Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sky TV discounts

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2013, 01:46 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky TV discounts

How many people have recently threatened to leave Sky and received a discount on their package to remain subscribed?

I am hearing mixed reviews in some people getting 50% discount on their TV subscription for 12 months, others getting half price line rental for 6 months.

Is it true Sky cannot apply two discounts to a contract.

Sky are expensive and continue to increase prices but their choice of channels/services is really competitive

What are peoples opinions on this?

Obviously Sky would do anything to retain their customers whether they pay the basic £24 for TV or £90 for everything (broadband, telephone, tv).

Does it pay to be loyal - Sky continue to provide offers/discounts for new customers but find it difficult that they do little for loyal customers.
Old 09 January 2013, 01:57 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
How many people have recently threatened to leave Sky and received a discount on their package to remain subscribed?

I am hearing mixed reviews in some people getting 50% discount on their TV subscription for 12 months, others getting half price line rental for 6 months.

Is it true Sky cannot apply two discounts to a contract.

Sky are expensive and continue to increase prices but their choice of channels/services is really competitive

What are peoples opinions on this?

Obviously Sky would do anything to retain their customers whether they pay the basic £24 for TV or £90 for everything (broadband, telephone, tv).

Does it pay to be loyal - Sky continue to provide offers/discounts for new customers but find it difficult that they do little for loyal customers.
Not wishing to hijack this thread.

I will be interested to find out about this too. Currently paying for HD and and standard Multi-room with the movies package and paying £62.50 a month. The Multi-room box is a standard Sky+ Pace box (Not an HD one), yet you have to pay for a new multi-room box

Thinking about threatening cancellation on the movies, as I hardly use these channels due to already seeing the films.
Old 09 January 2013, 02:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if you get the right packages theres only a few channels that arn't on virgin and vica versa.

I think you need to look at what you actualy watch, not what you want, then decide.

having espn on virgin is a big plus for me cos I watch alot of basketball, on sky epsn is a pay for chanel.
Old 09 January 2013, 02:07 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Phone up the cancellations section and tell them what you want; I find this approach very effective. I have recently been given a 2TB box for £49, multi-room free for 12 months and a 25% reduction on my subscription for 6 months. Make sure you speak to somebody in the UK and not India!
Old 09 January 2013, 02:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
if you get the right packages theres only a few channels that arn't on virgin and vica versa.

I think you need to look at what you actualy watch, not what you want, then decide.

having espn on virgin is a big plus for me cos I watch alot of basketball, on sky epsn is a pay for chanel.
Great for those who have this choice. Unfortunately where I live I have no Virgin Cable access
Old 09 January 2013, 02:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jpor
Great for those who have this choice. Unfortunately where I live I have no Virgin Cable access
lol, yeah
Old 09 January 2013, 03:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

It's worth a shot If anything
Old 09 January 2013, 03:38 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had something off them when I've phoned and threatened to leave. Last time round it was 20% off my TV package (which is only the basic one) but it is still cheaper than Virgin or BT, and I wouldn't go with the latter if you paid me

I'm due to phone them again as my 20% discount is about to run out, but having looked at Lovefilm and Netflix and how cr@p the films are that you can download in the package I'll probably get a films add-on too
Old 09 January 2013, 04:11 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Dosent always work tbh, but I complained to leave and after a few discussions in comparing other companies, I got 30% for 9 months on whole bill (I have full package inc tv,broadband & phone)
But Ive heard if you try get more after discount has ran out, it's harder to get them on your side.
Also I have the movies too, but if I want to watch a pay per view movie then I do it via Xbox as its cheaper than sky.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 09 January 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:37 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

I phoned up to cancel the other day beacause ive had enough of paying the £26 for the channels we have,its just not worth it.
They didnt offer me anything and just went ahead with the cancelation.
But i will just go with the freesat as this has the most watched channels on anyway,and its free!!
Old 09 January 2013, 04:46 PM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

it depends on the operator you get through to, some are arrogant and will just put you through to the cancellations dept (who sometimes offer you incentives to stay) yet others will do pretty much what you want within reason. ive got the full tv package, phone and fibre optic broadband with them and last time i phoned them they did a half price on the full tv package for 6 months. when you eventually get through to the operator its worth asking if there are any offers which can be applied to your account as there usually are, but they wont tell you unless you ask. it really does depend on who you get through to. sky are ruthless though and have no inclination to look after existing customers.
Old 09 January 2013, 05:00 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beal
I phoned up to cancel the other day beacause ive had enough of paying the £26 for the channels we have,its just not worth it.
They didnt offer me anything and just went ahead with the cancelation.
But i will just go with the freesat as this has the most watched channels on anyway,and its free!!
I gurantee you if you ask to cancel they will do their upmost to offer you some kind of discount.

I heard the lady sitting behind me at work talking to sky about cancelling her TV subscription and guess what they applied 50% for 6 months of her TV subscription which like you is only £26 in the first place. She had a 25% discount last year and this time round is paying even less.

It does depend on which 'bellend' you get on the other end though. Must be hard for Sky to continue dominating the market since lovefilm and netflix have started up.
Old 09 January 2013, 05:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freesat isn't bad at all IMHO, but it depends whether Sky has something you value as much as their subscription. It doesn't for me, not anywhere near. If I could get some decent movies, HD and a few interesting factual channels for £10 a month I'd go for it, that is its worth to me.
Old 09 January 2013, 06:48 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25% discount for 12 months here for a 5/10 min phone call, £200 a year saving that

Let them know you are going to a competitor and they will give you a discount, Dont just go through to cancelations, Ask for a review of the account as you are thinking its getting a bit expensive and you have been offered a cheaper service and ask them if they can do anything for you,
Old 09 January 2013, 07:14 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Tell them you are being made redundant

£3 a month for 6 months untill you find employment
Old 09 January 2013, 10:04 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I got 25% off for 12 months on the basic package.
Would be interested to know if you do go through with cancelling the subscription and just have their freesat service whether they blitz your Sky+ box so it won't record?
Old 09 January 2013, 10:14 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Would be interested to know if you do go through with cancelling the subscription and just have their freesat service whether they blitz your Sky+ box so it won't record?
They can't blitz your sky box, the feature is in the system and 2 arials, as long as the channels are open then there's no problem, they can turn off the 2nd box if you have one as that is a paid subscription.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:25 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

i literally phoned them to cancel my web a couple of days ago. When they asked me if they could make me stay , i said i am going to Fibre Optic and they said they could do it. I dont know how much of a deal i got , but i am just paying more. Got a free router , install , 3 months half price. I am being treated as a new customer , but im not sure if i would have been anyway ?

From what i hear (a mate cancelled his HD subscription) they just offer you something extra at a discount for the first few months. As my mate said , if you ring up to cancel something because you cant afford it , why do they think you would want something ADDED to your account , discounted or not !

They are never going to say "oh you cant afford HD any more ? ah well , then we could give it to you half price for 3 months as you have been so loyal to us"

its in their interest to sell you something more.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Sky+ functions wont work. Currently using mine as a freesat box as I just don't watch TV anymore.
Old 10 January 2013, 07:51 AM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

I threatened to leave a week or so ago and think I got a pretty good deal, well I was happy with it anyway. £60pm for everything which is for the full sky world package (Movies/Sports/HD/3D) and 3 x Multiroom.

I had 2 HD boxes already in the house before I phoned, 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom but they offered another 2 HD boxes fitted free of charge, so I now have 1 in living room, 1 in dining room and 2 in the bedrooms.

Was pretty happy with that to be honest, 3D channel is superb, the Chelsea game last night was impressive. Worth paying a bit for that 3D channel alone.

Last edited by LEO-RS; 10 January 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:16 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

But did they make make your bill any cheaper , or dit they just give you something extra ?
Old 10 January 2013, 10:45 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

I cancelled ours after speaking with c/c to see what they could do, as out of contract, they said could knock a tenner off iirc, so i cancelled. 2 weeks later i was back with sky full packages plus multi room £31 p/m plus £50 cash back, on a 12 month contract.
Old 11 January 2013, 07:04 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Always wondered if that worked !
Old 11 January 2013, 09:59 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just got Sky multiroom for only £2.50 a month for 12 months.
They are supplying a non-recordable HD box but they will run the twin core cable up to the room, so I can swap it over for my spare HD+ box. Job done.

Also got Sky Broadband Unlimited which they are offering for free for the first 6 months.

Probably could have got more if I had pushed but I was quite happy with that.

Old 11 January 2013, 10:28 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

so I was offered at the beginning of the week half price line rental (phone line). I rang again later and said I would like to completely cancel my Sky tv subscription which I pay £65 incl. HD. Agent went away and came back with an offer of half price HD subscription totalling £5.13. Not good enough so said Sky TV subs is a large chunk of money I pay for and therefore want it removed but retain the broadband and line rental for now.
Oh, all of a sudden another offer popped on her screen. She then gave me 25% of my tv subscription, still with the 50% off the line rental which is a saving of about £120 per month for 6 months.

Reduced bill from a total package of £85 to £64 per month (or thereabouts).

Cancelling then rejoining does work so I am told as you would receive a phone call once a Sky team get notice of your request to leave. Its is there you are given offers to remain a customer.
Old 11 January 2013, 10:36 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Sky+ functions wont work. Currently using mine as a freesat box as I just don't watch TV anymore.
Thanks for that. We don't watch a lot of TV but we only ever watch stuff we've recorded. Never live TV. Would miss Sky+ too much. I know you can get freesat recorder boxes from other places but Sky's system is a lot like Apple's phones, they 'just work and do what they do really well'...
Old 11 January 2013, 10:37 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

This is useful to know. Going to ring up myself as technically I dont bother now with the movies on Sky as by the time they come to show any I have already seen them
Will see what happens.
Old 12 January 2013, 08:09 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

I rang up last month to actually cancel my subscription as I was paying £70 for basic package including sky sports news (not free anymore :-( ) unlimited broadband, phone line and sky +. The guy said "I can see your bills are quite expensive, and you have no discounts so I'll add some. At this point I thought it was too easy. He said I can get it down to £36 is that ok? :-D Ok then :-D:-D:-D

I know of friends that STILL pay over £70 for what I had and cant be bothered to phone and ask. Its well worth it. I need Internet so need a phone line (no cable access here unfortunately) so that alone would amount to at least £20 so for a little extra I get all the other channels including sky+. Dont ask, don't get ;-)
Old 12 January 2013, 08:39 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irondrew
basic package including sky sports news (not free anymore
It's still free. We only have the basic TV package with Sky, and I was SNS all the time.
Old 12 January 2013, 08:45 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Must have changed? I remember having to subscribe to a news package for an extra £1 to get it. It must have changed back.

Quick Reply: Sky TV discounts