Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 7 vs Linux

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2012, 10:59 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Windows 7 vs Linux

I have been using Linux for some years now and on the whole have been quite happy with it. It all started when I tried MS Vista on my laptop. What a crock of **** that was, Vista was slow buggy and lacked support and was so frustrated with it I thought FU Microsoft and went with Ubuntu. It was great, it was fast, stable, secure and more to the point, absolutely FREE!

But now I have a new laptop, 2nd gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD and I am now thinking of going back to Microsoft and installing Windows 7 on my laptop. I use it at work and have it on my desktop PC for the kids and I have to say Windows 7 is pretty good and most of the write ups show Windows 7 on a par if not exceeding Ubuntu in terms of performance.

So I did some googling to see what the consensus was regarding the two and came across this frank and rather honest video

I think that's made my mind up!
Old 16 June 2012, 12:08 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is amusing, more so because the guy is a total idiot, how is it a Linux issue if he hasn't the ability to cam his screen?

If you have been using Linux for years, then surely you already know the advantages of it, his point about half the internet not working because Silverlight is not compatable with Linux, who the f**k installs Silverlight these days? It is a proper piece of s**t framework that is getting phased out.

So i wouldn't be taking his advice.
Old 16 June 2012, 03:29 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

But he does have a point and a lot of things just doesn't work as seamlessly if at all like it does in Windows7. Ubuntu has come on leaps and bounds since I first used 6.04, but I think with every iteration it has gained some bloat in making it more user friendly and prettier to look at and with it no longer has the performance advantage it once had over Windows. Also hardware compatibility and usability has massively improved and I hardly ever need to open a terminal window now.

With regards to Silverlight, Linux uses the open source equivalent Moonlight. It does work with some sites but still quite buggy. But I need Silverlight to use Sky Go and watch F1 and this doesn't work under Linux. I use Virtual Box host a Windows 7 guest, works quite well, but everynow and again, loses sound and the video can become laggy. Using Virtual Box also means power management goes out the window and drains the battery a lot quicker. Also I use the Windows PC to update and root my Galaxy Tab as well.

Ubuntu is a really good polished open source OS and probably the best of the Linux distros, but since Windows 7 it just can't compete with a fully fledged commercial product......That said, I'm still umming and arring whether to break my loyalty to Ubuntu and make the change....
Old 16 June 2012, 03:45 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest option would be to get Windows 7 then install Ubuntu as a dual boot, it's pretty straightforward. There's a guide to it here :

http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+b...erfect-harmony