Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win 98SE Oddity

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2002, 08:50 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

I wonder if anyone out there can help me with this one.

I fitted a DVD ROM to a friend's PC last night, and thought I would do a bit of housekeeping for him. When I opened Explorer the columns on view in the right hand pane looked very odd. Instead of the normal Name|Size|Type|Modified|Attributes columns he had only Size|Name|Type |Attribute. This made deciding which files were old enough to delete very difficult.

Thanks goodness File Manager is still lurking in the Windows directory (even though it doesn't support long file names) as it did the job.

The question is, how did this happen to Explorer, and how do I correct it? Registry hack?
Old 28 March 2002, 11:07 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can re-size the column headings so that they disappear - that's all I can think of atm.
Old 29 March 2002, 09:01 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

bttt
Old 29 March 2002, 10:19 AM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Agree with FJ. Are you absolutely sure it's not just been resized? Someone has obviously changed things as the columns are not in the default order, it has been changed by dragging the column headings about.

On a lot of systems you can visually see if a column has been resized to zero, the vertical line between the column headings doesn't quite contact the top horizontal line of the headings. A quirk of effectively having two vertical lines displayed over each other, doesn't happen on all graphics cards though.
Old 29 March 2002, 10:25 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right click on one of the existing field tabs. Not sure if it's the same on 98SE but on Win ME you can select which ones to display.

After right clicking you should see a tick list of viewed tabs and then you can pick which ones you want to see.

Old 29 March 2002, 04:07 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Talking

Thanks guys.

I think it must be a combination of resizing the column widths and dragging them into a different order. I have just tried it on my Win 98SE machine and I managed to completely mess it up (which must have been what my friend did in the first place - he's a complete nightmare when it comes to computers).

Now about to make sure I can get mine back to normal.