Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox One vs XBox 360

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2013, 03:38 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XBox One vs XBox 360

My son is after an XBOX for Christmas, primarily to play Minecraft on although we intend to hold off on the wi-fi connection as his room is the wi-fi bermuda triangle of the house for some reason.

The difference financially between an XBOX 360, 250GB with kinect and the XBOX One is about £100-150 but not being a gamer I am trying to work out whether or not the extras on the One are worth it, what they are and whether or not the One is going to futureproof the 360 as it is due to be phased out.

Also, I'm looking to confirm that 360 games will run on the One as Minecraft is not available for the One yet

Cheers

Jon
Old 30 September 2013, 03:49 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

XBOX 360 specific games will not run on the XBOX ONE - I don't know what will be available on XBOX LIVE to utilise on the ONE from launch.

IMO it's worth considering that if you buy a 360 you're buying in to a platform that will become redundant in the future.... now I suspect that won't be for a few years, but it will happen. The bigger named titles will be developed on the existing platforms, but how long that will remain is anyones guess.

If the 360 gives you want you want now and you're not that bothered about the new tech.... get the 360. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Minecraft: Xbox One Edition is already in the works to be released at some point.

Last edited by Shaun; 30 September 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01 October 2013, 04:31 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not pick up a second hand Xbox 360, get an Xbox One later when the price drops.

Also, you can run your Broadband through your house ring main with these:

Solwise Home plug Solwise Home plug

This way you can run wired connection to the Xbox, and the non wifi Xbox is even cheaper second hand.
Old 01 October 2013, 09:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Shaun

H-H: to me buying someone something second hand for Christmas is a bit pikey and also risky - I've had new stuff fail on Christmas day and if it's second hand that just becomes a false economy. Last year my daughter's playbook failed to come to life; we tested it when we bought it but the battery had gone into deep discharge and couldn't be recovered. I know about various wi-fi extenders and could even run a cat 5 and a swtich up into the bedroom - I have something similar for my work laptop as the wi-fi is locked down on it - but as I said we want to hold off. Ultimately we want him to earn the un-policed wi-fi in his room as we cannot yet trust him not to live on the machine once it's online
Old 02 October 2013, 11:16 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

fair point on the 2nd hand xmas stuff......I have an xbox (well 2 actually) and have ordered an Xbox one, the reason is that is supports much larger multiplayer online games, 24 player Battlerfield v 64 player Battlefield, this is the sole reason I have for upgrading.

My kids (9 and 5) use the xbox360 for Minecraft, the Lego franchise an the Kinect games and I have recently added Netflix for them. they play offline only. 360 is perfect for them games are still HD quality. I also extened it to play my Itunes library and photos. So it pretty much does everything pretty well.
Old 02 October 2013, 11:27 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

"kids" don't care about gfx and technology...... they care about the games and the ability to play those games (if allowed) on-line with their friends.

With both MS and PS having their own networks, regardless of the console model within their ranges...... it's probably more to do with what your mates use as their gaming network, rather than what version of the console they have. The fact that all the big named multiplayer / on-line games are still planned for existing platforms, the overall impact is reduced imo.
Old 02 October 2013, 11:43 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
"kids" don't care about gfx and technology...... they care about the games and the ability to play those games (if allowed) on-line with their friends.

With both MS and PS having their own networks, regardless of the console model within their ranges...... it's probably more to do with what your mates use as their gaming network, rather than what version of the console they have. The fact that all the big named multiplayer / on-line games are still planned for existing platforms, the overall impact is reduced imo.
agreed

BF3 was released 2 years ago and BF4 is due on the 360 as well as the One. I guess it will be another 2 years before a new version is released. I would imagine that games will be designed exclusivley for the One when there are more Ones than 360s.... a while yet...couple of years maybe.
For BF4, the xbox one will have 64 players, 60 fps and run in 1080p. The 360 will run in sub 720p, have only 24 players and run at 30 fps.
Not something to take into account for 'kids' gaming, but I am willing to upgrade for these added features.

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2013, 02:37 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail
For BF4, the xbox one will have 64 players, 60 fps and run in 1080p. The 360 will run in sub 720p, have only 24 players and run at 30 fps.
64 players - should be doable
60fps - that's the target, whether they achieve it or not is a different matter
1080p - not looking likely with BF4 for either of the next-gen consoles:

http://gearnuke.com/ea-confirms-xbox...argets-60-fps/

Framerate/resolution is only half the story though - texture detail is what makes 1080p worthwhile, and there's no point in having high resolution pixels with low resolution textures.

So for consoles, don't get too bothered about framerate/resolution - that's not what consoles are about. Instead buy whatever has the most of the games you prefer, in the ecosystem that suits you best. The reality is that either the PS3 or X360 will have 'next-gen' beat on the quantity and diversity of games for quite some time, and a cheap X360/PS3 will give your son plenty of gaming fun for a fair while yet, especially given how cheaply you can pick them up now.