Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

My xbox live account got hacked!! Has anyone else had this done to them?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2011, 11:12 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My xbox live account got hacked!! Has anyone else had this done to them?

Some little ****** managed to hack into my account, change the associated ID and E-mail and has spent £600 in about 5 days!!!!!

Xbox are now are aware and have referred it to the fraud team and the guy seemed to indicated that my credit card will be refunded (it'd better be cause I aint paying!)

How did this happen. No one knows my passsword, the xbox is on a secure network, I don't share my password or account with anyone. My PC is running an all bells all whistles security system. I don't think I could take any more precautions!!

Anyway, keep your eyes on your credit card bills if using Xbox live folks, especially if, like me, you don't use it that often!

Ns04
Old 14 August 2011, 11:22 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Similar happened to me 6mnths ago ... lesson learnt, don't leave your c/card details with m/soft

You'll get nothing back from m/soft (no evidence of fraudulent activity found ) & I only recovered it from the card co as I kicked up a fuss.

On my account they created an annual gold membership (£60) then bought 5000 m/soft points (£60) & transferred them all to 4 other non related accounts which you can do with the annual membership apparently. Cancelled my card immediately to stop further transactions. Like you though I have no idea how they hacked the account

TX.
Old 14 August 2011, 02:45 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

There is nothing you could of done, the hack wasn't your end.

Don't wait for MS to refund you, phone your CC company and dispute the transaction because as you are a victim of fraud and did not authorise the purchase, you need to start a claim to do a Chargeback on the card.
Old 14 August 2011, 04:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dedrater
There is nothing you could of done, the hack wasn't your end.

Don't wait for MS to refund you, phone your CC company and dispute the transaction because as you are a victim of fraud and did not authorise the purchase, you need to start a claim to do a Chargeback on the card.
Been in touch with the card company for advice mate (didn't know whether to cancel the card or not). They said, give the Microsoft team a chance to investigate (to be fair he was very helpful) and if they refuse to refund the money, then open a dispute via the bank.

I aint paying it whatever happens (even if it was £60, let alone 600!!!). If Microsoft want my Xbox for forensic examination to confirm that my serial number is not associated with any of the downloads they can have it!!
Old 16 August 2011, 11:23 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I don't use my console very much, this morning I opened it and got a message that I had to recover my id. Just for the fun of it ... I had a look at my purchase history and someone on the 21st June spend 800 microsoft points on themes and rubbish.

Phoned customer support and wow it took a long time they even denied that the message about recovering an ID is encountered if the ID has been used on another console. In the end I had to get annoyed, he went to his supervisor and came back with "Oh .. yes .. it does mean that, I will set up an investigation .. ".

So it appears someone accessed my account, only used the points that were there but didn't change the password or anything. Isn't that odd?

Steve
Old 16 August 2011, 12:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Lets be honest, its not that difficult.

a well known email address, and its password..

pretty easy for a pisher

Mart
Old 16 August 2011, 01:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

My password is .... very difficult. A combination of upper and lower case and numbers. It doesn't make a word and it isn't the same as my email address password.
Old 17 August 2011, 09:39 AM
New_scooby_04

I tkae as many precautions as I can against snoopers. My password doesn't appear on any social network sites, anit-spyware and fishing (sp?) software on the PC. Internet history deleted after every use etc... Even if one had a simple pasword of say a word with a captial and a number, I would have thought the permutations would be so vast that it just wouldn't be worth bothering to try.

I personally reckon someone has phoned up MS pretending to be me, saying I've lost my password etc and some ******** has not asked them security questions etc...

That would be a much simpler explanation!

Ns04