Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2010, 09:35 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgrading to Snow Leopard

I am currently on Mac OS X 10.4.11. Should I expect any issues if upgrading to Snow Leopard such as compatibility with printer etc or running any of my current software?
Old 22 June 2010, 09:51 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use Rosetta for anything you might have to re install, but that will be about it.
Old 22 June 2010, 11:50 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I would do is hop over here and check that the third party software you use is compatible with SL.

When it comes to external hardware, go to the manufacturers site and see if they have an update, and I mean really dig around, if they have a note about SL, click on it and read it to make sure there is a download link in there. HP were VERY behind the times. A friend had a scanner that was about two years old and they purchased a new iMac with SL pre-installed. HP said compatible drivers would appear in a month, this then dropped to november. They had a link which mentioned download, but when clicked on took you to an info page. Finally, in around Feb/March this year they released drivers.

As Simon mentions, if you have anything that uses rosetta (in other words, PowerPC applications) then you'll need to do one of two things, install Rosetta (custom install when you're installing SL) or upgrade to a new version that supports intel. Former option is free, latter option isn't, but I'd strongly recommend the latter option as you'd see a speed increase and probably better stability too as the app would not be running under emulation.