Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iphone update

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 07:31 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iphone update

When I updated my 3G to IOS4, it really ruined the phone its now so slow, it takes 9 seconds just to open my messages I thought I could just ignore it but its winding me up

I have a new 3GS so my question is this, has anyone updated on a 3GS with any issues?? I dont want to set it up if its going to be the same

Cheers
Old 13 July 2010, 07:54 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 32gb 3gs is noticably laggier in certain tasks, and randomly closes out of programs, wish to **** I never bothered.
Old 13 July 2010, 07:59 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my 16gb 3gs is the same very slow shows great signal but takes ages to open internet pages
Old 13 July 2010, 08:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

3G is slow on iOS4, it was slow anyhow, there are a few suggestions on the Apple support forum, turning off Spotlight search has worked for some, and a full restore has helped.

3GS should work just fine, mine and every other 3GS I've handled works perfectly. Try a full restore from iTunes.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:41 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

It has absolutly fecked my 16g 3GS so much so i am going to bin it.

Keyboard has a mind of it's own

Locks up all the time and i have to master reset via the handset

Can't access wifi for love nor money, finds my wifi shows full conection but won't load a page for ****, can only get on the Internet via that 'circle logo' or 3G and they are both slow as anything.

When on 3G it locks up and freezes too many times it's beyond a joke.

Thanks apple for not testing A) the iPhone 4 so no point getting an upgrade and B) foe screwing the software for he current 3GS
Old 13 July 2010, 10:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
It has absolutly fecked my 16g 3GS so much so i am going to bin it.

Keyboard has a mind of it's own

Locks up all the time and i have to master reset via the handset

Can't access wifi for love nor money, finds my wifi shows full conection but won't load a page for ****, can only get on the Internet via that 'circle logo' or 3G and they are both slow as anything.

When on 3G it locks up and freezes too many times it's beyond a joke.

Thanks apple for not testing A) the iPhone 4 so no point getting an upgrade and B) foe screwing the software for he current 3GS
have you tried a restore instead of update?
Old 13 July 2010, 10:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'll give you £100 for your 3GS if it's that bad.
Old 13 July 2010, 10:24 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ant, i have rest the handset via the handset itself and the next thing is to try via iTunes and if no joy then I give up

Jack it is that bad and i wonder why I am paying £45+ a month for nothing. If it goes I will restore it to factory settings and sell it for more than £100 mate or recycle it as last time I looked they were giving £180 for a 3GS

Just can't believe that apple did not test it properly on both formats
Old 13 July 2010, 10:31 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

o2 are doing buy backs for people upgrading to iphone 4

They offered 138quid for my 8GB 3G
Old 13 July 2010, 11:03 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

yeah you need to do it via itunes, i know 3 people with the ios 4 update and had no problems with the older phones. Be patient there's a new firmware update around the corner
Old 14 July 2010, 11:00 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

I know loads of friends who experienced slowness because they upgraded or preformed a restore to IOS 4 on their 3G/3GS. However there is a way to get the phone working at normal speeds on IOS 4.
Unfortunately it means you have to factory reset your phone and reapply IOS 4 on a clean install. The phone will then be back at normal speeds. Once the phone is working again, you then apply your apps/contacts/music etc
It is a pain in the **** but at least you will have a working phone again.
Old 14 July 2010, 11:11 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
I know loads of friends who experienced slowness because they upgraded or preformed a restore to IOS 4 on their 3G/3GS. However there is a way to get the phone working at normal speeds on IOS 4.
Unfortunately it means you have to factory reset your phone and reapply IOS 4 on a clean install. The phone will then be back at normal speeds. Once the phone is working again, you then apply your apps/contacts/music etc
It is a pain in the **** but at least you will have a working phone again.
That's what a restore is
Old 14 July 2010, 11:54 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've done two factory resets on my 32gb 3gs, (The first because itunes screwed up the upgrade, and second to try and fix the thing) and despite that, it's slow and unreliable (crashing during phone calls, slow response times, email that slows to a crawl when trying to scroll through the list etc). To be honest, at this point I'm thinking of going out and buying another cheap phone simply so I can make calls reliably. This experience has completely put me off apple products. Won't be upgrading to an iphone 4 thats for sure.
Old 14 July 2010, 12:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The confusing thing Iain is that we're all in the same boat, we all have the same operating system, drivers and hardware, so I'm dumbfounded as to how yours can be any different to the rest of ours.

Is it slow and unreliable before you restore your back up?
Old 14 July 2010, 12:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Like I said before, make judgement after the bug fix update is released

Last edited by Ant; 14 July 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 12:29 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The phone was 100% fine before I installed the ios4 update Jack. Since the install, it has been an unreliable and slow bag of poo I'm glad it's working for you, but if you do a google search you will see loads of people on the interweb having similar issues to myself. I can put up with things being a bit slow (it's frustrating, but is not the end of the world), however having the phone frequently crash while simply making a phone call is not exactly desireable.

I will make a judgement now thank you antc. Apple should have tested the update before releasing to the public. I now have an almost useless phone which I have to put up with until they decide to release a patch (which may be another 6 months for all I know). Not happy.
Old 14 July 2010, 12:53 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Mine has crashed & rebooted twice, while on a call, since iOS4 - not impressed. It's noticeably slower too. I think a downgrade to 3.1.3 is whats called for in my case (32gb 3Gs) - I get the feeling iOS 4 was designed for the iPhone 4 & the A4 chip, not the earlier phones.

Poor show Apple!
Old 14 July 2010, 01:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young

I will make a judgement now thank you antc. Apple should have tested the update before releasing to the public. I now have an almost useless phone which I have to put up with until they decide to release a patch (which may be another 6 months for all I know). Not happy.
They had a few betas out with no problem, you can downgrade your firmware if it was that bad. For a new os release and you not to expect bugs you're delusional.windows 7 has been out for a while now and still is bug fixes being released.like I said I know people that have upgraded (not made up people to prove my point) my dad has has no problem neither my father in law.
Old 14 July 2010, 01:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't expect an release from Apple for a while yet. I wish you lived close by as I'm almost certain I could fix it. As I said before you have the same software and hardware as I do, there's no reason at all that mine should run perfectly and yours run like a dog.

Maybe you should download the firmware and start again.
Old 14 July 2010, 01:44 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

There was a release due anytime last week
But rumours have it they delayed to patch up the jailbreak exploit.
Old 14 July 2010, 02:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Don't hold you're breath, I can't think of a reason and there would have been a release on the developer site probably a month before general release.
Old 14 July 2010, 02:09 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

They've gotta realease one soon to sort this "signal issue" out.
Old 14 July 2010, 03:09 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
They had a few betas out with no problem, you can downgrade your firmware if it was that bad.
After the trouble I had upgrading the thing in the first place using the official itunes updater, I daren't try the unofficial downgrades. One step solution for completely bricking the phone.

For a new os release and you not to expect bugs you're delusional.
It's not a new OS. It's a small evolution of the previous one. There's a big difference. There is also a huge difference between the size and capabilities of something like windows 7 and the iphone os, so your comparison does not really hold water. Plus I am not delusional. I'm a professional software developer, who has been writing code like this for over 15 years (and was a pro software tester for 5 years before that). Our company releases products that are far more complicated than that which is contained within the iphone, we have a fraction of Apples budget, and yet we still manage to release bug-free software on a regular basis. It's called testing, (something which Apple does not seem to have heard of).

I know people that have upgraded (not made up people to prove my point) my dad has has no problem neither my father in law.
Good for you. I can show you people that have upgraded successfully as well. I can also show you loads who haven't. Just do a web search and see the thousands of posts around the world from people having similar issues (they're not hard to find).

As for holding up the release of a patch because of fixing the jailbreak, that really shows where Apples priorities lay. "Let's not release a fix for the people having problems at the moment, even though we screwed up. Let's leave it until we've fixed the hole which might be losing us some extra dollars". Nice way to treat your customer base.
Old 14 July 2010, 03:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You're not going to find articles on the web saying how people are happy with the upgrade are you? Of course you are going to find people moaning about the update.

As for then windows comparison maybe was a bad idea, but I do have previous with symbian phones and blackberry and the iPhone alot more stable then them.

I know about your background as you've posted it before. But if the testers are coming back sayin it's all good what more can apple do!?

A guy with your experience I would of thought downgrading would be a piece of cake.
Old 14 July 2010, 04:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
A guy with your experience I would of thought downgrading would be a piece of cake.
Experience has nothing to do with it. You just use the tools they provide (I don't have access to their source code). Given the amount of trouble I had getting the thing to upgrade using the official update, I dread to think what might happen using an unofficial one. Can you garauntee that it's going to work?
Old 14 July 2010, 04:16 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I've done it in a couple of friends as they wanted it back to jailbroken state. One of them I had a nightmare with but sorted it in the end
Old 14 July 2010, 05:55 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3g is a little slower on OS4 but only really on loading the messaging app and the pictures. safar web access is just the same if not slightly faster and its certainly more stable. Its been much better after a restore.

I wonder if the problem phones are being updated via windows PC's as opposed to OSX ?
Old 14 July 2010, 06:55 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mines was pc windows
Old 15 July 2010, 06:20 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apple press conference on Friday, looking like I was wrong, update may well be on it's way.
Old 15 July 2010, 07:37 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Apple press conference on Friday, looking like I was wrong, update may well be on it's way.

Quick Reply: iphone update