Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Blackberry Torch or iphone4 now... or wait till iphone5?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2011, 06:12 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blackberry Torch or iphone4 now... or wait till iphone5?

As above guys.

I have been on my Blackberry bold 9000 now for 18 months and i really get on well with it. I like everything it does and it does it all really well.

However i have been offered an upgrade today, and am only really tempted by the slick iphone 4. Although i havent seen or used a Blackberry Torch, im not a huge fan of sliding/flip phones.

I iphone is more expensive than teh Blackberry but then its build quality is far superior. However is it really worth it?

iphone 5 i am told is expected june/july this summer... should i just wait for that instead?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, frayz
Old 18 January 2011, 06:16 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its a upgrade some places only give you a time window to take up the upgrade so you might not be able to wait till the iphone5 is out but the iphone4 is fantastic
Old 18 January 2011, 06:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

http://www.htc.com/uk/
Old 18 January 2011, 07:07 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Go for the iPhone 4 ,ignore the poor android owners
Old 18 January 2011, 07:15 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Old 18 January 2011, 07:31 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If your after an iphone 4 just buy a used one to tide you over and get the iphone 5 when its out. That way your not tying yourself into a contract and I bet you would break even on the iphone when you come to sell it.
Old 18 January 2011, 07:50 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Not a bad idea Steve

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2011, 10:22 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'll be in the same boat in July - interesting time.

Got an iphone now. syncs well with my Macs etc, acts as an ipod in the car , blah blah.

But I've fallen out of "love" with it. I'm now resenting the little things that it doesn't do out of the box.
Petty stuff, that's now irritating - such as customizing of text alerts (you have a choice of 10 - all cr@p)
You can have individual ringtones that you put in yourself, but it's a bit of a drawn-out affair to do it. Why not JUST read mp3s as rigntones? Nowt wrong with the m4u format (or whatever it's called), but you've got to convert it all to work.
Bluetooth file transfer - there are apps etc, but it SHOULD do it in the OS as standard.

HOwever, as a seemless device that integrates into your life, it is fantastic. Apple have got it sussed. And it is totally ****-proof

but I want to be able to "fettle" with the settings more.

I'll be looking at the Torch as Wifey is getting one - she's not overly impressed by the iphone (but she's used to old Samsungs and her Android phone).
IF iphone 5 comes out during the Summer, I'll look at it, but I think I actually just want to move away from iOS for the time being (with all of my Macs etc, I think I'm a little bit over-exposed to Apple's ethos, and need to step back to get a fresh perspective! )

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 19 January 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 19 January 2011, 10:30 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

blackberry 9700 running OS6. great phone does everything i want. i also have a my drug dealer phone which is an HTC Desire. Just had this replaced due to random reboots. Apart from that the phone has been great and the Android OS is fabulous.
Old 19 January 2011, 11:07 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thats why i bought an ipad while waiting for a decent android tablet, there will always be a fanboi waiting in the wings to buy it for a good price.

I would be worried about the iphone 4, will it be seen as the "Impreza bug eye" of the phone world and will always be seen as not being quite right?
Old 19 January 2011, 12:07 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My iPhone 4 works fine
Old 19 January 2011, 12:14 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Mine too
Old 19 January 2011, 12:46 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

If you're prepared to wait until July time, then i would suggest waiting, as the wave of next-gen phones are imminent. The dual-core processor phones and such.

If you're used to a blackberry, an iphone/android phone will be quite a shock. Don't know and haven't heard much about the Torch to be honest.

The phones of now are the Mobile of the Year 2010 range (HTC Desire / HD / Z), Galaxy S and then the iPhone 4. Personally i'd wait a few months and in the meantime go and have a play with the BB Torch, iPhone 4 and Desire's to see if you like them.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 19 January 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:50 PM
Jekyl
Scooby Regular

I have recently been offered an upgrade from my Bold 9000 also which I am not taking for any of the handsets as like said the iphone 5 is due this summer along with the Dakota(bold9000 upgraded) Torch 2(upgraded processor etc) Apollo (curve) & storm 3. Tbh just wait if you can.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:54 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers for the input chaps... think im going to wait till the summer and see what happens.

The Blackberry does everything so well, if only it was made of glass and metal... job done
Old 19 January 2011, 09:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy who sits next to me does our phones for work and has a Torch for work and an Iphone for personal, go for the BB if you want corporate email as that is what it is good at, otherwise the Iphone is much nicer, even with Apples walled garden and ommissions.

The wife has the HTC Desire and it is lovely, the Desire HD even nicer.
Old 19 January 2011, 09:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

People are ignorant to what they have not experienced.... nothing bad about that, but it's a fact.

In all honesty the iPhone does everything well overall.... it also does most things that bit better than everything else out there.

Whether we like it or not the iPhone IS the one to beat and nothing at the moment has managed that.... I suspect it will in time, but that time is not now.

It's all about the iPhone and everything else is a wannabe unfortunately at the moment.

Old 19 January 2011, 09:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yeah Shaun.... BUT

iP4 or iP5?
Old 19 January 2011, 10:10 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

4 is better than a 3GS, but not enough IMO to go out and upgrade over a 3GS. However, I did that just before Xmas as I don't like looking a pauper when pulling my phone out! Lol

It will be the same when the 5 comes out. So get the best now and get the next best in July!!
Old 20 January 2011, 07:01 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

My wife is a long term blackberry user and adores them - but changed at Xmas for a Blackberry Torch. What a pile of rubbish - the interface and touchscreen is poor - so much so that she sent it back after 4 days and now has an iphone4 and adores it.
Old 20 January 2011, 10:50 AM
Jekyl
Scooby Regular

The torch is admittedely not to great a handest but from having a 3gs neither is that lol the galaxy s is however nice as is the ipod 4 (to look @). It's a matter of preference.
Old 20 January 2011, 01:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
It's all about the iPhone and everything else is a wannabe unfortunately at the moment.

Another narrow-minded Apple user.

http://awards.t3.com/the-categories/...ear/htc-desire
Old 20 January 2011, 02:20 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
it's his opinion like it or lump no need to call him narrow minded and find a post where a phone gets rated higher than the iPhone.

Makes you look desperate to prove a point
Old 20 January 2011, 03:45 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Blackberry are due to launch some more additions including an updated version of the 9700 Bold but with a touchscreen (basically a Torch without the sliding feature and everything in one place)

There are some leaked pic's somewhere and there are some dual-core phone out soon too
Old 20 January 2011, 06:14 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
it's his opinion like it or lump no need to call him narrow minded and find a post where a phone gets rated higher than the iPhone.

Makes you look desperate to prove a point
I suppose you're right. I wont make any more points about my "wannabe" phone, that was Mobile of the Year. Even without the awards, we all know the iPhone is the best mobile.
Old 20 January 2011, 06:18 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

There is no 'best' phone.

It's all down to the user, I won't force my opinion on people like some on here.

But I will say I've use RIM for a year and used android and personally I still think iOS is better.

Which I find funny as most members slate the iPhone but have never used one for a long time not just messing around with one in the shop.
Old 20 January 2011, 06:21 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Right now, HTC and Android own the mobile market.
Don't they just. It will a complete domination by the end of this year.
Old 20 January 2011, 06:37 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Don't they just. It will a complete domination by the end of this year.
I seriously doubt it , we shall see
Old 20 January 2011, 06:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

HTWHO? Easy come, easy go.

And which version of Android will dominate? Tricky question with so many manufacturers dropping support in favour of new models. iOS is a different market so Android only really has Win 7 and WebOS to worry about right now, although Nokia may get their **** in gear and do something.

Apple have already spanked RIM back to 2005 and it's getting worse.
Old 20 January 2011, 08:21 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
ROFLOL - You obviously don't know me very well then.

I HATED the iPhone and everything that it stood for.... that was until I bought a 3GS last March. I then realised I had be deluding myself since they were first released.

I spoke to Vodafone when I bought the 4 in December and asked them which was the most sought after phone. They replied that it is hand over fist iPhone.

Whether you like it or not, it is the market leader and has certainly resparked the phone industry. Whether it remains the leader is unknown, but it sure for **** will go down in mobile history, for being one of the phones that many will remember...... for good reasons.

Nokia used to be the Daddys (some years ago) and now the time has come for Apple to take that mantle.

Things evolve and currently Apple are at the top of the retail phone food chain. They won't be there forever, but they certainly are at the moment, whether you or I like it or not.

Quick Reply: Blackberry Torch or iphone4 now... or wait till iphone5?