Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dead IPOD Classic

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2011, 12:26 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead IPOD Classic

Can't find anywhere else to ask for help so here goes...

I have an 80Gb IPOD classic and the hting died very suddenly. Only symptoms were excessive heat from the battery, not holding charge and then finally not charging. I assumed it was the battery so replaced it. Seemed to be okay, stuck it in my dock and fully charged the battery. Left it overnight out of the dock and the battery died and wouldn't charge. As there was again heat from the battery I assumed the dock may be at fault because it is a bit old and battered and tried another new battery but this time charged via the computer. Again all seemed well and it charged up a treat, but no heat issues this time. Went to check it this morning and it has completely discharged again. There is no obvious signs of component damage but apart from the hard drive I can only see one chip on the PCB.

Has anyone had a similar experience and is there any known fixes? I've tried google but had no joy, and clearly bought an IPOD touch to see me through

Cheers

Jon
Old 22 July 2011, 12:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is plugged into the machine does it power on at all, or will it just charge? My 4th Gen Clickwheel is being somewhat problematic. You could have a read here on how to pop it into diagnostic mode and see if it will actually get to that point.

If you have any warranty on it then you could pop along to an Apple Store, if there is one near you, and see if they can have a look.

Did you put in a higher powered battery when you replaced it? It could be that this upset things. I've had a couple of batteries on my 4th Gen classic and it did see warmer after putting a higher capacity battery in it.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even plugged in there's no life either with or without the battery so I can't even run a diagnostic. I did a full restore when I fitted the latest battery to try and start with a clean slate but to no effect. It is getting on for 4-years old and been all around the world with me so I can't complain about the use but if I could fix it my lad would love to have it.

In terms of heat, I would expect some, and more with a bigger battery as it is a chemical reaction, but this was too hot to touch when it gave up the ghost, but in this instance I fitted a direct replacement battery.

Might just sell it as a spares or repair on ebay, they seem to get £30 or so.