Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Arrrgh! Bloody Iphone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2011, 08:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Arrrgh! Bloody Iphone!!!

I'm really getting pee'd off with my iphone 4, no matter how nice the apps are (hey you can't beat infinity blade ) it really sucks as a phone

There I was yesterday trying to sort a problem out, went down stairs to the main equipment room, 3g drops out and I get "no service"
Switch phone to airplane mode and back again, gets "no service", manually switches phone to 2g, full signal... what a pile of poo!

I really am amazed that Apple have not fixed this issue yet, it really is pushing me to change my works phone to a HTC though I may be tempted to go iphone 5 on my contract to see what its like, I can always sell it if I dont like it

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 09:18 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

snap!

mine is 3 days old, yesterday i could not talk to people, i could hear them but they couldnt hear me!! joke!

your not on o2 are you?
Old 17 September 2011, 10:10 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are issues with it - mine's now out of contract and I'm waiting to see what October brings from all the big players.
Have the same type of issues on O2. At work, we actually have an O2 cell mast on the roof (so you would assume pretty good coverage!! oh, the irony)

I don't think I'll be replacing it with iPhone 4s/5 though. I like the apps but over the last 2 years, I've grown out of them.

The phone aspect is a bone of contention - kind of like marmite (love or hate!).

I will probably get an ipod touch just to have the apps, but then get an alternative phone.

To use the old hi-fi adage - there's a reason why seperates are better than compact systems
Old 17 September 2011, 10:26 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I may be tempted to go iphone 5 on my contract to see what its like, I can always sell it if I dont like it

Tony

The good resale values the iphone used to command have dropped since it went to all networks, buying the newer phone when it comes out will see a loss when you sell it as compared to a couple of years ago when you could guarantee your money back.

I sold my iphone and bought an ipod and got the samsung galaxy s11

Last edited by stevebt; 17 September 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 17 September 2011, 10:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
snap!

mine is 3 days old, yesterday i could not talk to people, i could hear them but they couldnt hear me!! joke!

your not on o2 are you?

Mine is phone software, yours im not sure about, depends if you were on 2 or 3g, though if you are on O2, pm me off line with your number and time you had the call and I will see if I can see what the problem was
Oh and give me a post code area too, just like M25 etc, I can look for related cases that way

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 17 September 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 17 September 2011, 11:20 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not had any problems in over 2yrs with this.... I'm on Vodafone however.
Old 17 September 2011, 11:24 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

They all suffer the same problem Shaun, its the OS thats at fault, mine was as good as gold today, it may have been because I updated the phone yesterday (though no software update), but if you are in a nice 3g area you dont notice it as the iphone goes 3g all the time when it finds a signal, its when its forced to change from 3g to 2g that it goes pair shaped

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 11:50 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Trust me Tony... I don't get the problem.

At work we have a terrible reception area and it flits between 3g, 2g and E (doesn't matter what phone you use). However it always has a signal.... I have only ever had "No Service" a handful of times in 2yrs (which I don't call a "problem" for me).

If it was a problem (and I need my phone working all the time) I would of chopped it in by now.

I'm not saying what you have experienced is not happening, but I don't experience it with the iPhone.
Old 17 September 2011, 12:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I had this problem in the US, no problem anywhere else in the world. I blame the network. iPhone 3GS unlocked, fully up to date and no Jailbreak.
Old 17 September 2011, 01:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Not a network issue, the phone selects the network and decides which signal is strongest, it chooses when to change between 2/3G, not the other way round, just annoying that it decides to go no service when there is but it cant be bothered switching to 2g must be below it

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 02:07 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i have had this problem and voda told me that the iphone does not switch between automatically like all the other phones

i just leave mine on 2g and switch it when i need to use 3g

my issue is not with the phone it is the network around my area

can't wait to ditch voda been with them for 10 years or so but the coverage is shocking to say the least nowdays, too much greed with too many connections.
Old 17 September 2011, 02:14 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Vodafone is a shocking network with any phone totally hopeless
Old 17 September 2011, 02:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Not a network issue, the phone selects the network and decides which signal is strongest, it chooses when to change between 2/3G, not the other way round, just annoying that it decides to go no service when there is but it cant be bothered switching to 2g must be below it

Tony
I switch between 2g and 3g all day long, no problem. Must be your network. Our phones are identical, can't be anything else.
Old 17 September 2011, 02:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by JackClark
I switch between 2g and 3g all day long, no problem. Must be your network. Our phones are identical, can't be anything else.
The network does not switch between phones just use a bit of common sense and think about it
Its the phone that picks the best signal and switches between 2 and 3G, as you see other people on different networks suffer the same issue, its a software bug and its really annoying

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 02:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Ok this is how your handset thinks in basic terms
It speaks with on average 3 nearest cell sites, it "picks" one which has the best signal, if you walk away from that cell towards another cell, be it 2g/E or 3g, it will still be on the first cell but interrogating the other cells in the area to see what the best signal is.
If the handset (phone) decides its getting a better signal from another cell, it will request to "hand over" to that cell, it will do this without you knowing, you may see the phone change between 2g/E or 3g, it will still interrogate the nearest cells and carries on like that.
It also does alot more like location updates and you will get hand overs when talking and walking/driving, you just dont notice it unless you end up on a cell thats at its maximum, then your call gets dropped if it cannot get a better signal from anywhere else

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 03:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Mine hands over all day long, and back again so do millions of others. Are all Cell sites using exactly the same hardware and software?
Old 17 September 2011, 03:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Its the phone software, the cells quite happily move the connection around but it doesnt drop one cell until its ready to, at that final point it changes the path in a few milli sconds, but its not the cell that request the handovers, its the handset, the network just keeps the connectivity, the handset decides on the best signal and switches, so if it does not switch when there is no signal you get no service, if it does not switch when there is a signal available then thats the handset not requesting to be handed over, thats a handset issue (software).

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 03:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Since orange merged, my I-phone can't decide which network to use and simply gives up. Hopeless....

Going to have to switch.

Shaun
Old 17 September 2011, 03:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Since orange merged, my I-phone can't decide which network to use and simply gives up. Hopeless....

Going to have to switch.

Shaun
Try O2, works a treat unless you live near Tony or f1_fan.

I blame a mixture of cells, it's the only possible answer. If anyone knows what towers are running what hardware and software I'd be interested.
Old 17 September 2011, 04:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Jack, it has nothing to do with the cells the handset requests handovers, the handset decides what the best signal is, its the handset that is the issue.

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 04:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Try O2, works a treat unless you live near Tony or f1_fan.

I blame a mixture of cells, it's the only possible answer. If anyone knows what towers are running what hardware and software I'd be interested.
The funny thing is that Tony and I do actually live near each other

The 3GS had this problem for me over and over so much so I got rid of it. The iPhone 4 does not share the issue as far as my tests go.
Old 17 September 2011, 04:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by f1_fan
The funny thing is that Tony and I do actually live near each other
This is true but as its virtually impossible to get 3G where I live my iphones are on 2G virtually 99% of the time or they may switch to Edge on the odd occasion, at work (a little further south than up north ) there is much more 3G so the problem is more noticable

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 05:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Your network needs and upgrade. Simple. Tony, you're the man to make it happen.
Old 17 September 2011, 05:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -shane-
Vodafone is a shocking network with any phone totally hopeless
never had a problem with them in Ireland both North and South.
Old 17 September 2011, 05:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Your network needs and upgrade. Simple. Tony, you're the man to make it happen.
Yes all the networks need to upgrade for 1 phone

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 05:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
i have had this problem and voda told me that the iphone does not switch between automatically like all the other phones
What did they tell you it won't switch between automatically, cellular network types (or whatever they are actually called), e.g.; GRPS, E/2G, and 3G? If so I think the voda chap is talking tosh.

I've seen my phone go from 3G, down to E, then down one more, which I think is GPRS (some circle icon), and then happily go back up through those. I did not have to do anything to get it to do that. I have also turned of 3G and let it use E and again it's dropped down and up when it needed to.

It would be very, very foolish of Apple to have hardware in the iPhone that could not switch between the various network types out there automatically.
Old 17 September 2011, 05:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Markus, its a software bug and Apple do know about it and have even tried to patch it (didnt work), I just hope they do fix it for the iphone 5, it just gets confused and doesnt switch even though there are stronger signals, it basically goes straight to 3G so sort of prioritises itself by the looks, real PITA

Tony
Old 17 September 2011, 05:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Hands up if your phone isn't like Tonys. Get ready for the Mexican wave.
Old 17 September 2011, 05:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Markus, its a software bug and Apple do know about it and have even tried to patch it (didnt work), I just hope they do fix it for the iphone 5, it just gets confused and doesnt switch even though there are stronger signals, it basically goes straight to 3G so sort of prioritises itself by the looks, real PITA

Tony
Always been there or did it pop up with a specific iOS version? Perhaps iOS 5 might fix it, and iPhone 4S / 5 will no doubt ship with iOS 5 preinstalled.
Old 17 September 2011, 06:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Been there since day 1 of the 3G phones
There was a patch for "some" (it means all) cellular networks, but it didnt work
iOS 5 hopefully should (fingers crossed) fix this problem, but I shall wait and see....

Tony

Quick Reply: Arrrgh! Bloody Iphone!!!