Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

power supply + fan ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2011, 11:30 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power supply + fan ?

the fan in the power supply in my desktop pc just started making a noise can i just replace the fan or is it a new power supply ?if i can replace the fan what have i got to look for (serial number etc)or if it's the supply what have i got to look for ? all i know is it is a 400w one and i would like a silent one as the pc is in the living room,any pointers much appreciated thanks
Old 23 February 2011, 05:37 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could replace the fan (it will just be a standard sized one that you should be able to get from Maplin, PC World, Scan, OCUK, etc), but it will be quicker and easier to just replace the whole PSU.

The ones with the larger (120mm) fans are generally quieter than the smaller (80mm) fans. I've also found the branded PSUs to be quieter than the unbranded ones, but the down side is that you pay a bit more for them.
Old 23 February 2011, 08:23 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
You could replace the fan (it will just be a standard sized one that you should be able to get from Maplin, PC World, Scan, OCUK, etc), but it will be quicker and easier to just replace the whole PSU.

The ones with the larger (120mm) fans are generally quieter than the smaller (80mm) fans. I've also found the branded PSUs to be quieter than the unbranded ones, but the down side is that you pay a bit more for them.

thank you for the info i have already had the fan out to clean it, this looks exactly the same but it's a 300w one and there is a 400w one in the machine now have they all got the same connectors on them ?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/20083

Last edited by farmerwrx; 23 February 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 23 February 2011, 08:33 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

is this what i need ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80mm-8cm-Inter...item51974fa4f8
Old 24 February 2011, 08:48 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
thank you for the info i have already had the fan out to clean it, this looks exactly the same but it's a 300w one and there is a 400w one in the machine now have they all got the same connectors on them ?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/20083
By and large, yes they have the same connectors. The one to watch out for is probably the motherboard 20/24 pin connector. Most have a split connector, but if not, make sure the PSU has the right one for your board.

I wouldn't replace a 400W PSU with a 300W one though. TBH, I'd spend a bit more than that and get one that is more likely to be quieter.

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
Yes. The wires might need soldering in the PSU, or possibly have a smaller connector on than the Molex connectors that item's picture shows.