Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Toshiba TV - firmware upgrade solves one problem and causes another

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2012, 03:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toshiba TV - firmware upgrade solves one problem and causes another

Toshiba Regza 40" LCD TV 40LV665D.

I upgraded the firmware from a Toshiba international website because I was having crackling noises in the background from a new HDMI media player when playback was paused. This was both through internal and external speakers connected to the 3.5mm headphone jack which has worked fine with other sources for a few years.

Firmware update fixed the above issue immediately.

It also caused a new popping noise only through external speakers when my satellite box changes channels or Blu ray playback is stopped or started. This happens through all HDMI ports with different devices and cables.

I had no option to save the old firmware, but the new problem is worse than the original crackling noise that was solved. Toshiba want me to take it to an authorised repair centre (out of warranty) and decline my request to have earlier firmware to try. I suppose it could be a capacitor on the headphone output stage that is causing the popping, but without letting me try earlier firmware they think the firmware upgrade is coincidental, yet I think I know better

I have searched, but I wonder if anyone knows a source of earlier version firmware for Toshiba TVs.