Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What is a normal operating temp' for the Macbook ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2010, 09:20 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What is a normal operating temp' for the Macbook ?

My white Macbook keeps dropping the wifi signal strength. The internet connect shows a variation anywhere between 2/3 bars upto the full 15 depending upon how long the laptop has been switched on and running. I have SMC fan control downloaded and the present temp as shown at the top of the screen now is 47C 5354rpm. Is this a normal operating temp or not ? Just normal use, email , safari etc no graphics or heavy word processing.
I am trying to eliminate possible causes of the varying signal level strength to pinpoint the problem.
Thanks

JBL
Old 27 July 2010, 10:16 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

47 seems ok, heat shouldn't affect the wifi either way.
Old 27 July 2010, 11:51 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One thing to point out, if you're browsing and hit a flash site, eg; diablo 3 website, then it could cause the machine to warm up as it'll max out the CPU. So if you hit a flash site and switch to another app, there will still be some draw from Safari, so that could warm things up.

The temp might cause a problem with wi-fi, if it's a dodgy connection on the board, wasn't there some issue with things heating up and due to thermal expansion something would stop working? Could be same type of thing here.