Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

liquid cpu cooling

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2012, 10:07 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default liquid cpu cooling

How good are these systems as I'm wanting to overclock my i5 cpu and the stock cooler just causes issues. I noticed the corsair h80 hydro cooler for £70 which isn't much more than some of the better air coolers,

I was just going to use the Asus software to overclock and on extreme settings it over clocks instantly to about 4.3ghz so would the h80 system be good for this.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:14 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just run a beefier air cooler, like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 £15, which I have on mine, which is oc'd to 4.6ghz without issue. Idle temps are fine 40-45C, max load is around 60C.

Last edited by bioforger; 21 February 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:19 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve depends for what you are looking,but those H80 are little louder on full and some people don't have good result with these coolers,if you are looking for good CPU cooler which will be excellent in overclocking have look for Noctua NH-D14,its huge be aware,but probably best CPU cooler which i've tried and own

Jura
Old 21 February 2012, 10:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bioforger
Why not just run a beefier air cooler, like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 £15, which I have on mine, which is oc'd to 4.6ghz without issue. Idle temps are fine 40-45C, max load is around 60C.
That's great CPU cooler too,tried on mine i7-920@4.4ghz

Jura
Old 22 February 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
How good are these systems as I'm wanting to overclock my i5 cpu and the stock cooler just causes issues. I noticed the corsair h80 hydro cooler for £70 which isn't much more than some of the better air coolers,

I was just going to use the Asus software to overclock and on extreme settings it over clocks instantly to about 4.3ghz so would the h80 system be good for this.

Hi,
It depends what your going to be doing with it.
Most applications on a PC, gaming included will not get the processor particularly hot, but it all depends largely on the case's internal ambients of course.

My i7 2600K at standard clock (3.5gig) settings never really exceeded 70C on air which in reality, is fine, but meant my planned overclocking may present a problem.

I eventually opted for the H80 myself and love it. £ for £ you cant really get better, but the fans are indeed quite noisy at full load, so if that bothers you, budget another £20 down the line for a pair of Scythe 1850rpm AP15s to upgrade the fans and it is virtually silent.

The heat you generate when overclocking is related to the voltage you need to use to keep her stable, so we cant guess at it as every chip is different, but 4.5ghz using asus auto settings is usually damned hot under a burn test as it goes OTT on voltage for ease of end user use and it can be done much more efficiently with trial and error through the BIOS.
I would expect to be using about 1.38v at that speed and thats going to see an air cooler struggling, especially if the ambients are ehigh.

If you want to test the thermal capabilities of your system properly, download these two free programs and see how you get on.

Intel burn test 2.53
&
Real temp 3.70

If the temps are safe running IBT on high or very high for 10 runs, they will be safe running anything. End of.

Mine runs 5.25ghz at the moment and is tested stable with temps never exceeding 80C over a 12hr Prime 95 custom run using the full 16GB of memory. It also has 2x HD7970's overclocked in there which keeps the internal temperatures right up as those baby's IDLE at over 50C. Under load they hit late 80s easily. They will be under water soon too.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 22 February 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 22 February 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Steve depends for what you are looking,but those H80 are little louder on full and some people don't have good result with these coolers
Its very often just a lack of common sense.
The instructions tell you to set it up so the fans draw air in from outside as its supposed to be cooler. valid point, however...The amount of people I have seen who do that with a pair of Xfired or SLI'd GPU's exhausting 80C air out the back of for the case for the CPU coolerfans to draw back in and then moaning the water cooling isnt as good as expected just makes me smile. LOL