700million devices is pretty meaningless.

At the end of the day, how many of owners of dedicated consoles who invariably also have mobile devices, would replace it with an iOS device? Besides, an iPhone/iPod will have run out of battery power long before completing a level of a graphically intensive game.
Old 27 November 2013, 05:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

should be interesting to see, nintendo are dead so comparing it agaionst them is like comparing it to the 1990's lol its the xbo and ps4 they need to aim to beat, not equal, beat.

anyway that said the graphics on that vid aint that impressive, face definition isnt very good amongst other things. time will tell how it develops.

Just remember jack phones games and proper console/pc are a very very different ball game.

Last edited by Tidgy; 27 November 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 27 November 2013, 05:54 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

I dunno Jack, still looks pretty poor to me. I mean its ok, but with stuff the are doing now graphically it just doesn't cut it. For a recent example battlefield 4. The games will never be in such depth either.

Its good for a phone though, I assume you control through to phone or tablet as well which I also don't think is great in comparison to either a controller or keyboard/mouse setup.
Old 27 November 2013, 06:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Well the movement is smoother than a game that was posted on here running on a 'Mega Monster Big *****" PC. If the game is good you won't have time to appreciate the minor details in the graphics.

Controllers are available, but you quickly get used to using the screen as a controller when you're playing on TV. It's great when developers utilise the extra screen as well.
Old 27 November 2013, 10:06 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

That Arma video was taken from a beta.

Second screen tech is... arguable. It's not gone well for the Wii U, nor Smartglass.

Personally I expect a convergence between the Nintendo approach and the mobile approach, with an extension up to low-end 'hardcore' for a few. PC gaming will grow significantly.
Old 27 November 2013, 10:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol that "example" is using the unreal engine, that's older than you are Jack.
Old 27 November 2013, 11:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'm pretty sure it's been updated
Old 28 November 2013, 12:04 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
should be interesting to see, nintendo are dead so comparing it agaionst them is like comparing it to the 1990's lol
N has sold over 35 Million 3DS consoles, which makes them just behind with the sales over the same time period as achieved with the DS. Back that up with their 1st party game sales.

I wouldn't quite say they were dead...... just yet.
Old 28 November 2013, 07:16 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Bury your head if you like.

"Apple has sold roughly 700 Million iOS devices since the introduction of the original iPhone, in addition they have sold in excess of 13 Million Apple TVs. Compare that to the 78 Million (as of March 2013) PlayStation 3′s sold since it was released in 2006, and 78.2 Million Xbox 360′s sold from its release in 2005 through June 2013. It is no wonder that the iPod touch (and iPhone) is considered one of the world’s leading gaming platform, with roughly 9x the sales of traditional consoles."
How am I burying my head saying it will sell millions?

You really can be such an utter ****** sometimes.
Old 28 November 2013, 09:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nintendo aren't dead, but their lunch is being eaten daily, lets say they're starving hungry.
Old 28 November 2013, 12:52 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Nintendo aren't dead, but their lunch is being eaten daily, lets say they're starving hungry.
My gut feeling is that Nintendo are pretty cash rich. Regardless of recent yearly profit figures.

Will be interesting to see how they react commercially over the next 12 months.
Old 28 November 2013, 12:54 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ptastic-219-99

This one is too expensive and under-powered compared with an Adreno 330 machine, but it does set the benchmark for all future app based consoles.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/11/gamestick-review/

https://www.ouya.tv/discover/

Cheap but underpowered

Last edited by Galifrey; 28 November 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 29 November 2013, 08:39 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Those are definitely a waste of money, what we're talking about is using the power you already have in your pocket.

I've seen some cheap web android web browser things, I'd suggested iPads and Apple TV's, they bought £50 plug in Android boxes, they were awful.
Old 29 November 2013, 10:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Unknown network error

Is it spam?
Old 29 November 2013, 11:02 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Those are definitely a waste of money, what we're talking about is using the power you already have in your pocket.

I've seen some cheap web android web browser things, I'd suggested iPads and Apple TV's, they bought £50 plug in Android boxes, they were awful.
Well that is no surprise, a £50 Android box is rubbish compared to £400+ worth of Apple kit.

And I am sure that infinity blade is very nice on an ipad but it looks like, and essentially is, a 12 year old PC game engine, and it shows.

Like I said the Apple Console will likely sell millions as will a decent Android Console, I wont buy either as I have a kick *** Home Theatre PC with GTX 570 and Intel Quad Core running PROPER games at 1080p. Probably cost no more than a top end console as well.

Quick Reply: Apple’s Game Console will Change the Living Room