Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Low performance on network

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2012, 12:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low performance on network

I have three wireless routers (BTHH2, BTHH3, Guru GWART 54215) connected by Comtrend mains adaptors to cover distances of 35m from one corner to another of a courtyard which includes 2m of stone walls. The three Comtrend mains adaptors are on three different electrical distribution boards but all off one electricity meter.

It works fine for surfing the internet as our connection is only about 5Mbits/s.

However, for copying files over the network the speed can vary from 32kbytes/s to 640kbytes/s. I saw up to 1000kbytes/s when I used more ethernet cables than wireless.

The wireless equipment that matters is mainly g not n.

The wireless networks share the same security and SSID, but the three routers have different IP addresses, and DHCP is only operational on the router attached to the ADSL connection.

The roaming works nice with no real dead spots, but now we're organising our setup to have all our data stored and backed up from one always on computer, the file copying and remote desktop performance can be slow and result in "not responding" and the need to close applications.

Replacing the mains adaptors with ethernet cables would surely help, and then hard wiring fixed computers.

The Comtrend adaptors (you get them free with BT vision boxes) have a status of red, orange or green indicating their connection speed. Red is <1Mbps but usually they show orange which is 1-10Mbps.

So I suppose my file copy speed isn't surprising.

Is an upgrade from Comtrend adaptors likely to help substantially?

Last edited by john banks; 01 March 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01 March 2012, 04:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had issues with comtrend adapters , iended up in the end running cat5 straight to where i wanted it.

Wireless is rubbish for file transfer. If you can try a cat5 solution.

Last edited by Ant; 01 March 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02 March 2012, 11:22 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
I had issues with comtrend adapters , iended up in the end running cat5 straight to where i wanted it.

Wireless is rubbish for file transfer. If you can try a cat5 solution.
+1 i'd never use wireless for regular file transfers. Either cat5 the lot or use powerline adapters. I use the 200M PLC adapters and very happy with them.
Old 03 March 2012, 01:22 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I got four 500Mb power line adaptors for £80 from ebay, not quite as fast as Cat 5 but very reasonable performance IMHO.

HTH

dunx
Old 03 March 2012, 01:47 PM
deswrx
Scooby Newbie

main issue is the fact your on different dis boards, powerline adaptors are good on same ring main speed will drop off on different rings but on same dis board as for using across different dis boards i couldn't tell you exactly but will be poor.. best bet as above cat cable end of problems. hope this helps.. mark