Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Android security

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2013, 01:21 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android security

Right here's one for the Android users, how is security handled on android and how secure is it?

The reason I ask is when ever I type 'android security' into google I get pages of websites all advising you download various apps to keep your phone secure. Now is it really that bad or are they just examples of the Internet doing what it does?
Old 16 September 2013, 01:47 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Right here's one for the Android users, how is security handled on android and how secure is it?

The reason I ask is when ever I type 'android security' into google I get pages of websites all advising you download various apps to keep your phone secure. Now is it really that bad or are they just examples of the Internet doing what it does?
Google, somewhat unsurprisingly, ensure that their own store is favoured well in search engine results which is why you see lots of links to applications available for download.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:14 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ip...G9SzhAfln4DACw

?
Old 16 September 2013, 03:17 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
Google, somewhat unsurprisingly, ensure that their own store is favoured well in search engine results which is why you see lots of links to applications available for download.
Yeah i think you misread my original post. I'm not talking about links to the Play store, I'm talking about threads on discussion forums with people saying you need X, Y and Z apps to keep your phone secure.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:33 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Yeah i think you misread my original post. I'm not talking about links to the Play store, I'm talking about threads on discussion forums with people saying you need X, Y and Z apps to keep your phone secure.
Sorry, thought you meant the play store links.

Either way I'm not sure the results shown have any actual bearing on the security of the OS (e.g. replace the search phrase with "iphone security" and you'll get lots of similar articles suggesting to download apps).
Old 16 September 2013, 06:44 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have had Android since it first appeared, I have rooted all my phones and tablets, used various places to download the necessary apps, roms etc. I have never had a problem with security. Like anything, do your research before accepting or downloading from unknown sources, malware is greatly exagerated, helps sells antivirus apps though