Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Attention web development gurus???

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2011, 09:28 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Attention web development gurus???

Complete long shot but I'm struggling with something at work that is really beginning to p*ss me off.

I'm fairly proficient at web / database development but I'm trying to do something that I've never done before.

Basically I'm writing a web app for an Intranet that I'm developing where an element of it will allow a user to upload files for storage into a field on an SQL database table.

Try as I might I can't get it to happen.
The database is all set up and the closest i've got is every time a completed form is submitted a new record in the database is created but every field in that record is null.

I'm using IIS7, SQL Server 2005 and asp.vbscript via Dreamweaver.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Cheers

Daz

Ps I know its random for a car forum but i know many of you work it IT so I thought it was worth a shot.
Old 16 August 2011, 09:37 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't is as simple as the data you are trying to parse into the db is too long for the column(s) you have setup, hence creating nulls?
Old 17 August 2011, 10:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Couldnt reply last night as SN was down.

If only it was that simple.

The field on the SQL database is set to image type, I've also tried varbinary(max).

I've had varying degrees of success today after I built a dedicated 2k3 server to do the job. I know my way around iis 6 alot more than I do with iis7 and all the .net rubbish.

I've managed to get the correct data to the sql database (including the file itself written ino the database). As well as writing the binary file data to the database it also stores a copy of the file in an uploads folder. So that will be fairly handy for some reliability.

Now all I have to do is list the records in the database and then give the user the ability to click on the record and view the file.

Getting there slowly
Old 18 August 2011, 01:22 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blob's

I remember having a go at this a long time ago. 9 years I think! HR used it to upload job specs to the intranet. The intranet sql data was then replicated to the internet facing servers to appear/be searchable on the website between specified dates.

I think we stored, apart from the blob column, filename, mime format, creation date, modification date and the size of the file. Might be just as quick to calculate the size on the fly?

If I knew where my code was, I would have pasted here for reference..

I rarely code anymore, just the occasional script to make my life easier