Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Blacberry Bold 9900 v Samsung Galaxy S2 v iPhone5

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2011, 12:44 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacberry Bold 9900 v Samsung Galaxy S2 v iPhone5

Due an upgrade of my BB Bold 9700 on 4 September. I love my Blackberry Bold but dabbled with an Android (HTC Desire). The Android is a super phone but i find myself going back to the BB as a main everyday use phone. I find i like the physical keyboard on the BB. So the Android doesnt really get used much.

I like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it is getting rave reviews. Another Android phone though. The BB 9900 has the new OS on it but the Samsung is just a better spec'd phone. I am still unsure about the new iPhone 5 which is due next month alledgedly.

Anyhoo, i would welcome anyones experience with either the BB9900 or the Samsung.

Done to death i know. i will maybe get into the Vodafone shop at the weekend and actually hold both phones. Is the Samsung actually that big? As big as Desire HD say?
Old 25 August 2011, 01:09 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Desire Z might be an option. Same Desire but with a physical keyboard.
Old 25 August 2011, 03:25 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

If you want a physical key board then surely the s2 and iPhone are irrelevant? Having said that I.went from a blackberry to a desire hd and would say you soon get used to touch screen key pads. I would go for the s2 personally. People I work with seem impressed
Old 25 August 2011, 03:54 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

What do we know about the iphone 5?
Old 25 August 2011, 04:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
What do we know about the iphone 5?
It'll be awesome.
Old 25 August 2011, 07:44 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Ahhhhh Jack you make me smile...................baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you big sheep
Old 25 August 2011, 07:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Ahhhhh Jack you make me smile...................baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you big sheep
Deep down you know I'm right. I was right about the iPhone, right about the iPhone 3G , right about the 3GS and the 4, odds are I'll be right about the 5.

And I consider myself the Shepherd rather than the Sheep.
Old 25 August 2011, 07:57 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Jack , people with God complexes usually find themselves sectioned pretty sharpish. why do I feel we won't be that lucky.
Old 25 August 2011, 09:33 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think it will be a new iphone out next month? I have the Galaxy s 2 and its a cracking phone, I have lost count on the amount of times I have thought I have lost the phone as when its in your pocket you can't really tell.

If email is important to you I don't think any android phone is of any use and the s2 is the worst phone I have used for email. In fact I have deleted my email account from my phone as it downloads all my emails so I can't even see them on my computer and they NEVER display on the phone. Its a great phone but its the worst phone I have owned for email.
Old 25 August 2011, 09:43 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I don't think it will be a new iphone out next month? I have the Galaxy s 2 and its a cracking phone, I have lost count on the amount of times I have thought I have lost the phone as when its in your pocket you can't really tell.

If email is important to you I don't think any android phone is of any use and the s2 is the worst phone I have used for email. In fact I have deleted my email account from my phone as it downloads all my emails so I can't even see them on my computer and they NEVER display on the phone. Its a great phone but its the worst phone I have owned for email.
what problem are you having with the email?

I have been with android since the start and the email just gets better and better...I have had the S2 about month and its excellent including the email ( i run about 10 email accounts all with individual signatures, all on push)
Old 25 August 2011, 09:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
what problem are you having with the email?

I have been with android since the start and the email just gets better and better...I have had the S2 about month and its excellent including the email ( i run about 10 email accounts all with individual signatures, all on push)

I had the first galaxy and now the s2 and IMO both are rubish as compared with say BB or iphone for email. Mine downloads all the emails and wipes they from the server but the emails only stay visisble on the phone for a few seconds then they are all gone for ever. I have tried to sort it loads of times but it still does it.
Old 25 August 2011, 09:55 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I had the first galaxy and now the s2 and IMO both are rubish as compared with say BB or iphone for email. Mine downloads all the emails and wipes they from the server but the emails only stay visisble on the phone for a few seconds then they are all gone for ever. I have tried to sort it loads of times but it still does it.
that will be your setup not the phone, (i have an ipad and the email is terrible its my main gripe with it)

are you using the gmail app / samsung email app or something else like K9? are you using pop or imap?
Old 25 August 2011, 10:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

scooby soon, can't be the setup as the phone does it all, I have tried to change it or look at editing my account but it doesn't work. My phone will down load every email then as soon as you look at the screen they are gone bar say two or three and none of then stay on the phone.

I have an email for say 3 seconds then bye bye.
Old 25 August 2011, 11:07 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

trust me its definitely the setup:

gmail app / samsung email app or something else like K9? are you using pop or imap?

the best way to do it is via gmail but I have used k9 with imap in the last without a hitch, samsung email (which i guess you are using) is probably causing you the problem.

I had a blackberry back when you had to order them from tmobile head office and they were good in there day but that was many days ago..
Old 26 August 2011, 12:10 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

sorry but i have a motorola Milestone on Android and the email is rubbish i do have a googlemail account but that is a real pain as it moves stuff from folder to folder with out me telling it to.

I have a simular problem on my POP email where it says it has emailed all the mail for today but it misses some so i am ringing people chasing mail that is infact sitting on the server, if i log on to the web portal through a PC there are the missing emails and the size has no effect it can be a 20KB or 1MB it just randonmly skips over aome then next day down loads them absolute rubbish cant wait until my contracts ends. My old SE P800 was a more realiable and worked better on everything except screen quality and facebook and i had that 5 years ago.

I am in the same boat i need a new phone, want a proper key board (the reason i got a Milestone) as i dont get on with touch screens for typing emails but i already have a BB for work and i dont think it would be any use as a personal phone, if they did an Iphone with a slide keyboard then i would give that a try, maybe i should dust off my old SE P990i and see what that is like
Old 26 August 2011, 12:14 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

blackberries are ****, so that's one down.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:16 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
if they did an Iphone with a slide keyboard then i would give that a try,
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/boxwave-k...e-4-p27732.htm

OR

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/keytech-k...mpaign=criteo1

Last edited by riiidaa; 26 August 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:19 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

no folders on gmail only labels, the cause of your problems will be the POP and wrong settings
Old 26 August 2011, 07:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Try to borrow an iPhone, the keyboard has a learning feature that expands the key your most likely to press next so it's great even for sausage fingers. Android users tend to install some funky keyboard replacement as it's difficult to type on.

You should consider moving from POP if at all possible, that will be the root of your problem.
Old 26 August 2011, 10:41 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I use email on my HTC android and have no issues at all with email, and they stay on the server as well as on the phone. It's either a S2 issue or a handset setup issue, its not an android issue
Old 26 August 2011, 11:40 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Try to borrow an iPhone, the keyboard has a learning feature that expands the key your most likely to press next so it's great even for sausage fingers. Android users tend to install some funky keyboard replacement as it's difficult to type on.

You should consider moving from POP if at all possible, that will be the root of your problem.

using swype keyboard here it comes as standard on the S2, i can write amazingly quickly i believe a lot of people are trying to install it on the iphone 4 but you may have to jail break it.... (i think)
Old 26 August 2011, 12:48 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

well had a look at the BB9900. impressed with that screen. the samsung is really nice as well and that screen real estate is something else. the bold keyboard is magnificent. the new OS is really nice. the icons seem to be almost 3d on that screen. the black on white text in messages is flawless, i couldnt fault it. but i just can get past that nagging feeling that Blackberry could have done better. nothing really new here.

could only really check the ergonomics of the samsung as it wasnt up and running like the blackberry. what surprised me was how light it was. super thin except at the bottom edge where it gets a bit thicker for some reason. maybe a trip to belfast to some of the bigger phone shops to see it working in the flesh.
Old 26 August 2011, 02:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

using swype keyboard here it comes as standard on the S2, i can write amazingly quickly i believe a lot of people are trying to install it on the iphone 4 but you may have to jail break it.... (i think)
As I said. Keyboard is no where near as good as iPhone. Good effort but no cigar.
Old 26 August 2011, 03:58 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I've used the keyboard on both the iPhone and the Androids and find the Android quicker to use at speed.
Old 26 August 2011, 04:21 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
I've used the keyboard on both the iPhone and the Androids and find the Android quicker to use at speed.
+1

NOt bashing iPhone, as my feelings on this are well-documented on this and other forums. But the keyboard doesn't suit all people. Certainly not speed typers.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 26 August 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 26 August 2011, 05:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by IWatkins
There's always an exception to the rule.
Old 27 August 2011, 04:25 AM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I've got a blackberry for work and I HATE it, it's pants!

My last two phones have been htc, last one being the desire. I loved it, until 6 months ago when the batt was getting rubbish.

I finally give in and become an iPhone drone about 2 weeks ago and I have to say I love it. It's just so slick easy to use. I'm not a computer geek and I will never use it to it's full use. I find that the battery lasts a lot longer than my htc and the Internet seems a lot fast even when I am not on wifi. They key board takes some getting used to but it was the same when I got my htc!
I would recommend the iPhone now I have got one but the htc a very close second!

I asked around about the iPhone 5 everyone I've spoke to said next year and that is some people in the trade
Old 27 August 2011, 08:26 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

trust me its definitely the setup:

I tried installing the email again and I noticed I never ticked "premium account" and it seems to have worked ok. Emails are staying on my phone and they aren't being deleted from the server
Old 27 August 2011, 09:14 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

i Also can't stand blackberry's awful to use, and feel cheap, Get an Iphone 4 as there won't be a new Iphone until next year, Apple are concentrating on software this year and soon will be

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios5/
Old 28 August 2011, 01:00 AM
New_scooby_04

S2 is where it's at currently. No question; it trumps the Iphone in pretty much every respect. Check out the summary table below.

http://tech.devilmustcry.com/samsung...rice-in-india/

Of course, the Apple evangalists will always say the Iphone is better, but that simply does not reflect the specifications of the two devices, clearly outlined in the above table.

The important thing, however, is what you make of both phones as a user. Have a go of both and make up your own mind!

Quick Reply: Blacberry Bold 9900 v Samsung Galaxy S2 v iPhone5