Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Logging web sites via router

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2012, 09:24 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Logging web sites via router

Is it possible to log the activity from a router ?

I've got teenage kids & whilst I don't want to be overly snoopy - I do want to make sure they are not visiting anything too dodgy.

They can attach to the home router using phones etc so installing something on their PC's seems pointless.

I currently have a Virgin SuperHub but would be prepared to buy a new router if needed.

Basically what I want to do is catch them once then once they know I can do it. I would expect that they won't try again.

I don't want to log everythingthey do - I generally trust them and am fine with social networking sites & even mild **** but don't want them into anything too hard core.....

Thanks
Old 13 May 2012, 09:44 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

I don't think you can log anything unless you install a PC based firewall (something like Endian which is Linux based freeware).

You have one main easy option - use your router to blacklist sites - you can usually use wildcards too.

With this type of filtering they'll know they've been denied whereas with the logging approach (from what you say) it'll let them visit the site and they won't be any the wiser.

Old 13 May 2012, 10:33 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

My logic is that once they know that I can see what they do - they'll stop doing it

I tried 'intelegent' blocking software once before and it was a complete pain as it blocked way too much legit stuff too - my first job when I got in every night was to review & unblock.

Explicit URL blocking is a waste of time too as there's too much alternative content out there