Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Some Macbook questions ...

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2011, 07:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a) Yes, I'd say about 20 - 25 GB for Snow Leopard sounds about right, Lion would probably be about the same, perhaps 30GB max.

b) Yes, Mac OS X does have TRIM. Pretty sure the latest SSD laptops had support for TRIM enabled, and it's certainly enabled for sure in 10.6.8, as that was one of the new features of 10.6.8

c) Cannot really answer as I don't have SSD. However, a co-worker has a Macbook Air and was complaining about filling up the SSD, upgrade kits are rather expensive at the moment. Note that he is a developer, so tends to have Xcode and numerous rather large (400 - 500 MB) project files on disk. Personally I'd go for the 256GB, better to have more for when you need it

d) Hmm, not sure. I've looked at my Mac in the MacTracker app and it states the following for processor:
Intel Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7 ("Clarkdale, Lynnfield") (it is an i7 2.93GHz) Not sure if you want more than that, guessing you do, something like i7-920? If so, not sure where to find that info

e) Depends what you are doing, if stuff that requires a hi res display then it make sense to get it. I guess I could say you would be future proofing yourself somewhat, but it also depends on the additional cost.

When it comes to cost, I would strongly suggest looking at the Apple Refurbished section of the online Apple Store. Take for example a Mid 2011 iMac i7, normal price is about $2100, Same model from the refurbished section is $1800, so you'd save $300, which isn't bad, and it is essentially a new mac. You could save more if you went for a slightly older model.
I would also suggest you wait until the end of next week as there are rumors of new / updated Mac laptops, so you could get a very good deal on what is this week a "new" model and what will be an "old" model next week!

If you have more questions, ask away
Old 23 July 2011, 12:38 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

To be fair to them they probably don't get asked a lot about binary compatabilty.

It's a bit like me asking a tv salesmen what's the best bit error ratio that freeview will handle.

But as for pc world that's just daft
Old 23 July 2011, 09:00 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

About 1.0 - E4 , you need to be about 1.0-E7 to get all the bitches
Old 23 July 2011, 08:02 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

the latest Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mini and imac use Sandybridge chipset models. And are very quick.

Anybody (Markus?) know if Quicktime can take advantage of the 'quicksync' ability in the chipset for super-quick H264 encoding?
Old 23 July 2011, 09:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've not seen any mention of QS being used by QT on the sandy bridge macs to help with encoding / transcoding. Pretty sure it wasn't in the press release info. They have been out only a few days so perhaps something might come up within a few weeks.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:00 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yup. Office 11 here. Have to admit I had the same issues with migration assistant when Wifey's macbookpro died. Although it worked fine on 2 iMacs.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:25 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yeh it worked using Firewire Target mode, but over the network..... which was weird. (despite all macs being "seen" in ARD beforehand....)

Still sorted now, but not what I've come to expect from Apple.
Old 04 August 2011, 12:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have had a couple of instances at work where migration assistant could not see the machines, be they wired (direct connection to each other) or wireless. Never really had the time to find out why. They could be seen and connect to each other before hand, so it should not be a connectivity issue.
Old 07 August 2011, 01:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Ho ho ho on the pop bit .... That's not the issue, it's how the info is presented to edit. So, are you saying that on the 'advanced' screen that the 'ssl' and 'port' refer to the incoming server? That's what I've 'inferred' from a couple of threads I've found, and your post, but it doesn't state that anywhere!!!!

That one is 'off', as ssl should be for the incoming server, but if you 'right click' (or use two fingers ... ) over 'Inbox' and look at 'account info' it says that ssl is on for both incoming and outgoing .... que?????

Who said computing was easy/obvious?

Dave
I think the get info window for the account might be telling porkies.

My understanding is that the option for SSL next to the "port" option on the "Advanced" screen is for incoming mail.
If you look at the list of outgoing mail servers, pick one, then hit the advanced option, the "Use Secure Socket Layer (SSL)" item is for outgoing connections as it's in the SMTP section, which unless I'm wrong is what would be used for sending email, thus outgoing.
Old 07 August 2011, 03:27 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I rest my case.
Old 07 August 2011, 03:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A warning has been issued regarding the replies to the OPs issues - please keep this on topic, and if someone has something helpful to add, it would be appreciated
Old 08 August 2011, 11:35 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

MA didn't work for me either after trying to get my files over from my Windows 7 - despite lots of tries (lots of forum posts on the net about it not working). Ended up just copying the files over via a USB drive plus O2M worked to covert my email, contacts and calander over - though I needed to use O2M on a small number of mail folders at a time otherwise it didn't process them all.

Also tried using Outlook for Mac for a while - but it's pretty average compared to Windows Outlook - so went back to Mail.

Couple Mail addon-ons that are a must for me:

1) http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer - this gets round the problems with attachments sent from Mail not appearing correctly for Windows Outlook recipients.

2) http://www.hungerfordroad.com/ - Mailhub - wonderful addon.

And for iCal:

1) http://flexibits.com/fantastical - delightful tool!

General:

1) http://www.alfredapp.com/

Cheers
Richard.

Last edited by Scotsman; 08 August 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08 August 2011, 06:30 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

gmail has added an outlook like format for all you people stuck in the past....

http://www.hindustantimes.com/New-Gm...e1-730148.aspx