Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can anyone help me with a VPN connection?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2011, 06:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Can anyone help me with a VPN connection?

Actually, I do need a bit of help with the VPN connection.

Our router in work has dial in/dial out. My router at home only has dial out.

I can connect to the work PC from home using a PPTP connection, tried IPsec but can't seem to make it work. I can't connect to my home PC from work - is that right?

Also, if I'm at work now and my home PC is on and before I left I made the VPN connection to work, should I not be able to "see" my home PC here in work?

Is it that the VPN can only be started in one direction and can only "see" those PCs in one direction?

I thought I would be able to at least "see" my home PC - I'm trying to access the NAS box at home from work.

Even with my home PC connected to the work PC via the VPN, should I not at least be able to Ping my home PC - it has a static IP and when I try to ping it it fails?

Last edited by EddScott; 25 October 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 25 October 2011, 02:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

BTT
Old 25 October 2011, 04:41 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to see your home PC but remember that it might not have the same IP address as you use at home. It might be being assigned an address from a VPN pool.

Is your home PC doing the VPN connection or your router. If it's your PC then I would connect to work via VPN, then do an ipconfig and check what IP addresses your PC has assigned. You will hopefully see your internal IP address (something like 192.168.0.2) and then another address assigned to the VPN adapter.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:29 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

The home PC is making the connection to the LAN here. I would prefer if it was initiated by the router so the PC at home doesn't have to be on all the time - unless I can get the NAS box to initiate it.

I actually think its more fundamental than that. Some pure basic setup issue. Followed the guides available for draytek routers but I still can't see the home PC or NAS in work.
Old 25 October 2011, 06:37 PM
chris84
Scooby Regular

If you vpn into work your home pc is allocated an ip from within your work network. You will be able to see your works network from your home pc. You won't be able to see the home pc from works network unless you log into vpn terminating device, usually a firewall.

While you're on your vpn with the home pc you probably wont be able to see other devices on your home network from the home pc. This is because your ip is different and all traffic auto routes through the vpn.

Best way would be to setup an ssh tunnel between your work computer and home network. Very simple plus it makes all your web browsing secure and off the radar.
Old 25 October 2011, 09:04 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

When you say "see" the NAS box what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Do you want to be able to transfer things to it/off it or just view content on it?
Old 26 October 2011, 11:41 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

What I'd like is to be able to map a folder on the NAS as a network drive. The NAS being at home and the mapped drive in the office.

I've managed to get an IPSec VPN running between the two sites and can access the NAS box web based services. I can also search for computers in the office and put in the NAS IP address and it is found - I can now map a folder as a network drive.

The trouble I am having now is that I think because the NAS box is taking too long (or the connection isn't fast enough) then when I access My Network Places and click on the workgroup after about 20 seconds XP says the network cannot be accessed (when infact it can) So not sure how to resolve this issue.

What I'm trying to achieve is to have the NAS box work as cloud (have set up a NASCloud account) from which local offices can obtain the company forms etc. The local offices will also have NAS boxes which will back themselves up to the NAS box in the head office.

Pretty much there apart from this slowness - my home internet connection is fairly cr8p which probably doesn't help.