Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iOS 7

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2013, 02:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default iOS 7

Rumours are rife and the WDC is only months away. Will Apple 'Change Everything' in time for the conference or will Jony Ive hold back the change?

Of course this update will be important not only to Apple users but to mobile users in general, where Apple lead others follow, some faster than others, some a bit too similar if you know what I mean.

I'm expecting incredible battery life and massive speed improvements driven by software not the 'throw bigger numbers at it' hardware updates that other devices require to keep pace.

Appearance is likely to be radically changed. Flatter is the current buzzword, sounds about right.
Old 03 April 2013, 02:45 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have seen the S4 right? Not exactly a 'throw bigger numbers at it' hardware update is it.

* registers your finger from up to two centimetres away, Air Gestures, which allow you to swipe the phone without touching the screen

* eye-tracking, Smart Stay, which tracks your eyes to tell if you're looking at the screen, has stablemates now. Smart Pause will note if your gaze leaves the screen and will pause the video, and Smart Scroll will check when you're reading a web page and scroll up and down as you tilt the device.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1137602/review
Old 03 April 2013, 03:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Take away the big numbers, then try running the camera full time. Party tricks don't do it for me I'm afraid.
Old 03 April 2013, 03:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by riiidaa
You have seen the S4 right? Not exactly a 'throw bigger numbers at it' hardware update is it.

* registers your finger from up to two centimetres away, Air Gestures, which allow you to swipe the phone without touching the screen

* eye-tracking, Smart Stay, which tracks your eyes to tell if you're looking at the screen, has stablemates now. Smart Pause will note if your gaze leaves the screen and will pause the video, and Smart Scroll will check when you're reading a web page and scroll up and down as you tilt the device.
You missed a bit.

It's a novel idea for replacing things you do already but in practice we didn't find either that useful.
Old 03 April 2013, 04:07 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Being able to operate it whilst wearing ANY set of gloves you fancy seems a useful thing to me given this effing weather.

You missed that bit eh?

Last edited by riiidaa; 03 April 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03 April 2013, 04:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Overdue in release and pretty much confirmed that it will have mirrored features of Android Ice Cream Sandwich
Old 03 April 2013, 05:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You'll be getting a glimpse of your future Andyroid.

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2013, 06:37 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping it's a decent leap forward this time as there hasn't been a hell of a lot of innovation in the last few generations.
Old 03 April 2013, 06:45 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping for a big overhaul but as we know time will tell, it'd be nice if this thread would be troll free , but I doubt it.
Old 03 April 2013, 06:54 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I'm hoping for a big overhaul but as we know time will tell, it'd be nice if this thread would be troll free , but I doubt it.
Seeing as it was started by one you mean?

I currently own the iPhone 4 having not bothered to upgrade for such minimal gains, but the S4 appears to have advancements in tech worth considering.
Old 03 April 2013, 07:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Without meaning to sound too much of a ****, the 4s is way ahead of the 4. You'd be surprised by just how much more the 5 offers, hardware and software. You will be disappointed at some point if you go with the S4, everyone is.
Old 03 April 2013, 07:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Not another OS update.

Why is so much need to constantly update OSs these days.

Yet another thing to faff around downloading and installing, then pray it doesn't cause any further problems on top of the existing ones.
Old 03 April 2013, 07:20 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't call pressing the update button in the menu faffing about
Old 03 April 2013, 07:21 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Seeing as it was started by one you mean?

I currently own the iPhone 4 having not bothered to upgrade for such minimal gains, but the S4 appears to have advancements in tech worth considering.
So that makes it ok then, the thread isn't started to troll unlike some that get started
Old 03 April 2013, 07:25 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Without meaning to sound too much of a ****, the 4s is way ahead of the 4. You'd be surprised by just how much more the 5 offers, hardware and software.
I'm not surprised, nor sufficiently impressed that is why I haven't bought either.

Siri is the only draw of the 4s, and it was poor compared to siri improvements on my sister's 5 when they were checked out.

The 5 is fine if you didn't have a working 4 or 4s, but I do and it's got nothing wrong with it, to upgrade when the 4 is still a perfectly good handset (when used with a bumper ) seems foolhardy.

You will be disappointed at some point if you go with the S4, everyone is.
The Galaxy S4 is not out until the end of April so how can that be...

Last edited by riiidaa; 03 April 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03 April 2013, 07:43 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Not another OS update.

Why is so much need to constantly update OSs these days.
To patch exploitable holes?
Old 03 April 2013, 08:14 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Lets hope the new iOS actually brings some useful BASIC features its missed for years. Time and again I look at a contact where I have more than one phone number. All I want to do is re-order the phone numbers so that the one I most use is at the top.

Can you do this? nope. You have to manually cut and paste numbers in the order you want them to be as the iOS has no ability to re-order them.

I love my iPhone, but for all the singing and dancing about them, they do miss some pretty basic features. Not to mention, they are not nearly as stable as you would expect.
Old 03 April 2013, 08:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lmao, is this gonna be what the iphone4s was, what the iphone 5 was?

I'd wait till its actualy released before you start crowing jack.
Old 03 April 2013, 08:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
lmao, is this gonna be what the iphone4s was, what the iphone 5 was?
Much more than that, this will be the first major update to the user interface. It's obviously going to be big news as the interface influenced all mobile interfaces.
Old 03 April 2013, 09:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Much more than that, this will be the first major update to the user interface. It's obviously going to be big news as the interface influenced all mobile interfaces.
Maybe an extra row of icons or even an extra button so you don't after back out of every app before opening a new one
Old 03 April 2013, 10:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
I wouldn't call pressing the update button in the menu faffing about

It is if it f**ks up the phone like iOS6.1 did. Not so easy to roll back to a previous version. Plus it takes 10-15mins, so not exactly quick, but I can live without a useable phone for that long, even if I pressed update instead of cancel by accident.

But of course I should have ensured the phone is fully synced and backed up before doing that. Just in case it gets totally bricked. Oh and charged or on mains power, with a WiFi reception. I don't have much 3G data.

Oh and I suppose I should ensure that there is enough free space on the phone.

Now that's what I call "faffing". Along of the concerns of what it will or won't do....

Like on the previous updates I may find its removed something useful (google maps) for something that's a bit pants (apple maps). Shortened my battery life, made the phone crash and stolen another load of memory. This new one may introduce more new bugs to further tar my enjoyment of this damn phone...although lets pray it finally fixes my pessimistic signal meter (doubtful).

I've turned my updates off now as I really can't be arsed with it anymore. Its getting as bad as a sodding PC on patch Tuesday.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 April 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03 April 2013, 11:48 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Luminous
I love my iPhone, but for all the singing and dancing about them, they do miss some pretty basic features. Not to mention, they are not nearly as stable as you would expect.

That's a statement that interests me, because for me iOS is rock solid, very few poxy error messages and v few crashes, both on my iPad and iPhone which is what I like about them. Having said that I'm not using iOS 6. What instability have you experienced?
Old 04 April 2013, 07:18 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I can't wait to get rid of my Andtiod phone and replace it with an iPhone having now used the iPad for a while, it's much more user friendly and far more stable.
Old 04 April 2013, 10:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

iOS is rock solid for me too. I have had Facebook or the odd free App crash out, but that's super rare, like once a year and I must restart my phone once a quarter.

I was looking at Android again last night, I don't think there's one thing I would take from it. The introduction of Notification Center led to a well deserved hat tip for Android, not so sure that will happen this time. I think they'll take from Windows this time, tiles are kind of nice.
Old 04 April 2013, 11:55 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

I hope the battery life will be one of the main things they look at, I updated the wifes 4s to 6.1.3 (and 6.1.2 before that) and the battery life is abysmal and seems to be even getting worse with each update.
Old 04 April 2013, 04:03 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

That's a statement that interests me, because for me iOS is rock solid, very few poxy error messages and v few crashes, both on my iPad and iPhone which is what I like about them. Having said that I'm not using iOS 6. What instability have you experienced?
My phone itself has crashed 4 times this year, mostly when attempting to receive a call. Several of my apps have crashed off and on, maybe 5-10 times.

I also work with computers and see a lot of customer's phones, and they too have had issues with them.

They are good, but not perfect. I am using iPhone 4s and most up to date iOS
Old 04 April 2013, 06:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It is if it f**ks up the phone like iOS6.1 did. Not so easy to roll back to a previous version. Plus it takes 10-15mins, so not exactly quick, but I can live without a useable phone for that long, even if I pressed update instead of cancel by accident.

But of course I should have ensured the phone is fully synced and backed up before doing that. Just in case it gets totally bricked. Oh and charged or on mains power, with a WiFi reception. I don't have much 3G data.

Oh and I suppose I should ensure that there is enough free space on the phone.

Now that's what I call "faffing". Along of the concerns of what it will or won't do....

Like on the previous updates I may find its removed something useful (google maps) for something that's a bit pants (apple maps). Shortened my battery life, made the phone crash and stolen another load of memory. This new one may introduce more new bugs to further tar my enjoyment of this damn phone...although lets pray it finally fixes my pessimistic signal meter (doubtful).

I've turned my updates off now as I really can't be arsed with it anymore. Its getting as bad as a sodding PC on patch Tuesday.

You must of had very bad luck to have all that happen. I plug my phone in just befor bed and let it update then. Wake up and it's fully working.
Old 04 April 2013, 07:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phones crashing? What is that? No seriously I've never experienced a crash with my S3.
Old 05 April 2013, 03:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bioforger
Phones crashing? What is that? No seriously I've never experienced a crash with my S3.
LOL. My iPhone woke me not with an alarm this morning, but with a cup of tea and a bacon butty.

Last edited by JackClark; 05 April 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 08:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this mean Apple will get more than 6 hours battery life out of a phone after an update??
Sorry to say but every time Apple has released a new os it's been disappointing

Quick Reply: iOS 7