Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help with new iphone 4s

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2012, 10:58 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new iphone 4s

Right, I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to these new phones - I've currently got a nokia, nothing fancy, no internet or anything like that on it - just ordered an iphone 4s from phones4u online. The phones not here yet, but just wanted to know if I could save all my contacts to my sim on my old phone, then put the sim card in the iphone and transfer to phone, then put the new sim in and transfer the phone numbers back on to the new sim?? Both phones are on Vodfone, my old phone is pay as you go, the iphone is on contract - any help would be appreciated, as the last thing I want to do is putting them all in manually!!!
Old 30 January 2012, 11:03 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I dont think you can.

You need to try and save your contacts from your nokia onto your pc address book, you can then upload them to the iPhone.
Old 30 January 2012, 11:07 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I've got a quick iphone question as well, so I'll hijack this thread

When I put my 4s on silent I get no indication at all that it is on silent. However, on my wife's 4s she has a little bell on the top part of her display to let her know the phone is in silent mode. I've had mines sitting in silent mode for ages without realising it because there is nothing to indicate it is in this mode.

Is there a setting for this?
Old 30 January 2012, 11:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes you can do it without a computer; You can transfer phone book data via the SIM: but only basic contacts and phone numbers. so additional data like addresses, email, contact picture etc won't transfer.

BUT, you need to adapt the new micro sim to allow it to fit into the old phone.

Firstly you need to know where all your phones numbers are held...on the old sim or inside the old phone's actual memory. Usually they are in the phone memory. If not copy it there (be careful here as you can easily erase your phone book or get loads of double entries by doing this).

To get the new Sim to fit the old phone, you can use the cut-out card that came with the new sim card (as long as you didn't wreck it getting the sim card out), but you have to be carefull not to break it (cut it out with a new stanley blade). If the micro sim won't stay inplace just use a bit of tape (don't cover the gold contacts though ).

If you haven't got the full size card (you should keep it, as the codes on the large card can be used to generate unlock codes if you forget your pin number) or have broken it, you can buy an adapter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-DESIGN-C...7921979&sr=8-1

Then all you do is Copy all contacts from the old phone's memory to the new sim. Then in iPhone copy contacts from the sim...The option do this is hidden in the settings somewhere...along with everything else important

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 January 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 30 January 2012, 11:33 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

o.k. cheers ali - I think I'll buy the apdater - looks a safer option.!! I maybe posting up again tomorrow asking where this hidden setting is
Old 30 January 2012, 11:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

>>> Geek related
Old 30 January 2012, 01:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

No little bell on mine.
Old 30 January 2012, 01:26 PM
CREWJ