Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Graphics Card Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2012, 12:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphics Card Fault?

My old PC was running fine yesterday and seemed to shutdown properly from what I remember. Today my mrs turns it on and the windows (vista) loading screen appears but is covered in horizontal dots (full stops & colons) and then it just hangs with a blank screen full of the dots. Here is a pic:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...68928777mtHNQv

I rebooted it and you even see the same dots in the POST screen here although dots only visible within the AI logo and also surrounding the Intel logo in bottom right corner:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...68928777ztHVEf

If I run windows in safe mode it loads ok and cant see the same dots although the resolution is so low it might be hard to spot.

Ive tried the 2nd port on the card (BFG 8800GT OC2) and no change. Typical I dont have a spare PCIE gfx card to hand (found one in the loft but it was AGP lol) and my mobo Asus P5K-E doesnt have onboard gfx.

Hopefully I can find a friend with a spare one but in the meantime any other ideas?

And if it is my card what would be the equivalent of that card I could replace it with for as little outlay as possible? I dont play any games on this PC any more so something like an Nvidia N210 should suffice right?

Cheers
Simoon
Old 26 February 2012, 01:57 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Don't suppose the motherboard has an onboard gfx card you could use till your source another one?
Got the same monitor, been looking to get another but used ones still go for good money on eBay.
Old 26 February 2012, 02:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Nope unfortunately not. Done a bit more searching on google and looks like its knackered and a common fault on 8800's:

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19466795.aspx

N210 I can get for £25 delivered but 430 looks a lot better spec for £43 delivered so will prob order one of those
Old 26 February 2012, 10:53 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try re-install drivers and you will see if its happens again.

But GTX4XX are good GPU,but if i would go with GPU i would go again and again with ATi HD series

Jura
Old 26 February 2012, 10:59 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Yeah common fault on 8800's, can be fixed by stripping it down and putting it in the oven @ 200c for 10 minutes
It's to do with the solder they used when producing the boards
Old 27 February 2012, 07:33 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hi Jura

Thanks for the input. If it was purely a driver issue I wouldnt expect to see the same artifacts on my POST screen. I found quite a few similar posts on different forums and each time its been a failed card including a long thread on the DELL Forums where the issue was so common they extended warranty on this component. And mine is the OC'd version so its done well to last 5yrs +.

So I've ordered a GT430 which seems to offer similar spec to my 8800GT (OC). The ATI cards do seem to have better bang for buck at the lower prices (although I had some bad experiences in the past with 2 DoA ATI cards) but I had to stop myself doing the usual of "if I spend £10 I get x, then if I spend another £10 I can even get y" as I was already up to a HD6850 at £90 and there is no point having a decent card with the rest of my 5yr old PC needing a complete overhaul as well.

I will post back once I have the new card as to whether its fixed it.

Cheers
Simon
Old 27 February 2012, 08:58 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Where in the country are you?
Old 27 February 2012, 12:14 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I assume you did check the connection at the monitor? You can get some strange artifacts if the cable isn't fully secure. Just a thought.
Old 27 February 2012, 01:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Hi Jura

Thanks for the input. If it was purely a driver issue I wouldnt expect to see the same artifacts on my POST screen. I found quite a few similar posts on different forums and each time its been a failed card including a long thread on the DELL Forums where the issue was so common they extended warranty on this component. And mine is the OC'd version so its done well to last 5yrs +.

So I've ordered a GT430 which seems to offer similar spec to my 8800GT (OC). The ATI cards do seem to have better bang for buck at the lower prices (although I had some bad experiences in the past with 2 DoA ATI cards) but I had to stop myself doing the usual of "if I spend £10 I get x, then if I spend another £10 I can even get y" as I was already up to a HD6850 at £90 and there is no point having a decent card with the rest of my 5yr old PC needing a complete overhaul as well.

I will post back once I have the new card as to whether its fixed it.

Cheers
Simon

Hi Simon

Agreed on artefacts,i've just looked again on your posted pictures and looking its the GPU,but similar things happens to my friend and has been latest driver(ATi Catalyst),yes i know its not the nVidia..

Second thing i would suspect is VGA/DVI cable when is damaged this can happen too,but as you are said you will see when your new card will arrive

GT430 is good card,personally never tried,but from test looking like cheap and good buy

Good luck matey

Jura
Old 27 February 2012, 01:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by winston69
Where in the country are you?
As per profile - Berks nr Rreading/Wokingham.
Old 27 February 2012, 01:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
I assume you did check the connection at the monitor? You can get some strange artifacts if the cable isn't fully secure. Just a thought.
Yeah first thing I checked was to plug into a spare monitor and then I reseated cable at card end when I reseated the graphics card. No change. Couldnt find a spare cable to use but only thing I havent tried.

New 420 card is getting delivered from OCUK tomorrow £46 inc next day delivery. Was almost tempted to go into PC World and get one but looked online and are £65 and lesser spec.

I'm hoping its just a plug & play job and not a windows re-install.

On a positive note I did find a legit Win XP Pro CD I thought I'd lost ages ago. Found in my motherboards box Funny when you find something by pure chance that you'd given up all hope of finding before.
Old 27 February 2012, 01:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Simon

Agreed on artefacts,i've just looked again on your posted pictures and looking its the GPU,but similar things happens to my friend and has been latest driver(ATi Catalyst),yes i know its not the nVidia..

Second thing i would suspect is VGA/DVI cable when is damaged this can happen too,but as you are said you will see when your new card will arrive

GT430 is good card,personally never tried,but from test looking like cheap and good buy

Good luck matey

Jura
Yeah Im using vga with an adapter on the GFC card port. As I connect my PS3 to monitor via HDMI & DVI convertor. GT430 comes with all 3 port types.
Old 27 February 2012, 01:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Yeah first thing I checked was to plug into a spare monitor and then I reseated cable at card end when I reseated the graphics card. No change. Couldnt find a spare cable to use but only thing I havent tried.

New 420 card is getting delivered from OCUK tomorrow £46 inc next day delivery. Was almost tempted to go into PC World and get one but looked online and are £65 and lesser spec.

I'm hoping its just a plug & play job and not a windows re-install.

On a positive note I did find a legit Win XP Pro CD I thought I'd lost ages ago. Found in my motherboards box Funny when you find something by pure chance that you'd given up all hope of finding before.

Don't need re-install Windows,just plug and play and install drivers,older drivers i would remove via Driver Sweeper in Safe mode

Jura

Yeah Im using vga with an adapter on the GFC card port. As I connect my PS3 to monitor via HDMI & DVI convertor. GT430 comes with all 3 port types.
As i said,you will see and from this you will know for sure

Jura
Old 27 February 2012, 01:41 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I get that same problem if I overclock my 8800GT too far. Whilst I appreciate that it's factory overclocked, you could try stepping the GPU & memory clock speeds back much slower and see if that fixes it.
Old 27 February 2012, 09:35 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Defo card mate I had 2 ati do this when shipped with new pcs, worked for about 3 mins then that kind of screens on both

Return it or buy a new one
Old 27 February 2012, 09:39 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

It's 100% the card and it can be fixed, just google 8800 oven trick
Old 28 February 2012, 12:25 AM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same happen to me a couple of weeks ago with a 9600GT. Wish i'd known about the oven trick then!
Nevermind.. Bought a GTX 260 from a mate in work for £20.. sorted!
Old 28 February 2012, 12:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

If the new card works ok then I dont think I can be bothered to test the oven trick as would then need to put it back in my PC to test it.

If my new card ok and anyone wants a spare 8800GT to try fixing/ovening ie for SLI then I'll send it to you for just the postage cost
Old 29 February 2012, 07:17 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Update.....

The GT430 arrived yesterday - popped her in and no artifacting on POST screen and straight into Windows. Ripped out the old drivers in Safe Mode and installed latest ones from Nvidia. Working fine so far.

So offer still stands if anyone fancies a spare BFG 512mb 8800 GT OC2 to play with and try the oven baking fix then I'm happy to post out if you cover the postage.

Cheers
Simon