Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Want to send email from account A using provider B - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2010, 11:03 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Want to send email from account A using provider B - possible?

Wasn't sure how to word the title.

At work, we each have our own email address.

At home, I use a different provider. If I want to send emails using my work address from home I have to use their website which is a bit clunky.

I've been told by a colleague who used to work for an ISP that it is possible to send emails from my home PC using my work address?

How is this achieved?

Another work colleague has the same problem. He is stuck in a new contact so can't migrate to the work provider. He too wants to use his work email from home.
Old 16 November 2010, 11:24 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To use work e-mail adresses at home we have to bring a laptop into work and the IT guys set up a "VPN" on the Laptop.

Whatever that is LOL

Shaun
Old 16 November 2010, 11:24 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if you use outlook you will need to set up two different email profiles

one for home and one for work -- the gotcha is that the outgoing smtp server for your work email account will need to be the ISP's when you are connecting via your home ISP connection.

(unless your work smtp server accepts authentication or your home public IP address is added to the work SMTP relay properties)

an email server (MTA sever) does not care what the email header is (you@work.com or you@home.com) only whether you are allowed to submit mail to it
Old 16 November 2010, 12:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is certainly possible to do. As said by others, you need to setup a new "account" in your email package at home and enter the same settings you have at work in regards to incoming and outgoing email servers. This would allow you to use the work email server to send emails. The key thing here is wether the work email server will accept your IP address.

I managed the email server for my previous company and it was configured to only allow certain IP addresses to send email, otherwise it'd act as an open relay and could be hijacked by spammers.

VPN might be another solution, as it'd put you on the internal network, so your machine would be seen as if it's at work.

One other thing to look into is wether your ISP blocks the ports used by mail servers (110 and 25, one of them is pop, the other is smtp, I think 25 is the latter). I know bell connections over here block port 25, so I had to setup the mail server to serve on a higher port to work round this.
Old 19 November 2010, 12:31 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need an SMTP service like www.authsmtp.com

You can send out from any domain from anywhere and it's really cheap. We use it all the time.
Old 24 November 2010, 09:03 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ask It at work, if your using Exchange server as the mail server, and they have published it external with HTTP/RPC IE Outlook anywhere it should be simple.

Outlook web access sometimes indicates they do, But if its exchange 2003 it may not be.

Check with your internal IT if they allow Outlook anywhere without a VPN Tunnel

if so i can assist ya its easy
Old 24 November 2010, 07:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We are only a little IFA practice - I am the IT department