Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HP Laserjet 5L Paper Management

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2002, 08:44 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Ok I've been getting very annoyed with my laserjet over the past months!
Almost always when it tries to print a page, it whirs like normal, but never manages to suck the page in. The single slot is usually a bit more reliable, but not nearly 50%. Shoving it down into the printer while it's whirring sometimes helps things along, but not always, and it leads to creased paper!
The only time things seem to improve is when there's not much paper left in the bin, then it gets to about 90% reliability, but refilling every 10 pages gets annoying.
It's probably 4 or 5 years old now, and has never needed a new toner in its life, so that gives you an idea of how much it gets used. When I do use it however, it tends to be a fair bit at a time, printing A level coursework and so on.
Things improved briefly when I cleaned it all out etc, but only for a week or two.

Any ideas how I can fix the paper feeding reliability, before it drives me insane the morning before my next deadline

Edit: I should probably be more specific about what happens when it fails to print a page. It has a couple of goes of the whirring, then a paper jam warning comes up on screen, even though there's no (visible) jam. Pressing the printer button makes it have another go.

Cheers,
Scoobyster

[Edited by scoobyster - 5/14/2002 8:48:36 PM]
Old 14 May 2002, 09:02 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the paper pickup rollers are dusty, what I tend to do is get a few sheets of paper, then use some Isoclene alcohol based cleaning fluid and put it all over the bottom of the paper. Then get the printer to do a page feed, let it pick up the paper and then hold it there so the rubber feet whir round against the alcohol soaked paper which cleans them up nicely. Repeat with clean bits of paper (you will see what I mean when you do it) and it should eventually solve the problem.

JB
Old 14 May 2002, 09:33 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

_I think_ there is a kit to fix this problem on the 5L. There is definetly a kit for the 6L and it is the same engine.

The kit inserts a new paper pressure pad so that it picks up paper properly.

I will check in the office tomorrow for you..
Old 15 May 2002, 09:31 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Angry

I used to use one of these, and had the same problems that you have encountered.

I also had problems with the drivers for XP.

So i bought a new Epson laser, twice the reslolution (true 1200 x 1200 dpi) and haven't looked back since...........

Well.....the HP5L is still connected on the computer in the office below me and, yup you guessed it, it's as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
Old 15 May 2002, 12:21 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
ahhhh...the joys of the LaserJet 5L & 6L - the paper handling is ABSOLUTE pants.

We had many of these...some lasted 6 months, some a year or so......they have all had at least 1 paper pickup kit fitted, most were thrown through windows by irate users

There is a website that sells the kit to fix them...its quite cheap but a bitch to fit, the case is a bastid to remove.

The trick of cleaneing the pickup roller with isoclene is good one, but very temporary you will find.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ech/5ljam1.htm

There is a uk site too.......cant find it ..sorry
Old 15 May 2002, 12:25 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

Mine sux too [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Takes about 5 sheets through at a time !
Old 15 May 2002, 01:30 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I have about 8 kits for the 6l knocking around.