Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Newsgroups the end is Nigh

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2012, 11:18 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Newsgroups the end is Nigh

Well nzbmatrix has now shutdown, and its becoming increasingly difficult for people to use portals such as that.

Ive worked with a few guys who have been part of that dodgy scene since the Days of Drink or Die DOD, and it was an alternative for people who didn't have private FTP sites, as a way to get music etc. obviously P2P is the way most do it but that's really bad and problematic.

My view is that long ago yes warez etc was what most tried to do, but with everything being cloud and online, its much better to buy now anyway, Downloadable content online multiplayer etc. I just don't see the point anymore. Xbox games Ps3 all play much better with online, OK yes you can fudge online play with APPs but seriously its a cop out

I tend to use steam for PC Games, Xbox Music is now my pref streamer, Although they need to pull there finger out for IOS app. Xbox and Ps3 if its new I buy it, otherwise EBAY for the 5 quid specials.

3DS games I buy and wifes bought me a XL for Xmas, as I find the DS is still a cracking console due to the unique games it produces,

My Vita is ok, its getting good now, the Playstation Plus is giving me free stuff. on that note if any of you haven't bought Playstation plus go get it, Lots of nice games now FREE, this months is Batman Arkam.

I know a lot of you will be X Pikeys we all admit having the odd warez,

A little story for you,
" when I started in IT as you do I was Break Fix, I was called to a place in Harrogate where the Police live, Panal if any of you know it, I was sent to try fix or look at a cd writer, one of them biguns with bay doors on, that does 50 Cds. I got there opened up the machine, and guess what was in it
Die Hard for the Playstation LOL. Anyway I went for Lunch in the Canteen and some bigg hitters came in, well policemen with the flat caps posh suits lots of badges. as I watched they both had there dinner and then bought some games HAHA, so even the cops were dodge back in the day.

Ted
Old 11 December 2012, 08:56 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

They are only closing the nzb sites, the content is all still there. If you have a newsreader with a search facility it's fine. It's not as easy, but it's workable.

There will always be a way for those who want it.

To be honest, the subscriptions to something like Netflix make paying for Usenet access less attractive, but what Usenet is great for is TV series.

The software is usually full of viruses and spyware anyway.

Geezer
Old 11 December 2012, 10:19 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It's only the die hards nowadays, what a change from a year ago when even old grannies at the bus stop were telling me about this t'internet thing and how everything's free now their grandson had fixed it. Thankfully people are seeing sense and using some of the excellent services paying has afforded us, yes you have to wait a little longer but everyone is winning.
Old 11 December 2012, 04:54 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have Netflix and the content is pretty limited considering they have 30million subscribers

Its still really easy to download newsgroups as there is loads of sites still out there.
Old 11 December 2012, 04:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I hear VPN's are good for extra content, you may get beheaded for using it in certain countries though.
Old 12 December 2012, 06:57 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I used to use NZB Matrix now I am back to Binsearch, they won't be able to take that down for a while.

Old 13 December 2012, 02:52 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

NZB sites may go down, but usenet won't. I remember the days without NZBs. A little harder and more inconvenient, but kept those that wanted, fixed.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2012, 07:50 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

nzbrus is back up and running
Old 13 December 2012, 08:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
nzbrus is back up and running
Cool Let the thieving resume!
Old 13 December 2012, 09:18 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Cool Let the thieving resume!
never stopped sweet cheeks, run along
Old 14 December 2012, 08:05 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

they will never shut them all down, they will just move the server like the bay. With talk of encrypting the data to hide it then they will loose there current ability to track what your downloading.

The industry is fighting a loosing battle because games prices going up and up. how they can justify £39.99 for a game now adays i dont know. If they sold them nearer £15 people would buy them alot more rather than download.
Old 14 December 2012, 08:12 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You missed the DLC through the year adding about £30-£40 on top of the £40 game.
Old 14 December 2012, 08:29 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
You missed the DLC through the year adding about £30-£40 on top of the £40 game.
should wait for steam sales mate, normaly drop right down

but it is a fair comment.

its same as films, its pirated for two reasons.
1 to watch it early without going to cinema (although £30 for two people with a drink and pop corn is rediculas)
2 get it cheap

i buy odd dvd's from asda/tesco for a 2-5 £, even some films i've seen several times but like enough to get the dvd. folks do that pretty often, pick them up when they see them cheap. So seems to me that film/game industry is missing a trick with it.
Old 14 December 2012, 08:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
The industry is fighting a loosing battle because games prices going up and up. how they can justify £39.99 for a game now adays i dont know.
If they are fighting a losing battle then before long there won't be anyone left to write the games in the first place!

If they sold them nearer £15 people would buy them alot more rather than download.
That argument is utter horsesh1t, why pay anything when you can have it for free? The culture of theft has become the norm and it won't ever change now.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:30 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

should wait for steam sales mate, normaly drop right down

but it is a fair comment.

its same as films, its pirated for two reasons.
1 to watch it early without going to cinema (although £30 for two people with a drink and pop corn is rediculas)
2 get it cheap

i buy odd dvd's from asda/tesco for a 2-5 £, even some films i've seen several times but like enough to get the dvd. folks do that pretty often, pick them up when they see them cheap. So seems to me that film/game industry is missing a trick with it.
The only pc/mac games I buy from steam is football manager quality game and only £30
Old 14 December 2012, 09:37 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If they are fighting a losing battle then before long there won't be anyone left to write the games in the first place!

That argument is utter horsesh1t, why pay anything when you can have it for free? The culture of theft has become the norm and it won't ever change now.
I'm sorry but you're wrong the game industry is booming , massive figures for call of duty $500m on first day,FIFA 13, battlefield ,assassins creed,halo, batman,borderlands,skyrim. The key to all these games are longativity and quality game play.

Which I happily pay for ,its the tripe they churn out at £45 and its over with I'm 2 hours

Last edited by Ant; 14 December 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:38 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I don't think the argument is without merit. I used to download MP3's but now get all my music through legitimate streaming services like Spotify and Napster. I'm happy paying £10 a month for the ease of use and lack of hassle.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:41 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

they are always trying to keep up with the pirates rather than getting ahead of them.

it's not horsesh1t, the whole point is margins, if something is cheap enough then people wont bother to pirate cos they can't make much on it, and the consumer will just buy because the cost saving isn;t worth the hassel of trying to get it work right.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:43 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Prime example of crap I downloaded Keith lemon DVD, it was the worse crap I've ever seen!! Glad I didn't pay £13 for the bluray

Before our little girl came along we had a cineworld unlimited pass it was brilliant as if a film was crap it wasn't too bad.

I don't see why they can't provide a service to watch films on demand at the same at the cinema
Old 14 December 2012, 09:43 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
The only pc/mac games I buy from steam is football manager quality game and only £30

i've got waaaaaay too many games on steam now lol 200+. 95% have been bought in the sales unless theres a specific game i want sooner, bought farcry3 the day it came out completed it wed night lol

good game as well by the wya so i'd recomend it
Old 14 December 2012, 09:46 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I don't see why they can't provide a service to watch films on demand at the same at the cinema
yeah i agree, i got lovefilm subscription thinking it would be all the latest titles to watch on demand, then found out the online selection is total pish, was rather disapointed and cancelled sub, glad i used a try a month for free for it and didnt pay lol Netflix seems to have the same selection online as well
Old 14 December 2012, 10:14 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i've got waaaaaay too many games on steam now lol 200+. 95% have been bought in the sales unless theres a specific game i want sooner, bought farcry3 the day it came out completed it wed night lol

good game as well by the wya so i'd recomend it
I haven't got the pc power or graphics to run that, I use my pc for downloading and transferring file to nas.

I have been looking into it though (upgrading )
Old 14 December 2012, 10:28 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I haven't got the pc power or graphics to run that, I use my pc for downloading and transferring file to nas.

I have been looking into it though (upgrading )
consoles are great for plug and play, but i hate shooters on them, can;t stand the controls. driving i use game pad, flight games joystick lol

got a steering wheel for it as well but dont ue it much, in fact not used it since we moved house nearly 2 years ago, might give it a go again cos the issue i had back then was difficult to use cos of comp being on a small desk, now got my own geek room and hooge desk hehe
Old 14 December 2012, 04:34 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
Prime example of crap I downloaded Keith lemon DVD, it was the worse crap I've ever seen!! Glad I didn't pay £13 for the bluray

Before our little girl came along we had a cineworld unlimited pass it was brilliant as if a film was crap it wasn't too bad.

I switched it off after 5 minutes.
Old 16 December 2012, 07:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has Nzbsrus went to the wall too? tried to access it today and can't get it to work.
Old 17 December 2012, 06:38 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Has Nzbsrus went to the wall too? tried to access it today and can't get it to work.
still works for me , they had issues regarding https:

try this https://www.nzbsrus.com/index.php
Old 17 December 2012, 08:23 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How safe is this bitcoin business?
Old 17 December 2012, 09:06 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Never tried it tbh
Old 18 December 2012, 11:40 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
How safe is this bitcoin business?
It is a bit hit and miss. I've bought some, erm, things using BitCoin and it is fine. However, the seller remains anonymous and you obviously do not if it is a physical item as you have to have it shipped to you.
Old 19 December 2012, 08:04 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boxst
It is a bit hit and miss. I've bought some, erm, things using BitCoin and it is fine. However, the seller remains anonymous and you obviously do not if it is a physical item as you have to have it shipped to you.
Has anyone used the direct bank transfer method that nzbrus are recommending? Is it a UK bank account?

You can be hit with large transfer fees if the account is abroad.
It sort of defeats the object of an anonymous currency.

This seems a much better method.
https://localbitcoins.com/

Quick Reply: Newsgroups the end is Nigh