Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Blackberry

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2013, 05:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default New Blackberry

Looks like an iPhone 5, how come they didn't make it look like a Samsung?

Anyhow, the only way that think will set the world alight is if they used cheap batteries.
Old 30 January 2013, 06:10 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And a SD card slot of course
Old 30 January 2013, 06:40 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

Cheap batteries?
Old 30 January 2013, 07:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it looks pretty good and the OS looks pretty slick and great for multitasking and had some good features But I think it maybe too little too late (yet again!). I think it would tempt existing BB users but with competition out there, it will be difficult to tempt new or former users and will rely heavily from corporate users. But then again corporates are now moving to adopt a "bring your own devices" policy. I for one hope they will succeed with two new devices, it'll be good for the consumer and for the mobile market.
Old 30 January 2013, 07:55 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I put a thread in NSR.

As an ex-iPhone user and current blackberry user, i. personally think it's too little too late.

Hope it isn't the case, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 30 January 2013, 08:01 PM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

BlackBerry 10... Waiting for mine..
Old 30 January 2013, 10:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'd have one, might trade the Nokia in when they're in the clearance bin with the Playbooks.
Old 30 January 2013, 10:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, I won't be "upgrading". I'm bored with blackberry.

That said, I'll be struggling to find a replacement phone. Ip5 and any HTC/Samsung don't impress me tbh.

What *did* impress me was the playbook. Picked one up cheap for my daughter. Some of its functions/usage would be great on my ipad (gestures/swipes from the picture frame, for one).....

But I wouldn't the surprised if the writing's on the wall for Blackberry,especially after the disastrous interviews on bbc this morning were any hint of what is to come. Talk about desperation.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:04 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Looks like an iPhone 5, how come they didn't make it look like a Samsung?

Anyhow, the only way that think will set the world alight is if they used cheap batteries.
Shocking another smartphone that looks similar to all the other smartphones on the market Seriously how do yo differentiate your product, they're all just touch screens enclosed in a slim case. Apple, Samsung, HTC, Blackberry, they are all going to look similar. Same goes for tablets. So are Apple lining up a lawsuit against Blackberry now
Old 31 January 2013, 09:11 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I think they never recovered from the service outage they had.
These phones are a year too late for them. It's a real shame because RIM usually offer something a little different to the market. Their Playbook has some great features.

Blackberry, are, in all intense and purposes going through what should be called the 'Nokia Dip'. Once kings, now slipping into obscurity as others have innovated and left them behind.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Graz
Shocking another smartphone that looks similar to all the other smartphones on the market Seriously how do yo differentiate your product, they're all just touch screens enclosed in a slim case. Apple, Samsung, HTC, Blackberry, they are all going to look similar. Same goes for tablets. So are Apple lining up a lawsuit against Blackberry now
The iPhone doesn't look like a Galaxy S3, Samsung took the copying route early on, leading to the lawsuit you refer to, the one a bit like OJ's trial. My point is Blackberry could have made their phone look like any phone on the market, they chose to make it so similar to the iPhone even the BBC - Android Lovers - are reporting it. I think it's great, suits me.

Last edited by JackClark; 31 January 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:27 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I think they never recovered from the service outage they had.
The loss of new business and massive erosion of their silly expensive enterprise product was strangling them. Hopefully the service outage was due to reshaping and they're now less expensive yet stable.

I don't want my only alternative being Android, I had to use Ubuntu for a day this week, good but not good enough and Windows might be good in 3 years time.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:36 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm still tempted by a WP8 device, just for something different really.
Just have a feeling it's going to be a little like HD-DVD.
Old 31 January 2013, 11:48 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

+1

Looked at WP8, but have that same feeling.

Don't like the Android stuff as the OS just gives me the feeling of a bag of bolts.

iPhone? Now I've got an iPad, iOS makes sense on this device. IMHO, it's stupid in a phone, as the screen is too small (even for my child-size digits!) AND there is an inherent typing speed issue (that is also on the iPad) - it's too slow to type.
I can only compare to my piano-playing: I can happily run up and down a keyboard all day. Very quickly. Much quicker than I can type.
iOS apps allow me to run up and down a virtual piano keyboard quickly. Happy Bunny.

Yet when I try to type quickly, it's as if the OS is trying to slow me down. HIGHLY frustrating as it isn't an issue on my daughter's Playbook, for example.

This, tbh, was the reason I went for my BB9810 - the physical keyboard (the touch-keyboard is rubbish too). iPhone/iPad are too slow to type on (for me).

Whilst I like iOS and generally sign up to Apple products, I'm VERY wary about getting an iPhone5 due to this issue. (which is a BIG one for me, as is the lack of customisation - text alert sounds being a PITA).....

So, I look at a new phone with tbh, grave concern, as I fear that I'll be unhappy with most of the offerings.
Perhaps I'm getting to an age where the desire for a phone is becoming less important - I LOVE the fact that each night, I turn my phone off. I don't even take it on holiday any more. It's become a device that allows me to communicate with the "outside" world - and the luxury being that I can do this on MY terms....

Dan (old git!)
Old 31 January 2013, 12:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

As long as I have an iPad I can do without an iPhone, but, if I don't have to do without it's quite a luxury. The keyboard has since launch done very clever things, there's always a trade off. I don't notice it unless I'm my iPad with the split keyboard.
Old 31 January 2013, 12:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I like the new BB 10 and thinking get Q10(I prefer QWERTY-keyboard),have already now older 9900 and 9700

Jura
Old 31 January 2013, 01:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I did like the 8910 Curve I had a couple of years ago. It was the best 'phone' I had ever had up to that point. But apart from being great at making calls and receiving/sending emails, there wasn't really anything else you could do with it.

Hopefully, this new BB will be a success. Am I right in saying that Blackberrys are quite popular with kids due to the BB messaging system?
May be that is the market that should concentrate on first, but I doubt this new phone will be cheap enough for that market segment.
Old 31 January 2013, 01:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice advert Jack, you're clearly rattled.
Old 31 January 2013, 04:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're getting rid of Blackberrys as an organisation in a couple of months.

They've proved unreliable, connection issues (BBs on Voda regularly go to SOS while any other device bedside them on same network has full signal -wtf?) and battery life poor after a few months use.

Looking at options just now, but it doesn't matter how good the new one is, RIM from a corporate perspective is dead in the water
Old 31 January 2013, 04:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

What are the license fees now?