Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 BROKE AFTER 3 YEARS OF OWNING IT

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2011, 07:34 PM
SCOOBYOLS46
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 BROKE AFTER 3 YEARS OF OWNING IT

aS the title says i have the yellow light of death does anyone know how to fix this as i dont want to pay a bomb on fixing it ! Also my next problem is i still have gran turismo 5 left in the ps3 and when i go to eject the disc it wont even boot up it just switches of and beeps showing the yellow light cant even get the gaME out

help needed

has anyone else had this problem ?

Cheers
oLLIE
Old 05 September 2011, 08:09 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i had it aswell cost me £50 had to send it away got it back in 3 days dont know how you will get the game out apart from takin the ps3 to bits
Old 05 September 2011, 08:27 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A few things to try.

Well i experienced a ps3 dying and i think like most people the disc was already inside (by ps3 dying while playing a game or you just leave discs in the ps3)

So while you wait for the coffin (box) sent by sony you can spend the time to get the ps3 out. Here are some ways: (try this in corresponding order)

Also when you do all this make sure the ps3 is in standby mode (solid red) NOT flashing red. You can move from flashing red to solid red by pusshing power button once or hold like 1 sec. If you accidently turn on it will just shut off again and just try again.

-hold the eject button till disc comes out. This will force eject the disc. If you hold the eject button for like 15 seconds i'd say then try again (cuz maybe you didn't press it right) If doesn't come out again after 15 seconds then try the next option.

-try the switch trick on the back of the ps3 by turning off then off then off and on so on i would say like 10 times then turn on the ps3. This will cause the ps3 to turn on and STAY on (somehow) enough for you to eject your disc out. But don't lazy it up cuz that ps3 might shut down eventually probably about 10 seconds. If this doesn't work try next option.

-unplug the cable connecting to tv(av cable, hdmi cable, etc...) from the ps3. For SOME REASON DON"T ASK ME it just makes the ps3 stay on and when i tried it i was like YES YES and was cheeing like a fat kid in a candy store tilled it shutted off again. Well the point is that the ps3 stays on for a while and you have that extra time to eject the disc. Keep pressing eject once you see it goes on till the disc comes out unless it shutted down INSTANTLY otherwise try the next option

-turn off ps3 completely and then unplug power cable from outlet and leave it alone for like a day. Plug it back in and turn it on and then try to eject. Ps3 might stay on ENOUGH for you to EJECT the disc. If shut down instantly then try next option

-Be sure the ps3 wasn't on at least for 5 hours before you do this. Even after 10 seconds of being on leave off for 5 hours before you do this. Now this will take some muscle. Basically you have to remove the harddrive. Make sure ps3 is completly off. Remove harddrive then turn on ps3 and eject disc. then you can put harddrive back in after ps3 is OFF of course. Make sure ps3 is off when you remove and insert harddrive back. I will not be responsible for any burns due to lack of LISTENING.

For those who don't know how to remove a harddrive this is how. Get a screwdriver (phillips/crosshead) and then pry open the harddrive covering. There will be a blue screw at the middle of the ps3. Remove that. The other 2 screws that are smaller than the blue one doesn't need to be unscrewed. Basically remember this.

Big blue screw = screw to screw harddrive to ps3

tiny screw = screw to screw harddrive to casing in place

After removing the blue screw there should be a little piece of metal that acts as a handle. Use that to slide the hardrive to the RIGHT or opening and then PULL out of ps3 then proceed to turning on ps3 and getting disc out.

Now if this doesn't work then i guess it is stuck there. Just call sony and ask about it and they can either get the disc out or if they can't they might send you another copy. Also I HAVE TRIED ALL THESE OPTIONS and before you insert another disc into ps3 make sure it can stay on for at least 30 minutes. I remember trying one option and ps3 stayed on past the 30 second mark and as soon as i insert a game it shutted down at the menu screen of game. Also i have tried all the option above and they have succeded in letting the ps3 stay alive for a bit before the inevitable Yellow Light Of Death. Another thing to note is once i tried the option it doesn't work again. Anyway good luck
Old 05 September 2011, 08:31 PM
Captain-Sticky
Scooby Regular

Fooked, take to bits and sell for spares. Good deals on 160GB's atm.
Id be lost without my COD fix
Old 05 September 2011, 08:38 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Bin it and buy a new one
Old 06 September 2011, 10:02 AM
SCOOBYOLS46
Scooby Regular

As my ps3 is still the oldsversion 40gb(500gb hardrive in it though) model im just going to strip and sell the bits on ebay .. i tryed the above bits on trying to get the game out and theres still no success ... so when i have got the bluray dvd drive out im going to try and take it apart getting my game back ...

then il buy myself a brand new slimline ps3 anyone know any good deals that are going on at the moment ? dont mind what gb model it is as i just put a 500gb hardrive in it