Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Film industry out to get Newzbin again..

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2010, 08:43 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Film industry out to get Newzbin again..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...pa-bt-newzbin2

Old 16 December 2010, 09:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally is not just for Torrent,Rapidshare users,now for Newsgroup.Justice exist.
Old 16 December 2010, 09:13 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jura11
Finally is not just for Torrent,Rapidshare users,now for Newsgroup.Justice exist.
Old 16 December 2010, 09:31 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antc
Why?
Because you are using newsgroup?You must know consequence of this downloading.Or just you are paying extra for Usenext or Newsgroup,but these your newsgroup illegally sharing files(movies,games etc.),and don't pay money(fees) to RIAA,MPA or other....
You are now on same boat like torrent user,which have everything for free
Old 16 December 2010, 11:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

When WB states it lost money on the last Harry potter film ( not deathly hallow) then there is somethign not quite right. I am aware that it is down to Hollywood accounting, bit it is a joke

I have a friend in the film industry, who has worked on small and big budget films and I have asked him for his thoughts on downloading and if he felt his job or the industry was really a risk. Not surprisingly he said that from his view it is not about to collapse. He did no exactly condone downloading but he said that if they stopped putting out many movies then it might be due to piracy hurting he bottom line
When was the lasttime you heard that all a studios films were being cancelled due to lack of money ( ok MGM could be one) but I do not see a slow down in th number of films coming out

The music and movie business have not caught on to the changing times and perhaps if they did and changed things such as pricing and availability then piracy might lessen
Old 17 December 2010, 08:37 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Why?
Because you are using newsgroup?You must know consequence of this downloading.Or just you are paying extra for Usenext or Newsgroup,but these your newsgroup illegally sharing files(movies,games etc.),and don't pay money(fees) to RIAA,MPA or other....
You are now on same boat like torrent user,which have everything for free
The smilies aimed at your remark , theyve targeted the above and they have failed. Newsgroups are slightly different as you are not uploading.

Before my little one was born me and the wife would go to the cinema at least once but more often twice a week depending what films are showing.£15 or £20 (3D) a time. They've not done bad out of me.

Also to go along with this over 200 DVDs and 50 bluray I dont mind paying for good quality films but the industry churns that much crap out , I'd be peed off if I wasted £12 on a **** film.

My last bluray film was avatar and I seen that at the cinema. Like I said before if the films good.

On average I get about one film a week all the other downloads are shows from the USA. I buy music from iTunes.

Also no profits have been made from downloading unlike some downloaders.
Old 17 December 2010, 10:46 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

So they close Newzbin, there's plenty of others

Even if they close them all down, with today's fast broadband it's not such a ballache to use the built in search function of something like Newsbin Pro and then just download from the search results directly from Usenet.

If the MPA wants to stop this, then they should try looking at a decent pricing policy for their films.

They are having a laugh anyway, modern films pull in much more than they used to, even allowing for inflation. Back in the day, you didn't have DVD/Blu Ray revenues and film merchandising was simply not heard of.

Also factor in multi-screen cinemas so each film can be show for a much longer period of time than previously, they are raking it in.

The only really criminals here are the film studios.

Geezer
Old 17 December 2010, 01:14 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If their was a subscription based service for about £15-£20 a month and unlimited download rentals in hd, I would do it.
Old 17 December 2010, 06:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^ Love films do an online rental service which is £10 a month for everything they have and it can be viewed thru media players and PS3's
Old 17 December 2010, 07:08 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Plenty of legit ways kicking about now to be fair.

The only film downloads i do are from Xbox Live, or i just wait for the DVD.

Sitting at home, with my beer, on my nice sofa, with the surround sound on and a nice big plasma, fecking perfect.

People deserve to be paid for their work IMHO, if its **** work, then i dont pay, because i dont watch.