Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Security Tool problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2010, 11:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Security Tool problem

My daughter has been playing on my laptop for about a month now and she has installed or added a trojan?? You switch the laptop on and it instantly comes up with a box saying "security tool warning" your pc is infected with a virus. It then scans the pc and comes up with 42 infections. The boxes stay in the middle of the screen and keep poping up every other minute. If you click thru to keep the warning happy it takes you to a £80 upgrade package and I even think it has my mcaffee virus fecked as when I went to that it came it with £38 for the year to upgrade?? I can't install any other software to delete this as it blocks it and I can't system restore as it blocks it, I also can't upgrade windows with the malicious software update as it blocks it

Every minute the box's for this pops up and you have to click on say 3 box's just to get rid of the pop ups. I have no idea what she has installed so I can't delete it and when I try to delete most boxes in program files thatg I don't recognise guess what it won't delete them. Failing formatting the laptop is there anything I can do as I feel like throwing it off the wall at the moment
Old 04 April 2010, 11:32 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...own-cures.html

THIS MAY HELP YOU
Old 05 April 2010, 12:01 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I think from reading that page I will just take my own advice and format the laptop? I don't think I will be able to trust the laptop for using a credit card if I do a manual removal?? It does have me thinking that the software doctor or what ever it was called that was/is supposed to remove this is responsible for it
Old 05 April 2010, 12:33 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

As said you need to boot in safe mode if possible then run the malwarebytes software

Dont forget to turn off system restore

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ma..._anti_malware/
Old 05 April 2010, 01:17 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I think from reading that page I will just take my own advice and format the laptop? I don't think I will be able to trust the laptop for using a credit card if I do a manual removal?? It does have me thinking that the software doctor or what ever it was called that was/is supposed to remove this is responsible for it
no need for a reformat

security-tool is pretty simple to rmove, and is some scumbags idea of how to make money buy implying your pc is infected, no need to re-format, the program is appearing to control your PC / laptop as it is autorunning on startup.

the easiest way to locate the startup file for security tool, is to find the desktop shortcut, rightclick on it, select 'properties' select 'find target'.

if it is hiding your desktop, you need to use the 'run' command, and then enter the desktop location as follows C:\Documents and Settings\all users\Desktop. This is assuming that you use C drive for windows. (note the space in all users) this will show all your desktop files in ie....ignore the repeated popups from security-tool, and just slide the window off to the side if it is obstructing your view, don't close the popup as it will link back into security-tool's fake virus scan.

after you have found the target folder, make a note of it's location, locate the .exe file (it will be a sequence of about 8 random numbers, note this down) and rename it, just add a few letters on, this will prevent it from starting up when you restart the pc.

restart the pc

your desktop will be back to normal, do the same again with the shortcut (rightclick, properties, find target). or navigate to it's location that you made a note of earlier using ie

go up a level and delete the folder, delete the shortcut, it will also be in windows startup, and you may get an error everytime you restart your pc, to prevent this, do the following.

start, run, msconfig, startup, locate the startup program (the sequence of 8 random numbers you made a note of earlier) and de-tick the box.

there will also be registry entry for the program, (i will not show you how to edit registry because if you do not know, then do not do it, damage can be done in there)

finally, a malware/spyware/virus scan is needed in case the source of the program is another progrma that has been downloaded, although it is likely a link was clicked on a webpage to install security-tool as a standalone program.
Old 05 April 2010, 07:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I must of caught this trojan just intime after I deleted the virus from the startup I then went into the registry and all the files I was supposed to delet weren't there. I have installed Kaspersky 2010 internet security and Eastec eraser as that just gets rid of everything It was a hell of a lot easier to gt rid of than I thought
Old 07 April 2010, 01:56 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badcompany
As said you need to boot in safe mode if possible then run the malwarebytes software

Dont forget to turn off system restore

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ma..._anti_malware/
Malwarebytes did it for me too - easy peasy

Pete The Biker