Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2002, 12:35 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro’s and cons of an Xbox

I have read with interest the recent Xbox PS2 threads. I think I have been swayed towards the Xbox but have the following questions.

Can you chip an Xbox to use bootleg games like the PS2 can (not that I would).

Can you hire Xbox games at video shops.

What is the best package for my requirements, I like driving games and want 2 control pads. Are the packages all the same as I have seen four or five in PC world Dixons, Currys etc that are.

How much are the DVD adaptors.

Where is the cheapest place to get them and can you get them on Interest Free Credit.
Old 07 May 2002, 12:02 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Can you chip an Xbox to use bootleg games like the PS2 can (not that I would).
AFAIK, the UK Xbox will not run US games as the UK box's graphics is optimised for PAL format and the US one is optimised for the NTSC format.

Can you hire Xbox games at video shops.
All the Blockbuster shops around me have Xbox games to rent.

What is the best package for my requirements, I like driving games and want 2 control pads. Are the packages all the same as I have seen four or five in PC world Dixons, Currys etc that are.
Before the great price drop, I got mine with 3 games, extra controller for £399 + the DVD playback kit for another £30. That was from Currys, Comet were pretty competitive but their selection of games/accessories was not too hot. Probably best to take a walk up the high street to compare options - the difference between the high street and the 'net was neglible in my experience. BTW PCW, Dixons and Currys are all the same company, if you check their website(s) there is a tremendous sense of deja vu

How much are the DVD adaptors.
Thirty quid.

Where is the cheapest place to get them and can you get them on Interest Free Credit.
Dunno, I paid cash for mine. As say above, shop around to compare deals. There is no "wonder" deal, but there will be something that matches your requirements. I did and after a bit of looking I'm perfectly happy with the deal I got.
Old 07 May 2002, 10:41 AM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Just bought one at the weekend - with HALO, fantasticI paid £235 at Electronics Boutique, they said they would price match when I said it was £235 in Dixons - wish I had known they would price match beforehand I would have said it was £225 at Dixons

Cheers

Richard
Old 07 May 2002, 01:59 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply

I bought xbox with Project Gotham an extra controler and DVD adapter from currys on Friday night, think it was £270 all in. Project Gotham is cool as.

Cheers

Jeremy
Old 07 May 2002, 08:52 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Just for your info.....

The XBOX has recently had a chip made available, to enable it to play ORIGINAL discs that are from another region (eg. US on UK or visa versa).

A "Coding" group have also been able to succesfully back-up images. These images are available on several T3 enabled servers. As of yet these images only work on XBOX developer machines, but apparently "People" are on the case into producing an appropriate chip.

For obvious reasons, such links to websites cannot be made in these forums.

Regards,
Shaun.

Old 08 May 2002, 10:25 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.asp