Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OLD School game " ELITE " Question

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2011, 03:56 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OLD School game " ELITE " Question

Ok oldies if you played this youll remember it was epic, first real space trading game you started with ****ty lasers then eventually made it to the Military laser and other goodies, as you ploughed ya way through the game

OK question then

I got to what i thought was the end, if you remember when you entered hypper space you had a small chance of being hyjacked by the elite race called the Thargoids, who really took some hammer and more often you dies.

Well as you got near the end they actually appeared and attacked.

All i remember was that i could never do it,

Even going flat out in other direction and useing the Military rear gun they eventually got me.

Did any of you ever get here or past it and how.

Please help me solve one of lifes puzzles

Ted
Old 04 January 2011, 04:14 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think when you hyperspaced, you got caught in 'Witch-space'. That is where the Thargoids resided. You generally got your @rse handed to you. That wasn't the end of the game though, as long as you could hyper-space the hell back out of there.
Old 04 January 2011, 04:24 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah i understand that bit i allways died 2, but as i progressed the thargoids actually came for real and this is where i ended it, as i could never outrun them nor kill them, even when you thought ud got em all more warped in, so it was endless, and they alwasy caught me

gonna look for a walkthru :P
Old 05 January 2011, 09:48 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

So you can induce witch space by being on full climb on desent and you hit hyyperspace as the countdown hits 0. I used to find a good energy bomb would do the trick but you need to have enough fuel on board to jump again else you end up trapped and have to use the escape pod.
Old 05 January 2011, 10:27 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

If you can find it Newkind is worth tracking down. the whole game was reverse engineered into C
Old 05 January 2011, 10:38 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spent hours on the original, Docking Computer FTW

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2011, 10:43 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

http://www.oolite.org/

is worth a look
Old 05 January 2011, 10:49 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

no not yet
Old 05 January 2011, 11:54 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

oolite is pretty good. Not sure how much dev is happening on it now, but there was quite a bit a few years back when I started playing it. There are some great expansions out there, and of course additional ships.

It is easy to hack too, if you're into the cheating side of things, if only to get a docking computer.

I did actually create a couple of ships too, Large Borg Cube, Small Borg Cube, seriously powerful buggers, as you'd expect, and no, there isn't a "Sleep" command to send to them . They weren't exactly polished, but were nearly as annoying as the Thargoids when they turned up.

If you want a copy of "The Borg OXP" then here is a link to a zip file of it on dropbox. Expand it and whack it in your Add Ons folder and run oolite. I cannot guarantee it'll work with the latest (just about to try) and cannot remember if I made the borg ship player selectable, but I'm sure the OXP file can be modified to change this.

I think I might have a look at the latest version.

Last edited by Markus; 05 January 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:21 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

OMG, looks really good to me

Going to have a crack at this later
Old 05 January 2011, 11:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Schweet, shall save that for a slow afternoon
Old 06 January 2011, 12:06 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Have downloaded it and installed it on my 11.6" netbook and looks great. Need to find out how to hack it and get a docking computer although already managed to dock manually ok. Also will look into the expansion packs.

First impressions are it's very nice.
Save a game and open game save file. If it is like Mac version you can edit all kinds of things. Mine is a plist file format, essentially xml, so a text editor should open it. look for has_docking_computer and it's probably got a key value of false or 0 (zero) change it to true or 1 and save the file, then open the file and you should have it.

If you want, open oolite, then immediately save a game and send me over the game save file and I'll have a look at it and see if I can modify it for you.

Oh and if you have a mac (only say this as I don't know where in the PC executable it'd be), then open the oolite app (right click, select "Show Package Contents", drill down to: Contents -> Resources -> Config and look for the equipment.plist. Lots of interesting things in there, and the first integer on the list is the tech level (TL) that you can obtain those items at, so one could edit it to allow all items on tech level 0, which means any planet should have all of them, including our beloved Lave.

Last edited by Markus; 06 January 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06 January 2011, 01:37 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I *know* it's very childish to cheat at games, especially something like Oolite, but, well, I cannot help myself.

If you want a little bit of a leg up, grab my rather nice game save from here and run it. You're at Lave, still clean as a whistle, in fact, not even left the space station, and yet you have a rather impressive little Cobra, and a few credits. Enjoy!
Old 06 January 2011, 12:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You loaded up with cargo, or empty? Check to see if you have strict mode enabled in the gamplay options, if so, disable it and see if that makes any difference.

It could be the PC version is seeing the file has been edited and making it harder for you, unless one of the things you changed was your ranking or status, which could make people more likely to attack.
Old 06 January 2011, 03:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Oolite looks pretty good, Ill give it a go tonight. Once its downloaded, do you need any network availability?
Old 06 January 2011, 03:51 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

if its like the original game then the government type on the planet has an effect of the number of pirates. try and avoid feudal and anarchy
Old 06 January 2011, 05:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Oolite looks pretty good, Ill give it a go tonight. Once its downloaded, do you need any network availability?
Pretty sure no connetivity is required post download

Now network/Internet play would be seriously cool though
Old 07 January 2011, 11:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Pretty sure no connetivity is required post download

Now network/Internet play would be seriously cool though
Wouldnt it be great?! Thanks for recommending this, my evening has been full of trying to dock
Old 07 January 2011, 11:29 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I've got it sorted with the constant being hunted down and blown to smithereens. As soon as I exit hyperspace pull 90 degrees away from the planet and hyperspeed for a while before nose down and head back towards the planet. Keeps you out the shipping lane and don't encounter anyone else

Narcotics/Firearms and slaves FTW
It is faithful to the original, isnt it? Its going to cost me some weekend time!
Old 07 January 2011, 11:41 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Yep I think it is, bloody superb. The Mrs caught me playing it and took the p!ss asking what am I doing playing some saddo geeky 80's cr4p when I have an xbox and ps3 sitting next to me. Bloody Women don't understand nostalgia

As for docking I couldn't be doing with that so added it in the save file. I used a hex editor on the original to add it back then as well
My mate set me up with a docking computer back on my Electron days, perhaps that is why Im struggling now. How do you add the save file, and where is the gen?
Old 07 January 2011, 11:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, itll make things easier!

Quick Reply: OLD School game " ELITE " Question